“All in all... perfect ”

Ranked #2 of 131 Restaurants in Taos
Price range: USD 8 - USD 22
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A delicious blend of traditional Mexican Cuisine and an array of Northern New Mexico favorites.
Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

I highly recommend this restaurant. The owners as well as the servers are just wonderful and seem to have great memories. Every meal we enjoyed had a variety of options and was flavorful. The food was absolutely wonderful from preparation to presentation. We loved our experience at Bella's and we look forward to our next trip to Taos so we can go to Bella's Mexican Grill.

1  Thank Chavon W

Reviewed 18 January 2018

We found the restaurant on TripAdvisor when we got into town. We were excited to try some local favor. Boy did we pick the right place. The service was excellent and prompt, even for how busy they were. We started with the elote and table side guacamole, where they carted over fresh ingredients to our table to smash everything together in a wonderful dip. It was awesome. Then our fresh made drinks and excellent entree’s rounded everything off. It was just perfect all around and I highly recommend it.

1  Thank seamuscal
Reviewed 9 January 2018

My family had been there the year before and were very impressed. However, there must have been a change in management as this time the service was very poor. You could tell the waiters were overworked. The food was good but very spicy, contrary to what our waiter told us. My sister returned her food and was told that she would have to wait over 20 minutes because they were serving a table (that came after us). She ended up bringing the food home and just having desert.
To top it all, the shift manager said that if we did not like too much spice we should not go to a Mexican restaurant!!!!

Joaquin Q, Owner at Bella's Mexican Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Elizebeth C,
Hello,
Thank you for choosing to dine with at Bella's Mexican Grill. We certainly appreciate your business. All of us here from the slightly annoyed to the first day on the jobbers are extremely passionate about what we do. We try very hard to deliver exceptional experiences to every person who walks in our doors.
I understand that you had a less than exemplary experience with us. I truly do apologize for the drop in standard. Unfortunately we are all human and sometimes make mistakes. I am sorry you and your family fell through the cracks. I hope you can give us the opportunity to make a better impression.
We have not changed management. We are a small business owned and operated by my spouse and myself. Bella is actually our 3 1/2 year old daughter. We have not changed any of our recipes. we use a lot of family recipes that date back four generations in Northern New Mexico. We use the ingredients that my ancestors used. For instance our red chile is from Chimayo. It is the same region where my grandmother's grandmother procured her chile( actually grew ).We use the time tested recipe of my family. I will say however that chile does vary in heat(capsaicin) from year to year depending on ecological variances. We use fresh local chile so it is not as regulated as corporation chile.
In my defense I would like to explain a few things. we experienced the busiest two weeks in our four years in business( the week you dined with us). The number eclipsed our prior busiest weeks by double.So we were all taken unaware of the multitude of guests we received those weeks. We did have a lot of temp. Employees for that time in an ill fated attempt to curb the overflow. I apologize. We had people come in and we did our best to train them on extremely short notice.
I am confident that all the staff did their very best to accommodate and welcome every person who came to dine with us. We were severely unprepared for the amount of people who visited us those weeks. Again my appologies. I can say without a doubt I did everything I could to make it a success.
I sincerely hope that you give us another chance to show you our passion. We would love for you to come in and experience all the local ingredients used and the family recipes that are our tradition. We take great pride in our food and am certain you will enjoy and appreciate the magic we perform when we are not inundated.
With the deepest regrets and heart felt apologies,
Bella's Mexican Grill.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

We arrived very hungry and were told it would be a 20min wait, which turned into 35+mins. Our table was never cleaned prior to seating us, drink orders took a long time and we had 3 different waitresses ranging from annoyed to probably first day on the job abilities during the course of the meal. Some of our starters such as the “famous” elote came after the meal with dessert. Food was nothing special and over priced for its quality. The guacamole was absolutely awful and the rest of the food was just forgettable. I can’t believe this restaurant would even be recommended by trip advisor. First and foremost, management should assess the cleanliness of the restaurant. A major disappointment!

Sandy M.,
Hello,
I understand that you had an "at best mediocre" experience with us. I truly do apologize for the drop in standard. Unfortunately we are all human and sometimes make mistakes. I am sorry you and your family fell through the cracks. I hope you can give us the opportunity to make a better impression.
I appreciate your candid remarks about our our cleanliness. It is a major pet peeve of mine to maintain a spotless restaurant. Every night I myself am there cleaning and sanitizing. I sympathize with your abhorrence to a dirty table.
With the deepest regrets and heart felt apologies,
Bella's Mexican Grill.

Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

Below average meal. Not very good service. We were overcharged (ordered 4 elotes, got served 5, and charged 5 even though we sent one back). Probably the worst guacamole I’ve ever had, and the fact that it was prepared at our table made it a joke. I do not recommend this restaurant unless you want to pay a lot for average food... not even the ambiance is worth it.
To the owner of the establishment:
1) you need to hire additional staff during peak season.
2) clean up the trash outside your restaurant, the one that you can see from the church- this rat-infested dump site looks terrible.
3) I would really think about canceling the guacamole dish altogether, it was terrible and not only wash it not a good portion, the guacamole was too green, the ingredients not fresh, and the taste terrible.

Just my thoughts... thanks.

1  Thank luisaaron
Joaquin Q, Owner at Bella's Mexican Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

Dear, Lunch with Family
First of all I would like to apologize sencerly for the service or lack there of service. We are a small business who pride our selves in fresh, local ingredients. Now for this Holiday we have had new staff. Guacamole maker being one of them. Along with picking the soft avocados is cutting fresh ingredients. We may have dropped the ball on one of the important steps like lime squeezing.We will work hard to remidy that. Consistency is key when it comes to Guacamole making.
As for the side of the restaurant where our two large dumpsters are and our boxes we recycle that you mentioned was dirty. We typically have this side picked up however this was a week that the Town skipped throwing the trash which results in extra bags of trash. Yes we had extra bags piled due to the long week and skipped trash day. I know your story is that it looked bad however I can assure you we have never had any issues with vermin of any sort. This slanderes statement is a defamation of our businesses character. We pride ourselves in the clenliness of our restaurant. I personally clean front of house as my husband scrubs the back of house. We are very hands on owners. I will send you a private message to invite you back and hopefully have a better experience than this last one. Again we are a small business who is use to a busy weekend here and there. This last month we have been extreemly blessed with more business than expected.
We source our chile locally. Use a lot of farmers market ingredients when able to. We have recipes passed down from my grandmother who is 92 and has won awards for her chile. I am truly disheartened that you and your family were unable to enjoy the full wrap around service we provide at Bella's Mexican Grill. We take great pride in what we do after all we named the restaurant after our three year old daughter.
I would like to hear a bit more from you so I am able to use as a training tool for our staff.
Sencerely with deepest apologies,