All reviews self sustaining off grid sustainable living green house solar power sq ft self guided tour unique architecture septic system full kitchen chicken coop stayed one night per night living room fresh eggs greenhouse community
Reviewed 26 May 2016 via mobile

I had my doubts.....thought of some hobbit type thing with maybe power.........blown away at what I discovered. Homes that look just as, if not more, modern as a cookie cutter subdivision homes in the burbs. These homes feature awesome solar systems, fresh water filtration, TV and wifi, food production, plants to make the air quality amazing, and views that will make you forget all the problems in the world.......in a 'hole'......on the Mesa......inn a house built out of 'trash'. I look forward to the next evelutionary steps Earthship is going to take!!!!

Date of stay: June 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Ryan H
Reviewed 20 May 2016

A three-dot review typically means 'average', but 'average' doesn't really apply here, since staying in an Earthship is such an unusual experience. In this case, the third dot out of five indicates more of a 'middle of the road' review. The Earthship concept is a wonderful idea in many ways that are too obvious to even require listing, and of course that's their primary positive feature. Some of the most prevalent materials Earthships are made from are old tires and bottles, and part of the attraction is their unique design and architecture. That's great, but at the Earthship we stayed at, around the area surrounding the Earthship, the old tires and bottles are exposed to the elements and it feels a bit like you're staying in (I hate to say this) a dump. The roads and driveways are dirt, not gravel (as far as I could tell) and with all the melting snow, they were reduced to slimy, slippery mud, which encrusted all over vehicles like adobe bricks. Inside the Earthship, the mechanical systems functioned as they should, and not surprisingly, took a little while to get accustomed to. The plants in the greenhouse/corridor are attractive and practical, but also lend a musty, wet-dirt smell to the interior. There is a TV in the Earthship, and since we hadn't brought any games or books, in the evening we decided to stream some videos. It seems the router needs replacing since the very slow buffering made trying to watch anything nearly impossible due to all the herky-jerky pausing, stopping, and starting. Considering the per night rate, an inexpensive router would be a very worthwhile investment. The Earthship concept is great, its physical construction is impressive, but a little more finesse would go a long way.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Travelin_Bear
Reviewed 19 May 2016 via mobile

A new way of thinking and living. We stayed in the Euro earthship a three bedroom two bath full kitchen and living room earthship. It was the best nights sleep I have had in a while. The house is amazing and learning how we can live sustainably while living in luxury is incredible. I want to build my own earthship now. The reception staff were friendly and showed us everything we needed to know. These homes work like every other home with all the furnishings except they are off grid fully sustainable homes built with recycled materials and use rain water and solar energy. They also use the earth and sun for cooling and heating. There is Internet and tv as well.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank winckatme
Reviewed 9 May 2016 via mobile

I cannot recommend the Earthship vacation rental experience highly enough. Everyone must stay one day in their life in an Earthship. We stayed in April 2014 (TA would offer me a 2014 option!!).
These are comfortable, modern, luxurious, dark night sky, isolated units that house many, provide ample living, cooking, toilets/bathrooms and are very comfortable.
I recommend reading about the project, the unique construction approach and the philosophy of Michael Reynolds. He and his teams have succeeded in crafting something unique and solutions that I find I wish to include in my NH Colonial house!! 2 years later I find myself looking at the Earthship solutions for solutions pertinent today. Take your time to explore the new constructions. Talk to the lads.
Highly, highly, highly recommended!
I feel truly grateful and fortunate for this experience. Best of luck all

Date of stay: June 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2016

Always wanted to stay in an Earthship house and took the time to do it recently, just a little NW of Taos. It was awesome at the Waybee House, a 2 bedroom, 2 bath alternative house made of tires and bottles. Comfy, clean, very accommodating and in no way less than a five star hotel, except it does not have a pool but as they all do recirculated water for the functions of the house Scratch this one off my bucket list with great delight.

Room tip: Awesome experience into alternative housing-do it again in a heartbeat
Date of stay: April 2016