“Great place for soaring”

Harris Hill Soaring Center
Ranked #3 of 22 things to do in Elmira
Reviewed 5 July 2016

This is the epicenter of soaring in the USA. The airport hosts many soaring competitions during the year, and during the summer does public glider rides. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The prices for the rides are less expensive than expected. However, be prepared to be patient; I visited during the first week of their operating season, in the middle of June, and they seemed to still be figuring out their operations. I have been told by others that conditions improve later in the season, so I would expect to have fewer problems in July and August. Despite this, I can highly recommend a visit. The ticket for the ride also gets you into the National Soaring Museum, which is at the other end of the parking lot from the Soaring Center's office.

All reviews
"birthday"
in 4 reviews
"wife"

Reviewed 11 February 2016

Harris Hill is the glider capital of the northeast. The Soaring Center sits at the top of Harris Hill which lover looks the Chemung Vally and Chemuch river in Big Flats, NY. It's a beautiful spot to visit with a driving range, swimming pool, putt-putt course and childrend rides. It's a wonderful place to hold a family outing or just to have a BBQ. Their are many picnic tables set among the beautiful wooded area of the hill and it's very peaceful to sit on a bench overlooking the valley as the gliders take off and land over your head. I strongly recommend it for locals, travels, and thrill-seekers

Reviewed 26 October 2015

I had a fantastic glider ride as a birthday present! The crew on the ground were extremely welcoming and professional. Glider flight is so elegant, with the only sound being the rush of the wind around the plane. This made it really easy to communicate with my pilot, Rob, about what we were going to do. I learned a whole lot about glider flight and had an absolute blast.

It's also worth noting that you can be at the mercy of the elements here - whether in terms of actually being able to get a flight and the quality of your flight. I'm thankful that we were able to hop onto a great wave system despite some not-so-great weather earlier on in the day. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 29 September 2015

Had my first Glider Ride Saturday with Moe as my pilot. It was outstanding. Moe went out of his way to explain soaring, piloting the plane, and let me take a brief turn at flying the Glider. It was a fantastic experience. In the fall, the operation is run by volunteers on the weekend. Most of them are pilots and older. They are very personable, down to earth, and friendly. Even my wife who didn't take a ride enjoyed talking with the staff on the ground. This is an experience you don't want to miss. Once the pilot tells you to pull the release lever attaching you to the tow plane, the adventure is on. The view is incredible of the Southern Tier and you seem to float thru the air. I am glad to have had this experience and plan to go back at least once a year.

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 September 2015 via mobile

I purchased a gift certificate for a glider ride for my fiance for his birthday. We arrived and were told he would be going up in the glider in 20-30 min. We waited after 30 min passed we were told he's next and will be going up. Needless to say we ended up waiting well over a hr and a lot of other gliders went up with people before he was able to. Other than that it was nice. He enjoyed the ride. The pilot let him steer the glider for a min while in the air. He said you are able to see a lot while gliding. It was $100 for the glider ride. Which seemed a little over priced.