“A pleasant trip back in time.”

Whitehouse Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #17 of 93 Restaurants in Ballston Spa
Price range: USD 2 - USD 12
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I've passed the Whitehouse many times and wondered what type of place it was. It looks like it has existed for a very long time. We had planned to have a late breakfast at another nearby restaurant only to discover they were closed on Mondays. Our backup plan was a walk to the Whitehouse since I had recently read that others enjoyed breakfast there. So it was just after noon as we entered and held the door for two customers leaving.

We initially entered a long, narrow, brightly lit dining room with dark wood tables and chairs lining each side. At the end of this dining room we saw an additional, wider dining room with like furniture. As we entered this area we realized we were the only customers and we were met by a friendly server who told us to sit anywhere we liked. As we began to survey the breakfast portion of the menus that were provided to us we were informed that only lunch was available after 11:30 am. From the listing of salads, soups, appetizers, sandwiches and wraps we settled on a Rachel sandwich ($7.50) for my wife and a Buffalo Chicken sandwich ($7.50) for me.

The Whitehouse bakes their own Italian bread and rolls for their sandwiches, which is why we did not opt to have the wrap versions of our choices. The Rachel, with corned beef, coleslaw and Swiss cheese, came between nicely toasted slices of bread. French fries were chosen as the side. The bread was very good tasting, the corned beef a bit salty, and the fries were good. Overall it was a tasty sandwich.

My Buffalo Chicken sandwich consisted of two large, breaded chicken fingers served on the house-made roll. I chose a medium degree of hotness which was barely noticeable; I'm sure I would have enjoyed "hot". The chicken breading was very crispy and the chicken was moist. I had the kitchen add all the additional toppings that were offered, so it was a very heaping sandwich with the lettuce, tomato, onion and blue cheese sauce. It was a very enjoyable sandwich and went well with my choice of onion rings as a side.

Service was very friendly and pleasant. Refills were offered for the coffee ($1.50/cup) which had a decent amount of flavor.

While the restaurant currently only serves breakfast and lunch, the menu also showed hours for serving food at the bar Wed. - Fri. from 5 pm. We hadn't noticed a bar on our arrival because there was a separate door to the bar area in the entry foyer. A trip to the men's room revealed a separate room parallel to the long narrow dining room where a neat looking bar, jukebox and pool table are located. While we didn't see the actual bar menu, are server gave us the impression that the appetizers and sandwiches were likely available. She also said that the breads are baked in a pizza oven. So the possibility exists that pizza and dinners might be offered in the future.

Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

Great large breakfast with quality and lots of it at a average price . My favorite breakfast go to. Service and location is very good. A local breakfast favorite. I haven't eaten other meals here to review but I would expect similar quality and price.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

I found this little establishment in December of 2011 quite by accident and had a very good breakfast. I returned to the area in October and made a point of going out of my way to have breakfast in this restaurant. It exceeded my first experience. We all had something different and everything was hot, tasty and the service was great. I am into a good breakfast and the Whitehouse has on two dates exceeded my expectations. Wed will be back in the area later in November and I know I will visit at least twice.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

The whitehouse has a good breakfast and fast service even on a Sunday morning after church services.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

My son and I go here as a special treat when he asks. They make pretty good breakfast food. The staff is friendly, it's a little overpriced.