1,215 results
All reviews eagles crag plunge pool game reserve outdoor shower long lee manor his knowledge sarili lodge whole experience the main lodge cape town amazing experience our honeymoon watering hole hot chocolate thatched roof black rhino stayed for nights
Reviewed 3 January 2013

My family spent four of the best days of our lives at Long Lee Manor, Shamrawi. Oh, how sad we were to leave and my son, Aaron is already planning to return. It is difficult to know where to begin but without any question of doubt our time at the reserve was made by the most wonderful and sensational ranger you could ever wish to meet. Mino is truly a one off. He has a great big heart and an outstanding and generous personality that illuminated our whole stay. Nothing, and I mean nothing, was ever too much for him and he genuinely wanted to make sure that we were totally satisfied with our experience. Special thanks and gratitude must also go to Nadine, a really warm and lovely person whom Mino is guiding to become an excellent ranger like him. She accompanied us at all times and she was an absolute pleasure to be with. From day one when we spotted the leopard who hadn't been seen for a few weeks, through to the astonishing lions feeding on the warthog, the hippos, black and white rhinos, elephants, buffalo and the visits to the rehabilitation centre and the Born Free foundation right at the end we were completely entranced and captured by the magic that is Shamrawi. Mino's humour, intelligence and trickery (convincing us that we were going to see warthogs when they turned out to be lions!) coupled with Nadine's patient responses to my endless questions and overall care and concern for us made us feel so special. They promised us the Big Five and they certainly delivered. I must add that all the staff at Long Lee Manor went out of their way for us, notably with our food requirements and I just can't praise them enough. The standard of catering and quality of food was outstanding and the picnic prepared for us on the second day was a memorable highlight. I just can't think of enough positive things to say. How Mino and Nadine had the energy to take us on safari and spend meal times eagerly chatting with us and entertaining us I shall never know. It is so unusual to find people who can love the natural world and people equally but these are the qualities of Mino and Nadine. Oh, when can we see you again? For those of you who might not make it to heaven - go to Shamrawi. Thank you Mino and Nadine. You can't imagine what you have given to us.

Room Tip: Try and ensure that your room looks out onto the reserve.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Zahavi
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Stayed as part of our honeymoon. The tents are a great experience, we had an outdoor shower and indoor bath and I think if I was going again I would opt for the indoor shower - it can be very cold outside even with the hot water! We also had a plunge pool which was not heated and was freezing so it was not used. The standard of the room was very good but as you don't spend a lot of time there splashing out on the more expensive rooms is not really necessary. The food was nice but not amazing.

We stayed for 2 nights and had 4 game drives which were excellent, we saw four of the big five (no leopard).

I think it is important to point out that all inclusive is not 'all inclusive' as you are asked to tip both your ranger and the other staff via envelopes left (and pointed out to you) in your welcome pack. If you leave the recommended tip this adds significantly to the overall cost.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dublin123Ireland
Karen P, Manager at Shamwari Game Reserve Lodges, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2012

Dear Dublin123ireland,

Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor post.

We would like to point out that all gratuities are entirely up to each individual guest’s discretion, and are in no way expected.
If a guest should ask how much the usual gratuity should be, we do advise on this, however this is just a guideline.

We are sorry if you felt pressurized into having to leave a gratuity, as this is not our intention at any point. The envelopes are pointed out to the guests as we are often asked for envelopes for gratuities. These are pointed out in the same way that the room safe and indoor/outdoor shower/ bath areas are shown to each guest.

We do hope to see you again sometime so that we can try and find the leopards for you.

Kind regards
Mat Matysik
Senior Shamwari Manager

Reviewed 26 December 2012 via mobile

First ever safari but it certainly won't be the last time we stay at Eagle's Crag Shamwari. We can not fault a thing. From the service to the game drives, the food, the room, absolutely first class. Bethwell the ranger was a walking encyclopedia who knew where to find the big 5 and Lemarie in the house looked after our every whim with grace, style and a constant smile. Our one complaint was that it ended too soon!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank dwamedia
Reviewed 26 December 2012

My parents and I are on our last day at Long Lee Manor at Shamwari and I will be ver sad to leave. The Palm Court rooms have been lovely and the staff here have been fantastic. The food and service here have been excellent. the spa was a much needed 4 hours of bliss and Donna was fantastic. The best part of our stay has been our game drives with Mino who has been accompanied by Nadine. We have seen all of the Big 5 while here and it's been fantastic. Mino really goes the extra mile for his clients and this has made the experience unforgettable. We have amazing photos and have learnt so many new things about the animals from Mino. The most memorable experiences for me are definitely visiting the Shamwari Rehabilitation Centre & feeding baby Caracals, seeing the very elusive leopard, having morning tea with the cheetahs and watching the lions hunt. This is all thanks to Mino who arranged extra trips for us and has made this experience amazing! Nadine has also been great and for a ranger who is new here she has been amazing. Thank you Mino & Nadine for a once in a lifetime experience.

Room Tip: If you want to indulge definitely stay in the Luxury Palm Court rooms I lived that we had 2 bathrooms it made getting ready for game drives so early in the morning much easier!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bondy588
Reviewed 12 December 2012

My wife and myself spent two nights at the Shamwari Game Reserve--Long Lee Manor suites---on the 14th and 15th of November, 2012. The experience was FANTASTIC. Both the safari's as well as the accomodation/dining were exceptional value for money.
First, the safari's. Kudos to Philip our ranger. He went out of his way to show us lions, lionesses, cubs, elephants, baby elephants, hippos, rhinos, buffaloes, cheetah's, springboks, etc, etc, etc. Phenomenal. We will ALWAYS remember the 4 game drives (over two days).
Now, Long Lee Manor, itself. We had booked a suite. It was large, comfortable and had all the amenities one could possibly need. The food was excellent, almost gourmet, with several course and wine pairing. The service was impeccable. For the price, we not only got excellent value for money but also incredible and unique experiences at the safari that we are unlikely to EVER forget. Well done, Shamwari !! Well done, indeed !!
PS--Even from our suite, we could see giraffe's, zebra's and impala's drinking water at the water hole. Quite a sight at 5.30 am in the morning :-) Plenty of birds chirping as well. SERENE.

Room Tip: Book a suite. Its more comfortable and has better views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple