All reviewsafternoon teathe main housecountry housesconesnational trustpublic roomsbeautiful groundsspecial occasionspa facilitiesstately homefour postersteam roommain restaurantrelaxing breakhistoric buildingbirthday treatamazing hotel
Reviewed 22 November 2017

This is one of the best experiences I have had til now.Everything was great.The rooms are nicely decorated.The pool is perfect, and the garden is really amazing.The breakfast is also tasty.The staff is helpful.I don't think that is something that needs to improve in this hotel, so if you have the opportunity don't miss Hartwell House.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

Positives: warm welcome on arrival, lovely staff, beautiful room, peaceful spa, incredible decor, excellent food, pretty grounds (even in the rain). Could not have asked for more. Slept a full 8 hours and I cannot remember the last time that happened. Treated like a Queen. I was sad to have to leave, but even just 24 hours there did a lot for my wellbeing. It was superb and I would go back in a heartbeat.
Negatives: none.
Thank you, Hartwell House!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charlotte H
Reviewed 19 November 2017

It was a big birthday for my wife and where else to go but Hartwell House? I booked a special room, room 14 and two more in the Courtyard for my two daughters, sons in law and grandchildren. It all had to be kept secret and so Mirella the hotel's Event Organiser was employed and she stage managed everything just perfectly.
We had not been back to the hotel since Jonathan Thompson's, the former manager , retired a few years ago. I am delighted to report that the new manager Matthew Johnson, is following in Jonathan's footsteps, with the perfect mix of care and professionalism.
Our stay was simply perfect from first to last. So a huge thanks to everyone without reservation.

Room Tip: All rooms I am sure would be excellent
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick S
Reviewed 15 November 2017

Can't rate this hotel highly enough. We didn't hold our reception here but we had about 5 rooms booked, including a 4 poster for our wedding night.
We were treated like celebrities; nobody could do enough for us. As well as the facilities being gorgeous and luxurious it was the little touches like the man on the gate knowing that my Dad was the "Father of the Bride" and also the little cards left in my room the night before asking if they could do anything and wishing me luck that really tipped it to being outstanding.
They also let us take pictures there, which was above and beyond as there was no obligation on them at all.

I VERY much hope to stay there for our anniversary. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the special attention and great service. PS I hope that the lovely receptionist who is getting married also enjoys her day.

Room Tip: The four poster room really was amazing.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Kay A
Reviewed 15 November 2017

We received a lovely welcome on arrival,and were given a brief history of some of this beautiful hotel as we were shown to our room.Room 25 is graded as a standard room,but was very spacious,and had lovely views over the parkland.A sofa and armchairs,a separate dressing room and large bathroom,made the room very comfortable.We enjoyed a delicious meal in the restuarant on our first night,and loved all the attention to detail delivered by the staff.Breakfast was also excellent,with a choice of cooked from the menu,along with a continental buffet table,which was always very well stocked with a variety of pastries,cereals,juices,etc.
The parkland is worth an explore,our only regret was that we didn't take wellies,so could not go to far off the paths before it got very muddy.
We didn't use the spa,other than to have a cup of tea in the cafe,which,like the hotel was well run,clean and pleasant to spend time in.
I can appreciate that staying in an old historic house,with incredibly attentive staff,would not suit everyone's taste,but we loved it.Being able to sit and relax in the grand rooms of the house,in front of roaring log fires,and imagining how many changes this beautiful house has seen over its lifetime,made us feel very privileged.

Room Tip: Room 25 is spacious and quiet,and a lift is available if the stairs are a problem.
Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple