All reviews complimentary breakfast great place to stay we've stayed visiting family rooms are clean desk clerk comfortable stay would highly recommend this hotel checking in room was large one night stay bed was comfortable dorothy college puzzles ny cereal
Reviewed 9 April 2018

This was for my annual Christmas visit with my daughter and a visit to a regional model train show/flea market. I’m a semi-regular guest, coming up this way about three times a year… Late May/Early June, Early October, and Early December. However, it seems that each time I visit I notice something that first-time guests should be aware of.

This time it’s that the staff of this hotel unabashedly celebrates Christmas. Besides the tree in the lobby and the “gifts” around it, there is a celebratory spirit among the staff and management that is openly shared with their guests. One notable point was that on the Saturday morning of my three-night visit, when the elevator doors opened, “Andy” (the daytime desk clerk) was sitting at the front desk, dressed as “The Elf On the Shelf”! I almost lost it! The fact that this hotel does this sort of thing speaks volumes about the leadership quality of the ownership and management. Especially with regard to staffing. Another example was a seriously major assist from a young lady, Erin, who was at the front desk on Sunday evening, the last night of my stay. I was helping my daughter setup her new laptop PC and was running into all sorts of problems. When I called the front desk asking if there was anything “special” I needed to do to fix the problem, she asked me if I could bring the beast down and she’d be happy to look at it. Ten minutes later, all was well! So, a special shout out to her.
That, in a nutshell seems to be a part of the management here. Unlike U.S. airlines, the spirit here seems to be one of “what can I do to make your stay better?” With the emphasis on the individual employee having the creative freedom (within bounds, obviously) to take the initiative to do something on their own to provide a better experience for the guest! This “out of the box” thinking is what causes businesses to thrive and not merely survive.

Words of advice… when making your reservation, try to call in the late morning to mid-afternoon their local time. When I’ve walked up to the front desk at such times, it seems that the list of available discounts goes well beyond the norm. So, be sure to call before you use a third-party booking service/website. Also, remember that rooms ending in an even number face the north (looks towards the intersection of Lake Road with Brockport-Spencerport Rd, and those ending in an odd number face the south with a forest and a cemetery as your view.

The included breakfast is still quite good. It’s one of the best of what I’ve encountered in my travels. The only wish on that is that the menu rotation would change a bit so that the predicted regularity of my visits wouldn’t carry the predicted regularity of the same menu on the respective Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. To compare quality with the nearby restaurants, I’d have to say that what I’ve had at Dollinger’s at breakfast is on a par with The Eagle. So, since you’ve already paid for it, unless timing or your food preferences are a factor, there’s really no reason to go elsewhere. Unless you want to spend more money.

As for the room, no surprises. Consistent quality is a good thing. Overall, the place is clean, bright, and well-maintained. Snow and ice removal is pretty good. Actually, better than most. “Lake Effect Snow” is something to experience. Just once, if at all possible! Dollinger’s does a good job at trying to keep the parking lot slip and slide resistant. Perhaps 2018 will be the year that some sort of power assist can be added to the entrance doors to make them more elderly-friendly?

Overall, I must confess that my reviews of Dollinger’s reflects the fact that I’ve only stayed there on my trips to Brockport the past 4+ years. As an Engineer, my staying at Dollinger’s puts life to the Engineering Commandment of “If It Ain’t Broke, Don’t “Fool” With It!” With an AAA discount, it’s less expensive than the chain competition just down the road.

Still consider me “Extremely Satisfied”. I plan to be staying there again soon…

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2018

I was on my own, I dropped my son off for an overnight at SUNY Brockport. every step was great from check in to staying to breakfast and check out. everything was personal and fun. as a woman on her own? I felt safe. security was good. and Breakfast? perfect eggs and bacon.
this place is clean, the beds are comfy, and there is plenty of hot water for a nice hot bath.
There is a 'business center' off of the lobby. you can log on and print travel documents etc. So helpful and useful. and there is a great Wegmans right around the corner with sushi, snacks and premade meals

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2018

My son attends SUNY Brockport , he is home( 6+ hours away) now Student teaching but had to go back up for a few days to attend some seminars. I contact Dollingers and explained my son's situation and Dorothy was nice enough to give my son a good price for the few nights he had to stay. He got breakfast in the morning and he said the room was nice and clean. They even called him to let him know his package had arrive . Clean nice hotel and friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 December 2017

This place is a very clean and friendly place. Everyone on the staff was eager to please.
We can't wait to book another stay here. Thanks Andy (desk clerk) for all your help and especially our paper Christmas tree.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. We were well pleased
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2017

OK,,, I have to admit that my judgement is based on a limited sample size. But, this has to be Brockport's finest hotel. I think that Dollinger's is a prime example of why "trickle down management" works. In this case, the leadership at Dollinger's is very people-oriented. This is reflected by the staff and they way everyone here treats the guests. Too often, I encounter businesses (including in my own field) which regard the customer as little more than a position on an organizational chart (at best -and often at the bottom, rather than at the top) or even as an inconvenience to be tolerated at best.

At Dollinger's the staff actually says, "God Bless You" when you sneeze. Or, "Merry Christmas" during the holidays. It's not just that they are polite. There is a friendliness and warmth that is honest here. This is not a "McHotel", where the staff has gone on a mandatory corporate customer sensitivity retreat, or the like. If you have questions regarding the are, if they can help you, they'll do their best to help you. Special shouts go to Dorothy, Andy, and the woman who runs the breakfast service. I mention her in particular because I've noticed that no matter how late it may be, if anything is running low, it is "topped off" to a reasonable level given the time and how many people have already been served. I mention this as too many hotels consider the included breakfast to be an unnecessary expense, rather than the investment in customer loyalty that it truly is. The shout for Andy is that Dollinger's apparently offers a discount I've never heard of before: For veterans of military service! As an army brat, I like this! I overheard Andy mention this while I was in the lobby and he was talking on the phone with a customer.

As for my stay, it was flawless. As usual. Even down to the room temperature at check-in. Everything worked perfect. I noticed that internet has apparently been upgraded as it is now much faster than on my previous stays.

One point: When checking-in, be sure to look around the front desk area for posters, signs, etc., for community activities that guests might be interested in. As an example, I was able take in the "yard sale" going on at a nearby church on the afternoon I checked-in. Had it not been for the poster in the lobby, I wouldn't have known about it.

As for the room and other qualities, I suggest you see my other reviews for Dollinger's. This place is a keeper!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo