All reviews adirondack chairs great room mohonk preserve mountain view yogurt hard boiled eggs common room continental breakfast fitness room each morning comfortable rooms fireplace proximity
Reviewed 22 August 2018

We came here for a short vacation and to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Our first two nights at the Minnewaska Lodge were delightful. The view of the cliff is beautiful, the hotel's proximity to Mohonk Reserve and Minnewaska is fabulous. The bed was comfortable. The back porch on our room was delightful Breakfast was great for being continental - though, like other reviewers, I think it is served too late. If you're there to hike or bike, not being able to eat until 8, is late. Unlike others, I have no complaints about the front desk staff. I found them to be friendly and helpful. The cookies were sometimes there and sometimes not there. The fitness facility is closed as noted by another reviewer.

It was the third night when things went poorly and then became perplexing. The people above us had their TV cranked so loud we could hear it. We could hear it over the A/C, we could hear it over our own TV. It was aggravating. Particularly when it woke us up at 1:30 in the morning, still going. The A/C couldn't drown it out, a pillow over our heads didn't work...we called the front desk and the person said he'd do what he could. We waited, with the TV blaring continuing, for an hour for something to happen. The front desk person had clearly done something because we heard the people upstairs get up and move around, but no change in the TV volume. At 2:30 am, my husband went to the front desk and they offered a key for us to sleep in a different room saying they were unable to get any response by phone or at the door from the people in the loud room. We went to the new room. We tried to sleep. The next morning, we went back to our room to pack up. The TV was still blaring. We went to breakfast and came back - still blaring. We packed - still blaring. We ended up outside on the porch for peace because even during waking hours it was crazy loud and annoying.

At checkout on Saturday, I was advised to call the General Manager to discuss this because she would be able to help us. So, I waited until Monday and called her (wondering why it isn't their policy to follow-up with customers who are known to have had a significant issue - but, okay...) She said that they had done all they could short of calling the police, but that she'd check with another management-level person to determine whether there was anything else they could do. She told me she would get back to me no later than Tuesday morning. I am writing this on Wed and have still heard nothing back.

I guess my issue is two-fold. First, they are charging luxury hotel rates (that loud night of no sleep was $270 before resort fees and taxes) and providing something far short of what I expect from a luxury hotel. Second, while I appreciate that the noise was not caused by the hotel, I also know that my husband and I are the only people who were inconvenienced - the people with the loud tv likely went back to sleep, the hotel got its money, while I got 4 hours of sleep and a very high level of frustration. I don't think it's right that my husband and I should be the only ones who suffered when we did less 'wrong' and had less 'control' than anyone else in this situation. Basically, what started as a lovely vacation was wrecked not only by the loud TV, but also the complete lack of support we received from everyone except the woman working at the desk (who was very kind and helpful) - apparently no one at the hotel, including the GM, is empowered to make customers happy and that's a real shame and, frankly, it's really confusing as New Paltz is a college town with several other hotels for guests to choose. I hope to return to New Paltz again and will certainly be looking at other properties there rather than staying at this lodge.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are apparently not very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chandrao46
Reviewed 19 August 2018

This place has so much potential but currently doesn't earn more than 3 stars from me.

The lodge has a nice view of the mountain and is only one mile from Minnewaska State Park and Mohonk Preserve. The problems start with check in. The parking lot is about 50 yards down hill from the lodge. There are 3 regular spots and 2 handicap spots near the door, but they are always taken. Vehicles are also parked in the circular drive, so it's not possible to park there while you unload your luggage. You have to drag your luggage up the hill, then up several stairs.

We had a deluxe double room with a mountain view. The room was fairly clean and the beds were comfortable. One bed skirt was stained and there were dead bugs in the window sills. The walls are paper thin. We could hear everything said in the room next to us and the people in the room above us sure sounded like they had a good time in bed. The air conditioning in the room above us dripped loudly outside our room, so I had to climb over the railing and place something on the windowsill to absorb the sound. There no ice or refrigerator available, so I bought a Styrofoam cooler and filled it with ice every night so I could have cold water from my hikes each day.

The bathroom didn't have a soap dish, so the wet soap was pretty much glued to the counter for our 3 night stay. The heat lamp in the bathroom looked like it would fall out of the ceiling at any minute. The bathroom smelled like sulfer - I assume there is a high sulfer content in the water. We had 4 nice bath towels in the room when we checked in, but housekeeping removed two of the towels on our second night and didn't replace them. The bath gel, shampoo and conditioner are nice, but they are in pump bottles bolted to the wall. Our shampoo pump didn't work and we couldn't get the bottle out to use it, so we asked the young lady at the front desk to fix it. When we came back later that night, the shampoo pump worked but the conditioner pump didn't - they had simply switched the pumps.

The breakfast is continental. It is very nice fruit, cereals, toast, oatmeal with toppings and very dry bread (supposed to be banana bread or date bread, but I took one bite and tossed it). I believe they did also have hardboiled eggs. Breakfast isn't served until 8 am, making it useless if you want an early hiking start to beat the heat.

The exercise room is permanently closed and we never saw the advertised cookies or afternoon tea. When we came in the third day, we asked the woman at the desk if there were cookies today. She never looked up and simply grunted. We found out the next day that her name is Chrissy, and she is the housekeeping manager.

In summary, the rooms are comfortable enough and the lodge is in a great location near hiking and restaurants, but it could be so much more with better management.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Tammy P, General Manager at Minnewaska Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2018

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay. I would kindly ask you to give me a call at the lodge 845 255 1110, so that we can discuss this in more detail.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

Love this place! It’s peaceful and the views out back are amazing. The rooms are comfortable and clean and make you feel right and home. The breakfast included a variety of different items and plenty of fresh fruit!!! This is my third experience at the hotel and I definitely will be going back. It’s not stuffy like your typical chain hotels and even the staff makes you feel like family. Tammy and Chrissy always take great care of us!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

I wanted to come to this lodge because I had a great experience here a few years ago. I brought my boyfriend here, telling him our whole way up just how beautiful it was. Big mistake. Power went out after 2 minutes of rain. Our sheets, blanket, and all pillowcases were covered with streaks of dirt. We were told by the front desk that it would be addressed so we decided to be patient with the maids and give them another day to clean up. The next day, our bedding was put BACK on the bed. We did not receive new sheets, blankets or pillowcases. This place is absolutely disgusting and I’m embarrassed that my boyfriend and I had to waste our time and money here. Never again.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley B
Tammy P, General Manager at Minnewaska Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I assure you that I have addressed the housekeeping issues with my staff. The power going out upon your arrival was due to a thunderstorm and we are sorry for that inconvenience. Our generator came on to assist in making the power outage less stressful until full power was restored by the power company.

Again I am sorry and I am hopeful that you will give us a chance to earn your business back. Thank you and if you would like to discuss further please contact me at the lodge.

Respectfully,

Tammy Purdy

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Beware, hotel personnel enters locked rooms without knocking door. If you don’t put “don’t disturb” on door, maidens enter without knocking. We complained to receptionist and old lady told “we don’t have to knock, it’s your opinion”. Weird experience. Hostile service.. First such hotel.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alexander K
Tammy P, General Manager at Minnewaska Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Dear Guest,

I was sorry to hear about the incident during your recent stay. I can assure you this is not our normal practice and I personally have spoken to the HK invoiced. I again apologize and hope that you will stay with us again.

Tammy Purdy