“when I Die I Want to Go to Charlie's”
Review of Hot Dog Charlie's

Hot Dog Charlie's
Ranked #7 of 41 Restaurants in Cohoes
Price range: USD 0 - USD 5
Cuisines: Fast food
Description: Hot Dog Charlie's, family-owned and operated, was founded in 1922 by Greek immigrant Strates Fentekes. Started in Troy, NY, Hot Dog Charlie's has spanned three generations. Our secret recipe of chili sauce with meat is often imitated, but never duplicated. We offer all of the fixings for your hot dog, but suggest our original, chili sauce! Get a regular hot dog or try our mini hot dogs. We also offer onion rings, cheese fries, bacon cheese fries, and more! Join us at Hot Dog Charlie's! Your taste buds will thank you!
Reviewed 7 April 2017

I don't care where you get your Charlie's Hot Dogs, Albany, Cohose, Rennslear or Troy. They are the greatest. A Charlie's Hot Dog is truly a gustatorial delight. Just the aroma is enough to give me wonderful olfactory dreams for months. I've been eating Charlie's Hot Dogs for over 75 years and I have no intention of stopping until these tired old gums work no more. NO !! question, Charlie"s Hot Dogs are the best in the entire United States of America. Really, eat one of these in your car or truck and the aroma sticks around for a week!

troy

1  Thank bEdwardWIllis

Reviewed 17 February 2017

Love Hot Dog Charlie's special little chili dogs. Have been eating them since the 1970's. The food, prices, and service are all good. Too bad they don't spend money on the building. Limited dine-in which is OK for the Summer but you freeze in the Winter. They keep putting paint on the obvious problem which is the building has outlived its usefulness.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

Somehow, when the Travel Channel does a show on Hot Dogs, they miss the Capital Region of New York, and the "small hot dog."

Now I'm not talking about cocktail franks, I'm talking small hotdogs where you can eat 6, 12, 15, 20 or more at a sitting...

Hot Dog Charlie's may not have been the first, but they were the most successful, at one time having at least five locations... They also sell their "World Famous" chili sauce by the pint or quart at local grocers... There are others in the area, but Charlie's, they're iconic!

Let's start with the specially made, natural-casing dog. Cooked on a flat-top until just slightly less than burned (don't go when they're busy, the dogs won't be done enough...) Then onto a small steamed bun and served up with "the works." Mustard, onions and Chili-sauce (hot or mild.) Better take plenty of napkins too! If you really want a treat, get sauerkraut on there too... TRUST ME!

Yes, they DO have regular sized hot dogs, and even a foot long "Big Charlie," but why bother? We're all there to see who can eat the most and make the least mess! They'll even put KETCHUP on the dog if you're a heathen!

Do yourself a favor, at least once, stop by Hot Dog Charlie's and get a taste of Tradition... It is worth is!

Reviewed 11 July 2016 via mobile

I grew up on these and go there every time I am down that way, please open one in Glen's Falls. The hot dogs are nice and hit and fresh and the sauce is amazing .

Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

I'm from half moon and grew up on Charlie's. I had to take my friend there when we went to visit. And they are just as good as always.

1  Thank 73Sparky

Been to Hot Dog Charlie's? Share your experiences!