“Sushi quality has slipped”

Tokyo Sushi Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 44 Restaurants in Herkimer
Reviewed 21 August 2018

Have been ordering from Tokyo Sushi for about two years. My experience over time has been less and less appealing when it comes to the quality of the sashimi it has become very inconsistent. My last 15 piece order had about 6 quality bites; the rest was completely inedible. I certainly do not consider only receiving 14 pieces acceptable nor do I consider imitation crab or a sorry looking butterflied shrimp to be quality sushi. Will have to look elsewhere if things don't change.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Best sushi I’ve eaten so far! Love the eel and avocado roll!! My go to is the three roll combo as I think it is a good price and the rolls taste great. Super fresh!! I’ve never been disappointed with Tokyo sushi. The ladies at the counter and super sweet and friendly :)

I very much prefer Tokyo sushi compared to any place in Utica area.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 17 August 2017

This restaurant has been around a long time, and the sushi in the name scares people away. They serve a lot of hot and cooked food too. I recommend the Hibachi for the newcomer

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

We liked the idea that Tokyo Sushi is a Japanese restaurant, not a Chinese place that also serves sushi. There is a sushi counter in the restaurant and you can watch the guy make your sushi. Menu is extensive with many, many types of Sushi - raw and cooked, plus hibachi, teriyaki and tempura.
Our kids ordered the big bento boxes of sushi, which were beautiful and delicious. Others had seaweed salad, spring rolls, stir fried udon noodles with chicken and tempura shrimp and squid. Portions were pretty large and items were artfully presented. We were very happy with everything but the fried rice, which was ordinary.
It is located in Herkimer in a very unassuming building. Inside is clean and attractive, but not exotic and beautiful. We met the owner, Nina, who was friendly and helpful. She answered our questions and made some good recommendations.
We will definitely return! Worth the drive from Utica!

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

The sushi rolls here are pretty good and the prices are great. It was a nice place to have lunch and catch up with old friends while visiting the area. Well be back.

Date of visit: June 2017