“Decent Hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Poughkeepsie/Fishkill
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Fishkill
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I stayed at the HGI the middle of August in 2012 and found that it was satisfactory. If you're used to the average HGI, this will not disappoint.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, even when I needed help finding a good running trail in the neighborhood.

It was across the street from where I was working along with a whole host of restaurants and even a movie theater.

The only thing I didn't care for was how often the fourth floor smelled of smoke. When I pointed it out, the front desk person graciously apologized and went upstairs with a large bottle of Fabreeze.

The next time I'm in the area, I'll be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed here on a Monday night in August 2012. I was visiting the area for business in Newburgh, which is only about 30 minutes away. The hotel is right off I-84 in a lovely business park. Ruby Tuesday is right across the parking lot and Charlie Brown Steakhouse is also just a short walk away. The room was clean, staff was very helpful and the fitness center was open 24 hours! Everything about the stay was fantastic. Nancy was working the bar downstairs as she has for many years. She is a very nice lady and really great to talk to. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area. I almost forgot, I arrived early at approx. 1:30 pm and the hotel front desk was very accommodating in getting me into a room that had been clean. That was very helpful as I had a lot of computer work to do.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Iowa_Brett
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed here last night for one night and found the hotel clean and the rooms a nice size (with a mini-fridge and microwave, which were nice features). That's where the positive ended for us. We checked in on the later side, around 10pm and were "greeted" by an employee who was unfriendly and seemed bothered to have to deal with us. I asked him if some extra pillows could be sent up when they had a chance (I'm pregnant and have been needing lots of pillow to get comfortable lately) and he said "I don't know if we have any extras, the hotel is pretty full". Although I understand that supplies might be more limited at a time like this, I thought it was a bit unaccomodating and curt for him to respond this way (without checking first), especially since this was my only request. Also, you're a major hotel, I find it hard to believe that there are not a few extra pillows around. Ultimately, he did bring some extra pillow to the room, which I was very grateful for and was sure to thank him.

I thought those extra pillow would help me get comfortable for a decent night's sleep, until my husband and I walked into a stuffy, and VERY warm room. Of course, there is so need to run the AC when guests are not in the room, as that's a complete waste of energy, but a fan or some kind of circulation would have helped the temperature and stuffiness tremendously. We put on the AC on high and assumed we'd wait for the room to cool off. The AC was weak, at best, and the entire night we could not sleep due to the room being so uncomfortably hot. At first I thought it was just me, because of the pregnancy and tending to be warm, but my husband also complained of this all night. I slept 3 hours, max, and my husband, maybe 4. We found the mattress uncomfortably soft, but that's really a matter of preference. Not a comfortable stay at all.

Given our experience, we wanted to get up and out for the room early and on with our day. We just wanted to get out of there. Our statement for the one night was slipped under our door with directions for an "express checkout" option and directions on how to do so via the phone. This option did not work as no computerized function came on, nor a live person. It just rang and rang. With that, we decided to check out the typical way on our way out.

At this point I was going to ask to speak with a manger. I thought it was important for them to know the issues we'd experienced, as I'm sure we were not the only guests in the hotel who had. I stopped at the front desk to check out around 8:30am. I told the woman there that I had tried to utilize the express checkout option, but it hadn't worked from the room. She had no explanation besides a shrug and a look that implied that she was not surprised by this. She asked what room we were in, we told her, and with that she said "you're all set". Never looked at the paper statement I provided her ,(to make sure it was indeed our room and she was charging us appropriately) never asked how our stay was, never asked if we needed anything. At that point I figured that there was an overwhelming lack of customer service as this hotel, and we just left. I didn't even bother speaking to a manger given the lack of basic customer service we'd experienced. I figured I'd just go on Trip Advisor and give a real and candid review to help others (because, truthfully, this is the site I check out when I'm trying to gauge hotels).

Not a horrific stay, but there were some deal breakers, for example, not being able to sleep in your hotel room because it's so, so, so hot and unaccomodating, inhospitable staff (with the hospitality industry no less!).

There are literally 3 hotels within yards of this hotel (one shares a parking lot). I'd go with them, as this was not Hilton quality nor worth the extra few dollars that Hilton's typically are over competitors.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jurassic1818
Chris R, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Poughkeepsie/Fishkill, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

I am terribly sorry to hear about the issues during your stay. I realize there are many other lodging options in Fishkill and we do try to maintain the highest Hilton standards while keeping our prices competitive. I thank you for bringing the problems you experienced to my attention - they will certainly be addressed.

I hope that if you are in need of a hotel room in our area again, you will allow us a second chance and contact me directly. I will be happy to make sure that your next stay not only exceeds your expectations, but makes up for the previous one.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Comfy beds, clean room, great AC and it was over 90 outside. Lovely breakfast in airy space. All the staff friendly and helpful. We didn't spend much time in the hotel as we were attending a wedding. If I needed to be in the area again I'd return gladly.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This hotel is very clean, quiet and convenient. All of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good with eggs made at your request. You can sit outide or inside. The pastries were flaky. As a Hilton Honors member, we could have chosen free breakfast or bonus points. It is a free membership. The room was a nice size and the bed can be adjusted for firmness levels. In the room, there is complimentary internet access, a refrigerator, coffee, and a microwave. There is a small indoor pool and a fitness center. Both are nice and clean. I would return here if in the area, any time.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business