“My meal outstanding, my husband's not so!”

Doc Martin's Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 132 Restaurants in Taos
Price range: USD 15 - USD 28
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Bent Street
Description: Doc Martin's Restaurant is an acclaimed dining establishment located in a registered historic landmark. A Taos tradition for locals and visitors alike, the warm ambiance of Doc's has been a gathering place since the 1920s and 30s. Our menu is a presentation of New American and Northern New Mexican cuisine, specializing in fresh organic foods from the Southwest. Known for its incredible value and vast selections from old to new world, our wine list has earned Wine Spectator's "Best Of" Award of Excellence for twenty-nine consecutive years.
Reviewed 8 August 2018

We had a quick night in Taos after a river trip and saw all of the fantastic reviews. My meal was excellent - "Blue Corn Chicken Enchiladas". Everything about it was delightful. My husband ordered the vegetarian curry and complained there was something wrong with it. He immediately sent it back and the server brought a salad instead. They don't have a lot of options for vegetarians in this restaurant. The waiter seemed to take it a bit personally that my husband didn't like his original meal. The salad was fine.

Grace L, Public Relations Manager at Doc Martin's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Greetings Laurie,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We regret to hear that your husband didn't enjoy his meal with us. We are always willing to accommodate dietary restrictions and do apologize if your server didn't convey that sentiment. If you find yourself in Taos again we'd love to share some of our favorite vegetarian dishes- among them is our famous chile relleno!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed 7 August 2018

We were a party of eight and decided on this place because they could seat us right away (red flag as it was 6:30 prime time), but we had just arrived in town. Our server was friendly, but during the course of the meal, his attentiveness disappeared quickly. One of the couples ordered the salmon and they were pleased and it looked good. Anxious to savor some good green Chile, four of us ordered Bowles of green Chile (a combination of vegetarian and regular.) We had to ask for tortillas to eat with it and all four Bowls were tepid. Like they had been taken out of the fridge and barely heated enough in the microwave. And tastless, like right out of a jar. We asked our server to take them back to heat up and he returned with the vegetarian bowls hotter, but not hot enough and the pork barely heated at all. He just shrugged and didn’t offer to take them back. All in all terrible. And expensive for what we got. Lots of good places to dine in Taos. Unfortunately, this is not one of them.....bummed we wasted a meal here.

Peggy D, Manager at Doc Martin's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experience. We strive to create every dish to be wonderful, and we are dismayed that we did not hit the mark for you. Cold chile does not sound good. We will use your experience for further training with our staff. In the meantime, please contact me directly to adobebar(@)taosinn.com and I would like to invite you back in for a dinner the way we intend it to be.

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

At one time this was my favorite restaurant in the world. The Chile Relanos like no other and the best margarita in New Mexico. I have traveled to NM every year for 20 years and would make a Taos stop at the Inn and restaurant. Last year we stayed overnight and the Inn had dropped in every way: cleanliness, service, food. We were told it was ‘for sale’. My husband had loved the lamb shank last time and it was sub-par.

We stopped for lunch Sat. We ordered immediately and it was 45 minutes until we were served. I had my favorite Relano brunch version with an egg easy over. Egg was white only and the whole dish was lukewarm to cold. I ate it as I was starved but not at all what I expected. My husband ordered the Benedict but they were out of it at 11:30 am during brunch. His meal alternatively was ok.

I did tell the server my meal was cold and not her fault. She took off 10% or $4.50 off the meal.

No longer sadly will be visiting this favorite!

Peggy D, Manager at Doc Martin's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Greetings Denise,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. Being 'for sale' does not mean we no longer care about the Taos Inn and our guests. We are dismayed to hear what you experienced last year, and hope you engaged us to make things right.
We are sorry to hear your breakfast this past Saturday took so long and came out lukewarm. All our eggs are cracked fresh, so it is unusual that you saw the egg white only.
We would prefer not to be out of our offerings, of course, but sometimes there is a run on a certain dish, and we sell more than expected.
We want to stay your favorite restaurant and certainly hope you will give us a shot at redemption.
Safe Travels and Happy Dining!

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Went without reservation on very busy night. The hostess , Sharon, was very accommodating in getting our group of 6 seated shortly. The service was excellent, food came quickly and was very good. It’s a fine dining experience in a historic building near the plaza. Varied menu with a couple of traditional Mexican dishes. Our group had the blue corn enchiladas, chile reallano, and trout. All were excellent and serving size was just right.

Peggy D, Manager at Doc Martin's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2018

Greetings, thank you for taking the time to offer your review. We love to hear about the great experiences our guests have! Please come back to see us soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Sharon greeted us and we got right in to eat in the main room where we enjoyed the decor and the service. Staff worked hard to make the meal pleasant and the food was served quickly. The trout was very good. There are just two Mexican dishes on the menu, enchiladas and rellanos but friends tried both and said they would order them again. They were not too spicey.
We ate at other cafes so this seemed upscale after those. Entrees cost about $26.

Thank you for your review! Sharon is a fantastic hostess, and we are proud to have her here. We are always happy to hear about our guests enjoying themselves. Please come join us again soon.