All reviews bush experience game drives guide sam off road walking safari hot water honey badger wild dogs eating dinner greater kruger on foot other guests water hole cape buffalo fantastic stay herd of elephants private game reserve
Reviewed 24 November 2010

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before but we had such a fantastic stay at Shindzela that I couldn’t NOT write a review! Shindzela is a small unfenced camp with a maximum capacity of 12 guests, so you know that you’re getting the personal touch! The staff all know sooo much about animals and I’m thrilled to say that we were able, thanks to their expert tracking, to see all of the Big Five, as well as all sorts of other animals! The leopard was phenomenal and the fact that we could go off road to get a close look made the experience what it was. Being 2 metres away from a lion and feeling too close to take a picture was also truly a once in a life time experience that I know we’ll never forget. They have an enormous area of land all to themselves. Also, since the camp is unfenced, the animals can wander all around; we heard hyenas and leopards outside our tents at night!
The staff were so welcoming and helpful that we felt sorry to have to say our goodbyes. The food was scrumptious – much better than we were expecting! The tents were luxurious and it was really liberating to feel as though you were showering outside.
I would strongly recommend anyone going on safari to stay at Shindzela. We absolutely loved it! Don’t stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 November 2010

I had a 4 night stay in Shindzela in August. Shindzela is an unfenced tented safari camp within the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve. The key words for Shindzela are: rustic but comfortable bush camp, true African atmosphere and excellent staff and service. Each tent is put on a wooden deck and has a private en suite bathroom. The meals are homemade and are just great. In front af the camp there is a small waterhole. Shindzela is the only operator in the concession and therefore you have to track the animals yourself. In the concession there are 2 big waterholes which attracks a lot of wildlife. Best sighting: 2 leopard cubs and about 500 buffalos. Shindzela has everything that the African bush has to offer! Dave, Laura, Eric and Gertie thanks for your hospitality, it is you what makes the stay so special! I can recommend Shindzela to anyone who wants to experience the true African bush. I will definitely return there soon!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Joost76
Reviewed 6 November 2010

After going to Shindzela at the beginning of the year and having a great time, we promised ourselves that we would go again before the summer rains. Well what a great time we had! We were only 2 couples in camp during our stay and had the privilage of being able to whatch a buffalo being eating by hyenas and vultures. What an experance!!!
Nothing was too much for our guide, Mark and tracker, Roul. They were very entertaining, and kept us busy during our stay!

There was nothing better than coming "home" to a great home cooked meal prepared by Gertie after a long drive looking for game!!!!

Will be going back soon!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2010

My wife and I spent 4 great days at Shindzela in June during the world cup. We loved every minute we were there. The game drives, the meals the camp fire chats....everything was fantastic. I would recommend Shindzela to anyone who is looking for a genuine safari experience.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2010

During a business trip to South Africa I decided to take some days off to spend them in the bush. Although the travel distance from Johannesburg is quite far - it takes about 7 hours to reach the camp - I can only recommend to spend some nights here.
As I don´t like luxury lodges with air condition etc., I found this lodge in the internet and it exceeded all my expectations. I have been in approx. 10 differnt lodges in the past years, and this has been my best stay so far. Where else do elephants visit the camp and come to a waterhole only 10 m from your tent? Of course, it also means little sleep at night as the elephants move around the tents, break trees (in my case even the water pipe of the bathroom) and make quite a lot of noise.
During the game drives, we were in the middle of a group of approx. 500 buffalos and watched a leopard hiding its kill in a tree. It will be very difficult to see the complete Big 5 during one stay, but 3 out of 5 is not bad either...
The camp itself is absolutely nice, with clean tents, good beds, and excellent service. The owners are very freindly, and the food is just great - tnanks again for the great time I had.
I can only recommend this lodge!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo