All reviews afternoon tea the main house country house scones national trust public rooms beautiful grounds special occasion stately home spa facilities four poster steam room relaxing break changing rooms historic building birthday treat amazing hotel
Reviewed 19 November 2017

It was a big birthday for my wife and where else to go but Hartwell House? I booked a special room, room 14 and two more in the Courtyard for my two daughters, sons in law and grandchildren. It all had to be kept secret and so Mirella the hotel's Event Organiser was employed and she stage managed everything just perfectly.
We had not been back to the hotel since Jonathan Thompson's, the former manager , retired a few years ago. I am delighted to report that the new manager Matthew Johnson, is following in Jonathan's footsteps, with the perfect mix of care and professionalism.
Our stay was simply perfect from first to last. So a huge thanks to everyone without reservation.

Room Tip: All rooms I am sure would be excellent
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick S
Reviewed 15 November 2017

Can't rate this hotel highly enough. We didn't hold our reception here but we had about 5 rooms booked, including a 4 poster for our wedding night.
We were treated like celebrities; nobody could do enough for us. As well as the facilities being gorgeous and luxurious it was the little touches like the man on the gate knowing that my Dad was the "Father of the Bride" and also the little cards left in my room the night before asking if they could do anything and wishing me luck that really tipped it to being outstanding.
They also let us take pictures there, which was above and beyond as there was no obligation on them at all.

I VERY much hope to stay there for our anniversary. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the special attention and great service. PS I hope that the lovely receptionist who is getting married also enjoys her day.

Room Tip: The four poster room really was amazing.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Kay A
Reviewed 15 November 2017

We received a lovely welcome on arrival,and were given a brief history of some of this beautiful hotel as we were shown to our room.Room 25 is graded as a standard room,but was very spacious,and had lovely views over the parkland.A sofa and armchairs,a separate dressing room and large bathroom,made the room very comfortable.We enjoyed a delicious meal in the restuarant on our first night,and loved all the attention to detail delivered by the staff.Breakfast was also excellent,with a choice of cooked from the menu,along with a continental buffet table,which was always very well stocked with a variety of pastries,cereals,juices,etc.
The parkland is worth an explore,our only regret was that we didn't take wellies,so could not go to far off the paths before it got very muddy.
We didn't use the spa,other than to have a cup of tea in the cafe,which,like the hotel was well run,clean and pleasant to spend time in.
I can appreciate that staying in an old historic house,with incredibly attentive staff,would not suit everyone's taste,but we loved it.Being able to sit and relax in the grand rooms of the house,in front of roaring log fires,and imagining how many changes this beautiful house has seen over its lifetime,made us feel very privileged.

Room Tip: Room 25 is spacious and quiet,and a lift is available if the stairs are a problem.
Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

What a lovely place to stay!

It is simply stunning both inside and out and the staff are wonderfully helpful and warm, so much so that you feel like you are a private guest of the lord of the manor. I can think of few hotels that retain the feeling of the original manor but this hotel has retained so much original furniture and decoration that it is impossible not to walk around in awe of your surroundings. It's location near to Checkers means it has hosted many a foreign dignitary over the years and it's not hard to fathom why.

Dinner is a lovely experience, only slightly lacking the last few percent of intricate flavours and attentive service to be true fine dining, but it is very close.

A walk around the property and gardens to take in the follies and foliage is a must and the Spa is also worth a visit.

All in all, a great place for a relaxing weekend getaway. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin W
Reviewed 14 November 2017

Mini break with my sister, luxurious drawing rooms, elegant traditional style, excellent food, spacious room, delightful walks in the grounds, warm weather to relax by the spa. Quiet, relaxing break. Not somewhere I would bring young children.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family