“Shamwari Conservation Experience”

Shamwari Game Reserve Lodges
London, United Kingdom
“Shamwari Conservation Experience”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

So amazing that it is difficult to put into words really, if you have been on a safari holiday in Africa and feel you want to give something back to the amazing wildlife of this great place then volunteering is a must. Working hands-on alongside with all the rangers and vets without any formal qualifications is a real privilege and an experience I shall never forget, after all how many people can say they have shared the same air as a wild lion? After my first circuit tour safari, I left my heart out in Africa and knew I just had to return however, I was very apprehensive about volunteering at my age – my fears were ill founded, as the team never force you to engage in something that is out of your comfort zone. The experience surpassed all my expectations and I can’t wait to return – actually I would happily give up my day job and be part of the Shamwari team at the drop of a hat! The expanse of Africa’s wild is difficult to describe and Shamwari more than delivers on that account, so the accommodation area is ideally situated as it allows you to become part of the flora and fauna in the heart of the reserve without sacrificing your day to day luxuries as the rooms are clean, bug free with hot running water and showers are ensuite which beats running across the normal camp site facilities to a communal wash area and sleeping in a tent as experienced on most circuit tour safaris which are actually more expensive. I celebrate the dedication and commitment of all staff at this true conservation facility, as without such places Africa’s true beauty – it’s amazing wildlife will be silenced and that is a very depressing thought. I cannot thank everyone at Shamwari, Born Free and Worldwide enough as I thought I would get Africa out of my system this visit. Alas, not only have I left my heart there this time but my whole body and soul and the blame lies entirely with you!!!! Value for money: excellent (very cheap in fact).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank KayE3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Hebrew first
Fethiye, Turkey
Reviewed 24 February 2012

it is a wonderful place , I had a great time, I have seen lions,elephants,leopard, I am satisfayed more then I was expecting , I realy recomend shamwari

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
England
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Our "tent" was amazing, the drives were great and Vuyo was a super ranger, very informative and a really nice guy. Food and service were excellent too, would highly recommend this and would love to go back.

• Stayed February 2012
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Even as you approach Bayethe, you can see it is something special - the drive from Port Elizabeth isn't far and it's literally one road until you turn off for the Game Reserve. You really do feel, when you get there as though you are in the middle of nowhere although the phone signal and internet (provided at reception for guests to use) are both good.
I would recommend getting there in between 11.30 & 12, in plenty of time for lunch and the afternoon game drive (which set off at 4 when we were there).
The accomodation is fantastic - very unique. All the lodges have tented walls and one morning when the monkeys woke us up with their chattering (even before the ranger's early morning call!), it sounded as though they were inside the tent with us because they were that close and the walls are only canvas so you can hear everything. That said though, it's still a luxurious room with everything you need in it and we loved it. One day we looked out of the window and there was an antelope on our path and the warthogs regularly came to visit the nearby watering hole. All very nice and private though if you want to sunbathe in the day or use your own private plunge pool.
The food is also superb - a "light lunch" is actually three courses (if you want it), the breakfast is different every day and in the evenings, one night we had a meal dining separately from the rest of the party and the next a barbecue with our ranger and the rest of the people on our drives. Both were great. The barbecues are a perfect chance to try all the meats you never would have dreamed of eating!
Then on to the main thing - the game drives. Our driver Jaques was fantastic - so knowledgeable and genuinely passionate about the game reserve and everything in it whether it be plants, birds or animals. I can't remember him ever saying "I don't know" to anything we asked. He genuinely wants you to get to see everything possible - which we did. Even the leopard which before that week, hadn't been seen for four months!
Sitting in and amongst the elephants was so magical, walking to the cheetahs and standing literally a few feet away from them was also a highlight and a gin and tonic at the top of a cliff whilst the sunset over the most amazing view topped off our evening game drive perfectly. It was really special.
On our first game drive, on the way back to the lodge and just as it was going dark, we got a flat tyre. Jaques jumped out, wouldn't let us get out of the jeep, offered us all a beer, changed the tyre which we were still in the jeep and then carried on - and all this happened with a rhino less that 50metres away moving in the glare of the headlights - incredible experience.
Tips for the drive - go to the loo before you leave, four hours of being jolted up and down can take its toll! Also, take warm clothes and preferably a hood, or for people with long hair, something to tie it back with. The wind really gets up late in the evening and early in the morning and whilst the jeeps do have canvas roofs (so you won't get sunburnt), it's open to all the elements from the side. They do provide really warm blankets though which are a bonus.
The whole experience was fantastic, made even more so for me when my boyfriend proposed on our final night - the staff couldn't have been better - champagne in the room with glasses, petals and candles everywhere and champagne (or their equivalent which is just as good if not better) with berries in all the way through dinner too without us asking.
The memories of this place will stay with me forever and I highly recommend it to anyone wondering where would be the best plave to go on a game drive. I felt sad driving away when we left and I really hope I get to return one day.

Room Tip: Some rooms have outdoor showers so if you fancy trying this, make sure you ask for one!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lib874
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I had traveled to shamwari on the volunter program, to be hands on with the animals,and some help with diffrent programs, which is what world wide experiances had told me it was all about, I paid good money to do this, it was shabby apartments ,bad food and nothing helpfull to do,at weekends unless you had a lot of money to go on weekend trips you were stuck with nothing to do at all,so much time were you could be doing helpfull things, but they wanted you to do these trips ,as they made comission on them. The rangers are not aloud to spend time with you, never sit and have meals or spend any social time.be carefull with these volunter programs.you are also expected to share a room ,with some one you dont know.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank annie h
Kaysa, Manager at Shamwari Game Reserve Lodges, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear guest, with apologetic response to your views on a disappointing experience whilst at our volunteer project , we would like to clarify that the said experience does and should not carry relation or the expectations of our award winning 5 Star guest experience at Shamwari.
The purpose built volunteer facilities , related operations and experience, however humble by comparison, are certainly not as quoted and have enjoyed rave reviews with hugely positive response by several hundred past occupants and project participants. As the project runs in conjunction with our award winning conservation team, it is known and acclaimed in the volunteer sector as an unsurpassed behind the scenes conservation and wildlife experience.
Regards
10.3 km away
Hlosi Game Lodge
Hlosi Game Lodge
#4 of 7 in Amakhala Game Reserve

Been to Shamwari Game Reserve Lodges? Share your experiences!