All reviews bush experience game drives guide sam off road walking safari hot water honey badger wild dogs eating dinner greater kruger on foot other guests water hole cape buffalo fantastic stay herd of elephants private game reserve
Reviewed 6 September 2010

My sister and I went on safari at Shindzela while visiting the area and were both pleasantly surprised with how much we enjoyed the experience. My sister is a bit less adventurous and outdoorsy than I, so I was initially worried she'd be uncomfortable and out of her element. At the end of the four days, we both wished we had booked the camp for a longer portion of our vacation.

The camp is open, but the owner Dave always made certain we felt safe and secure at night moving to our tent. The rooms themselves are heavy weight canvas tents pitched on permanent wooden platforms with a thatch roof above them. It feels more like a hard structure than a tent, but still allows you to remember you're in the bush. The attached bathroom was charming and open air, built on the same platform as the tent with a surrounding bamboo wall for privacy. The open air let's you feel like you're roughing it, but the hot water reminds you that you're quite comfortable.

Meals were delicious and served by the extremely sweet and very capable camp cook. The owner Dave presided over our meals and regaled us with stories his days in the bush as a hunter and guide and was an easy conversationalist. The trackers were also very kind and polite, though less apt to engage in conversation and more likely to remain behind the scenes.

As for the safari drives themselves, they were excellent. Despite having two initial days of poor weather in which game was somewhat scarce, we never failed to spot many different animals. We saw four of the Big Five, missing only the lion, though we saw many sets of tracks. We also saw numerous impala, several kudu, countless birds, hippo, warthogs, jackals, mongoose, baboons, giraffe, and zebra. During one of our night drives, our talented tracker managed to spot a green chameleon in a tree as we drove by. They will certainly put you on the game if you allow the time.

My only real regret is that we didn't have longer to spend there and that the weather wouldn't cooperate initially. Also, because we went in late summer, the bush was still thick and water plentiful, so spotting and locating the game was difficult, though clearly not impossible. While dismounting the truck and walking wasn't impossible, we couldn't do it for any great distance because of the thickness of the vegetation and the danger of walking up on aggressive game by surprise. Choosing better vacation dates would have remedied all of these issues.

If I ever find myself in South Africa again, I will not hesitate to revisit Shindzela. It was a completely wonderful experience and I felt upon leaving that I was departing the company of friends.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank paulbaker7
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I traveled to Shindzela during the World Cup. I was simply blown away. I work in the travel industry and have been to a LOT of neat hotels...but the service and friendliness of this team, plus the unique location and fantastic guiding made it THE most memorable 3 nights of my month-long trip in Africa. The food was surprisingly good, the accommodations a perfect mix of rustic and comfortable, but the STAFF are what makes this joint so special. I would go back 10x and I think 3-5 nights there would be perfect. A FANTASTIC value for the money. We saw so many animals during our stay...it was like a movie. I just LOVED this place.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I was at Shindzela in June 2010 with 5 of my friends. We were traveling around South Africa for the World Cup. Getting out of the big cities and relaxing in a base camp like Shindzela for three days was a true pleasure. The staff was incredible (Gertie makes all of the food and it is to DIE for), and all of our guides were top-notch. They brought smiles to our faces, laughs to our bellies, and much happiness to our vagabond troupe. Our beds were made for us every morning and turned down for our afternoon naps... our clothes were put away in drawers, and the campfire was ready every night for storytime, beers, and fellowship. I particularly liked how there were only maybe two or three parties at the camp at one time, because it allowed you to meet everyone there and become friends rather quickly. Our morning and evening drives were splendid, and our afternoon naps were heavenly.

I couldn't have asked for a better safari... definitely check out this camp if you are in South Africa!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I cannot recommend the Shindzela camp enough. I was treated like a king for my 4 night stay. Whether it's Dave or Alan, you'll get a very honest & knowledgeable safari guide. The food is top class too! Once you adapt to the early mornings, you'll thoroughly enjoy your stay. You'll never know what to expect around the corner with each day. The night drives are excellent too! Highlights of my stay: Watching a baby hippo being slowly picked away by hundreds of vultures during the day, then the carcass being mauled that night by countless hyena! Being metres away from a family of Elephants quietly feeding at dusk.. Best of all, watch a pride of Lions feast on their recent kill of a giraffe!
This cannot be missed - And you must spend a minimum of 3 nights to get maximum fulfillment!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I traveled to Shindzela with a group of 5 friends for a truly unforgettable experience. Highlights of the experience:
*Wonderful Staff!!!! All staff members were very personable and knowledgeable about the African bush. And Gertie's meals are to die for. I still have dreams about eating Gertie meals.
*Morning and evening game drives/walks. Shindzela allows you to do game walks as well as drives. Have you ever been walking through the African bush with a herd of Giraffes around you? As well, evening tea occurs at a nearby watering hole with the neighborhood Hippopotamuses in the water.
*Relaxed, beautiful camp. The camp has all the amenities one would want while also having a relaxed and personable feel. You really get to know your fellow campers as well as the staff whether it is over a meal or around the evening campfires.

Shindzela was great!!!!