Open today: 10:00 am - 5:30 pm

Great experience

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Global753282
via mobile

All reviews glider ride harris hill bucket list unique experience small amusement park purchased a gift certificate picnic area all ages pilot weight flight gliders birthday lbs restrictions capital grilling
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've never actually gone up for a ride but all my friends went soaring here when they were young and loved it. This would make a great gift or treat yourself to the quiet when you release from the tow plane and just float up to the heavens like a bird.

It is absolutely free to drive up to the top of the ridge and watch the planes take of and soar above your head. Bring a blanket to throw on the ground, lay down, and relax as you watch the planes far above or just sit on the benches provided.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I showed up not knowing if the passenger rides would be offered or not as it is very weather dependent but the day seemed nice. When I got there at around 10:30 a good many people were waiting. The guy working the ticket booth was very helpful and said they were trying to scrounge up other pilots. He put us on a list and called us when he estimated it to be an hour out. They did find some more pilots.At that point we were allowed to actually purchase tickets. I was nervous and my pilot went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable and checked in with me multiple times during the trip. Once I got off the ground and up in the air it became pretty peaceful, though. Despite the smooth ride it can make some people sick.

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

I had purchased a gift certificate for my husband for his birthday . Our two young adult sons and I drove him down and he was so excited . When we got there we were told there was too much cloud cover and he couldn’t go up ! We sat outside trying to decide what to do since it had been a 21/2 hour drive! Before too long we were told that it had lifted enough for him to go up!
He had an absolutely wonderful time . He said the pilot pointed out many things and he wished it could have lasted all afternoon!
The only regret I had was wishing I could have afforded a couple more tickets to have my sons go as well .
All staff there are top notch . They could not be friendlier ! We felt very comfortable talking with them about the planes and the what the experience would be like .
Highly reccomend this to anyone and everyone!

3  Thank Shirley V
Reviewed 3 August 2018

My mom grew up in the Elmira area and actually got the chance to be a glider pilot for a bit, until she had to get a job and give up the opportunity. This was back in the 1950s, and she'd not been up in a glider again. When we visited the area when I was a child, she would talk about her time gliding rather wistfully, but she never tried to go, saying it was too much money. I hadn't been back for a number of years, but decided to bring my family - my husband and kids, as well as my mom. We headed up to Harris Hill our first morning in town to watch the gliders taking off and landing, and I decided to surprise my mom with a glider ride She was very unsure at first, but after her ride she was just glowing. Thank you so much to the pilots and staff for making this moment for my mom happen!

Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

I won a raffle for two pairs of glider rides. I’m a local and I’ve lived in the soaring capital of America all my life and it never crossed my mind to go for a glider ride.

I’m happy to say that it was an amazing experience! I fly regularly and I’ve been on helicopters and hot air ballon rides and this was a unique experience to those. The glass cockpit gives almost a 360 areal view of the lovely southern tier region. The winding Chemung river, rolling hills, and a few of the finger lakes can easily be viewed.

My pilot was Evan H. He started flying at age 13 and is now a college student. He was highly professional and skilled. He had a wealth of information and told me all about flying. I felt very safe (plus being a local I had never heard of any glider accidents). He can also tell you all kinds of things in regards to the geography of the region. Thank you for a wonderful flight Evan.

Tip:
Motion sickness- I’ve never had this problem on a regular plan/helicopter but I do have this problem on busses/cars/ocean boats. I did get nauseous and wished I had take an over the counter preventative. I still had fun and I didn’t lose my cookies.... even though he had a barf bag for me if I needed it.

Sunglasses- it was very sunny

Small camera/go pro/Phone/- The view is spectacular

Cool clothing- dry fit and or lose layers. It gets hot enclosed in the glass lid but there are vents. Girls wear a hair tie.

Don’t touch anything lol. No really the glider can be controlled from the front or back so be aware of the levers and your body.

Weight- unfortunately and understandably there is a weight limit to this activity of 245 lb. I researched ahead of time and had the find a replacement for my hubby because he was over the limit. Even though he was disappointed, we both knew that lying about his weight would be dangerous for him and the pilot. Be honest and safe!

This is a fun and safe activity for people of all ages. I highly recommend this adventure in the sky

Reviewed 5 July 2018

Our Son got a surprise glider ride for his birthday. What an incredible experience soaring over Harris Hill and experiencing the incredible views. Everyone involved were so fantastic in making this happen. Very knowledgeable, professional pilots.Very affordable!!!!

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

This museum is one of two in the entire world dedicated to Gliders.
Who knew?

If aviation, or the History of Flight interest you, you must check this out!
We were in Horseheads for a wedding and found this museum on Trip Advisor. The museum is separate from the glider flights. It's small but it has a lot to see and learn.
The facilty appears to be fairly new. It has very nice displays, both on the floor and hanging from the ceiling.

Beware of the parking lot in front of the museum. It is actually a county road. We had a driver drove by we'll over 40 mph. **Do not let young children wander around**

There is a gift shop with a lot of cool flying toys and other items specific to gliders.
While on site we watched as gliders took off and landed. Very cool!

There is a small amusement park and picnic area on top of Harris Hill. No food or drinks at the museum.
We did not fly. We did not have any available time. There is a weight restriction of 245 lbs.

If this review has helped you make a decision, please give it a thumbs up. Thanks, and Happy Travels!

Reviewed 22 January 2018

This takes you back to the early days of flying and the experience of gliding over the beautiful country side is a world class experience

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

We were in the area for only two days and found this chance to go on a glider. Both of us took the opportunity and it was wonderful. Although a bit apprehensive at first the ride with very experienced pilot was amazing.
If you are in the area this is a must do.

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

Have my husband a gift for his birthday, a glider ride! He was so excited to do that, it was a crisp and beautiful day when he took his ride. What an experience it was.. Harris Hill is such a beautiful area and their is alot of history behind the hang gliding experience. Come check out all their is to know and see about It! And maybe even take a ride to see and hear how beautiful the countryside is.