“One of many to choose from. Did what they said they would”

Los Rios River Runners
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Los Rios River Runners is New Mexico's oldest, largest, and most experienced rafting company. We've been rafting through the spectacular river canyons of northern New Mexico since 1972. We offer trips from mild to wild, from half-day to 3-days, from the world-class white-knuckle whitewater of the Taos Box (available as a full-day adventure or as part of a multi-day overnight) to family fun adventures and serene floats. Spend starry nights in the serene Chama wilderness, or float along a mellow section of the Rio Grande with a Native Pueblo guide and a traditional feast meal awaiting you at the takeout. Sunset dinner floats too! And check out our multi-sport adventures: rock and raft, pedal and paddle, and paddle and saddle. Los Rios has more access to more stretches of river than any other NM rafting company, and offers the broadest variety of trips. Come boating with us, and take home lifetime memories.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Weston, FL
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“One of many to choose from. Did what they said they would”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Can't compare them to others but they did meet us on time. Put us in with proper instructions and we all had a good time. We went on the short 2-3 hour trip. We did get a Funyak for two which I would highly recommend you avoid unless you have two pretty experienced kayakers. My daughter and I flipped twice and then we bailed on to a regular boat for the rest of the trip. If you can, and have the experience, go solo on a single or just enjoy a bigger boat with others. Less work, less stress. They did encourage us to go solo but my daughter was a bit nervous. In hindsight we should have just started out in the big boat. Take out snack was chips and salsa, cookies and watermelon. Price was comparable to all other outfitters. You really can pick which one based on the time they go out (seem to run on half hour intervals)

1 Thank Done4Day

whitewater colorado
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“wet fun on a hot desert day”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

A cousin had planned our latest family reunion, and on the itinerary was the group river-rafting trip with a specific company, a specific time, a specific place. I wanted to add my 5 family members to the run, and called Los Rios River Runners. They hadn't heard of us, nothing was reserved. No problem. The only time and location they had available for a group as large as I was trying to book (ended up being 14) was the exact time and section of river as on the itinerary.
On Friday afternoon (later June), with the temps over 90, our 14 merged into a larger group. I enjoy watching and taking pictures and after having arranged this, was not exactly part of it, but I was, of course.
One minor disappointment was that we asked for (and were promised) several "funyaks" -- small inflatable (I thnk) rubber 1-person kayaks as I knew most of my family would prefer that, and that sort of thing we had done before up on the Colorado River. However, when the funyaks weren't there, I asked the crew chief (the big boss) and he simply plainly stated that the CGFS (about 2500? if I recall) was a bit too high. the river would have to be lower to pull out the funyaks. No big deal, almost everyone* in our group had fun -- especially the two youngest (a little under 10 and a bit over 10). Both of them couldn't wait to go again, and I think "river guide" is at the top of their "job i want to do" list right now.
There was plenty of lemonade and watermelon and snacks when they took out, and I (parched from scrambling, videoing, picturing, stop-&-go driving and babysitting my son's dog) had more than anybody.
We were on "RaceCourse" -- below Taos, maybe a 5-mile section, which took a couple hours (of course time depends a lot on the CFS).

Visited June 2011
London
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Amazing fun!”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We had an absolute blast on the Rio Grande with Los Rios River Runners!

We did the half day morning Racehorse trip and it was great! The guides were really knowledgable and made us feel very safe on the river.

The views were fantastic and the rapids were thrilling.

We got VERY wet though!!

Jacksonville, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“what a blast!”
Reviewed 7 July 2011

On a recent family trip to Taos, we included white water rafting on the racecourse. What fun! If considering, do it. We booked the afternoon raft trip, which is a perfect amount of time on the water. Joshua was our guide and he was excellent.

Visited June 2011
seatle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“los rios river runners--great guides, great trip”
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Here's the scoop: we did two trips last week with los rios river runners and both were outstanding. First, the guides. Erik and Bradley were a great team, and based on our first full day trip on the rio grande we booked a second trip the following day on the taos middle box.

My husband is an experienced paddler but I am not and was extremely concerned about safety. Erik and Bradley were utterly professional and I felt immediately reassured. They are sticklers about river safety and expert in guiding through all levels. NOTHING is taken for granted. Their skill level (according to my husband) is extraordinary. Next, they are terrific with all ages: they were attentive and extraordinarily patient to the younger kids and fun for our 15 year old in helping him develop his rafting skills. And these guys work: they really make it easy for their clients.

We have worked with outfitters in Utah, Arizona and Washington; guides really make (or break) the trip. We hope to return next year for an overnight trip. We recommend them highly!