“We love this place!”

Spare Rib
Ranked #13 of 135 Restaurants in Commack
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 24 July 2018

My friends and I live on Long Island and we've been coming to The Spare Rib for a few years now. I've always been very happy with the food. The menu is large so there are many things to choose from. Usually my friends get the bbq chicken or the ribs which are excellent! My favorite combo to get is the buffalo wings and riblets! The riblets have plenty of meat on them if you pick them up and eat them with your hands! Yeah it's messy, but who cares! That is how you eat ribs my friends. The portions are very large and filling. They always start you out with fresh corn bread with bread and butter. The cornbread is delicious! Most dinners come with two sides and a salad. My only complaint about this place is the salad. They give you mostly lettuce and hardly anything else. One slice of cucumber and one tomato. That is hardly a salad and they need to improve on this. If you want a Caesar salad, which I prefer, it's $2.99 extra. I think that is absolutely ridiculous! Any restaurants I have gone to either offers you a regular tossed salad or Caesar salad. I hope they decide to change that in the future. Some other delicious sides are corn on the cob, glazed carrots, and the bbq roasted potatoes! Super yummy! I've never tried their prime rib so I can't really comment on that, but I did have the shrimp scampi combo and I found the shrimp too small and not enough was given. Other then that I give this place a thumbs up! Make sure they give you a lot of hand wipes and enjoy the ribs! :)

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

I was shocked at how terrible this rib joint has become.
For years we enjoyed the ribs and broasted chicken at both the Hicksville and Commack locations. The Commack location now stands as the sole Spare Rib.
Maybe I should have known better than to order a lobster roll in a rib place. It was nothing more than fake crab meat, Alaskan Pollock with a microscopic piece of lobster claw. It was so full of onion is wasn’t edible. The grilled cheese brisket sandwich was no better. Toast burnt to black with dried out beef. The whole experience was disappointing after remembering how enjoyable every menu item used to be.
We were naive enough to order the brownie ice cream dessert. The brownie was so rock-like it caused laughter. It was so hard we couldn’t even break it apart. It had obviously been microwaved on high for so long that it was pulverized. Three huge scoops of vanilla ice cream covered in whipped cream was enjoyable.
Service was pleasant but nonexistent after our food was plunked down. All leading us to ask: what happened ?

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

A party of four we were, teens included an the wait was minimal (10 mins, no reservation) at 5pm on Saturday. Our server was friendly and attentive. She explained the drinks and the menu. The drink, jamaica mi crazy was not mixed strong but very attractive. The food was from the pre fixed resturant menu. All the servings were generous and very tasty. I would recommend this spot for great casual dining. It's great for groups who are ready to eat.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

I decided to try this place out as anytime I go grocery shopping I always pass by it. I just finished having dinner here decided to give it a chance despite the mixed reviews! Boy oh boy do I wish I would've listened to these reviews. Ribs were just okay but riblets just terrible! My boyfriend ordered the riblet meal he was only able to get through two pieces. The smell and taste was overwhelming for him. He ended up asking for a box to go instead just requesting the item be thrown out!! Very disappointing meal and night out. I ordered the half rack ribs nothing to brag about. Coleslaw,salad and corn bread was good as was the service.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

If you like good ole spare ribs . This is the place to go . The place is always busy so I’d suggest reservations if they accept that . I just get take out , place is big though .

Date of visit: December 2017