“Fanta”

Ranked #1 of 6 Barrydale B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Fanta”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Lovely homely guesthouse ,very clean rooms surounding a courtyard where you can injoy your fantastic big breakfast ! run buy the most friendly owners ever ! set in beautiful quiet suroundings. And dont forget to give "priscilla" the pig a piece of toast !! cant wait to stay again.

• Stayed March 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Travelling on my own to stay 1 night in Barrydale was a little terrifying to say the least... before I left for the trip I said to myself "Nicola .. put on your big girl panties sweety-pie and get on with this trip"... I can honestly say after the drive from CTN in weather conditions that were not for the faint hearted.. I arrived, stressed and uptight. And that's where my stress stopped... I was greeted by Leon who made me feel so welcome and as soon as my bag was down, I was perched on the bar stool in their quaint, goregous, interresting little pub and "pop" went the red wine bottle which flowed into a wonderful evening with my host Leon who looked after me, spent time talking to me and never made me feel like I was alone in this little town .. I felt safe, comfortable and at home away from home. My room was so comfortable, warm, cozy.. I slept like a baby in the quietness of the Countryside. Sunday morning I was treated to the most scrumptious breakfast prepared by Master Chef Denis - next time I will know to book dinner as I want to taste more of this wonderful mans food!... so folks... I encourage you to treat yourself to the experience these two wonderful men have to offer at their little establishment.. you wont leave without having made new friends (including Delphine the cat and Pricilla the Pot Belly pig) and creating fond memories. Any single girl travelling on her own on the Route 62.. Don't stay anywhere other than THE TRADOUW GUESTHOUSE. This little guesthouse was the highlight of my weekend and such a treat! Thanks guys..

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Nicola V
Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Where do you start with a review like this, I must say I find it rather difficult as the Tradouw Guesthouse is not just your average guesthouse.
Firstly, I refuse to stay anywhere else in the Barrydale area due to the hosts Leon and Dennis.
The two boys as I like to call them, run a home not guesthouse, you simply stay a few days to visit.

When you arrive, Leon is there to welcome you in to there lovely home. As usual Dennis will be nowhere to be found but I know a secret, you have to go looking. He can be found preparing your dinner in the kitchen, that's another experience all together.
It's then time to drop your bags in the beautiful rooms and head straight to the pub where Leon is ready to serve you anything your little heart desires.
After a few drinks we get served the most divine meal cooked by the Master Chef Dennis, you will not go hungry in their home.
In winter we land up at the fireplace sipping our red wine to the wee hours of the morning as you just do not want to head off to bed as Leon is providing entertainment.
When we eventually get some shut eye, the beds are soooo comfortable that sleeping in late usually occurs.
Lucky for us, the boys are fairly flexible with breakfast times. It's worth while not rushing out as you get a full breakfast thanks to Dennis once again.

In my mind, why would I stay anywhere else in the Barrydale area, you will pay more and I doubt you would get the homely benefits.

Thanks boys for all the memorable summer and winter visits, lots more to come.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stopped for one night at Barrydale on our Garden Route tour and were so fortunate with our choice of B&B. Leon and Dennis were superb hosts, warming, inviting and full of information. We stayed in twin rooms where we were offered warming hot water bottles for the cold wintry night. The roaring log fire was a delight and we sipped drinks selected from their own McCavities bar - a super addition!! We would recommend the evening meal as Dennis is a fabulous chef! Tradouw is a quirky b&b, like stepping back in time and full of Dennis and Leon's personal memorabilia. You will be greeted and treated with warmth and charisma - highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank luckybear6
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We spent a lovely evening in front of a roaring fire surrounded by amazing memorabilia which could keep one fascinated for hours, but our hosts are always equally entertaining, and see to one's every need. We had the most delicious 3 course dinner (best starter I have ever tasted!) and a lovely breakfast. The food was outstanding, accomodation very comfortable, rates very reasonable. We highly recommend this lovely guesthouse :-)

Room Tip: All good :-)