All reviews off season agatha christie chautauqua institute charming hotel owners and staff short stay step back in time rocking chairs helen dog author porch amphitheater summer dick history books
Reviewed 24 February 2018

we stayed there in late August. I guess the season was about to end. The hotel was empty, I think it was us and another couple. The hotel is very old and not maintained. Rooms are designed as books and authors, but still very outdated. same goes for bathrooms. I think the place needs major renovations. We actually ended up leaving even without a refund. I wouldn't recommend staying here.

Room tip: very old needs major renovations.
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2018

I really shopped around (as I am a very judgmental and demanding consumer). Carter (the mgr.) is dedicated to creating a Chautauqua paradise. His customer service is extraordinary and is driven by his need to be the best! After talking about wifi (essential for me to work during my week stay) he ran out to buy extenders to ensure strong/fast connections. He knows the hotel from top to bottom and will do whatever it takes to make guests happy - including the hire of a fresh/clean food chef. Bring on the summer!!

Room tip: corner rooms are the quietest
Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2018

Let me preface this review by saying the people writing poor reviews do not seem to understand the charm of this hotel, or Chautauqua, for that matter. As soon as my fianceé and I heard about the winter village at Chautauqua, we knew it was where we wanted to spend our first New Year's Eve together. The Spencer did not disappoint. Upon entry, we were mesmerized by the beautiful old house and antique furniture. Our experience was only made better when we met Helen and Dick, the lovely couple in charge. They worked hard to make sure everybody's needs were met, and even brought out treats for the guests upon arrival. Hannah, the hotel shih tzu enjoyed cuddling with us by the fire. The room itself was even more gorgeous than expected; it's obvious they took the time to design each element perfectly. The suites are themed, referencing famous authors. We had the pleasure of spending the night in the Agatha Christie suite. A fully-equipped kitchenette, Jacuzzi tub, and the most comfortable bed either my fianceé or myself had ever slept on proved that we got our money's worth. We loved our stay at the Spencer so much, and hope to host our wedding here in the near future.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacob B
Reviewed 28 October 2017

We stayed in October, definitely off season. It was so quiet at night and the first night we walked around and only saw two people. The Chautauqua Institute grounds themselves is something very unique, with some very grand and historical buildings all around. The Spencer hotel is a four story historical building with some charm. The inn keepers Dick and Helen and their dog Hannah were all very friendly and accommodating. We asked for a room change because we felt our room was too small and they quickly showed us three other choices. Carter was a young gentleman that checked us in and showed us our room and he was very polite and we liked his service very much. All the rooms are quite small but adequate for a short stay. Breakfast was served by the inn keepers and they were willing to get you whatever you wanted. My friend does not like eggs so they made her waffles. We appreciated their hospitality and kindness.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2017

My daughter and I have come here 2 years in a row just to relax. Dick and Helen are great hosts with flexibility for our late arrival and leisurely arrival to breakfast. The atmosphere allows you to take a step back in time. Helen also provided information about other activities available in the area along with stories of the past. The message I had was the very best I have ever had. Wish I could get one like it where I live!

Date of stay: October 2017