“Authentic Affordable Safari - Cannot be missed!!”

Shindzela Tented Camp
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I cannot recommend the Shindzela camp enough. I was treated like a king for my 4 night stay. Whether it's Dave or Alan, you'll get a very honest & knowledgeable safari guide. The food is top class too! Once you adapt to the early mornings, you'll thoroughly enjoy your stay. You'll never know what to expect around the corner with each day. The night drives are excellent too! Highlights of my stay: Watching a baby hippo being slowly picked away by hundreds of vultures during the day, then the carcass being mauled that night by countless hyena! Being metres away from a family of Elephants quietly feeding at dusk.. Best of all, watch a pride of Lions feast on their recent kill of a giraffe!
This cannot be missed - And you must spend a minimum of 3 nights to get maximum fulfillment!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 July 2010

I traveled to Shindzela with a group of 5 friends for a truly unforgettable experience. Highlights of the experience:
*Wonderful Staff!!!! All staff members were very personable and knowledgeable about the African bush. And Gertie's meals are to die for. I still have dreams about eating Gertie meals.
*Morning and evening game drives/walks. Shindzela allows you to do game walks as well as drives. Have you ever been walking through the African bush with a herd of Giraffes around you? As well, evening tea occurs at a nearby watering hole with the neighborhood Hippopotamuses in the water.
*Relaxed, beautiful camp. The camp has all the amenities one would want while also having a relaxed and personable feel. You really get to know your fellow campers as well as the staff whether it is over a meal or around the evening campfires.

Shindzela was great!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank zcberry
Reviewed 28 July 2010

This small bush camp offers a truly intimate bush experience in a prime wildlife area. We had great buffalo, elephant and hyena sightings, as well as a nocturnal visit from a honey badger. The meals were outstanding - delicious home-cooked fare.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2010

I visited Shindzela in March 2010 with my dad, my sister and my aunt. Although we were only there for 3 days, it was one of the best holidays I've ever had. We saw an abundance of game that included elephant, hyena, lion, cheetah, buffalo, impala, kudu, hippo and giraffe. Dave and Laura were incredibly hospitable and after only a few days I felt like I had known them for years. Dave's knowledge of the bush is impressive and he was very tolerant of my spider phobia, rescuing me on several occasions from Golden Orbs and even presenting me with the legendary "spider stick". Enoch and Allen are expert guides who managed to find us some beautiful cheetah and a lion kill (as well as a chameleon haha) Their skills and experience make you feel safe and their bush stories are fascinating. The camp itself has a relaxed, peaceful atmosphere and is in the perfect location to take in all the wonderful sights, smells and sounds that the African bush has to offer. The tented rooms are clean and comfortable with en suite facilities and a lovely veranda for chilling or reading a book in between game drives. A special thank you to Gertie and Lily who cooked us some amazing meals which I couldn't fault, the food was simply outstanding. Overall, I would recommend Shindzela to anyone and everyone, I will most definitely be returning there soon.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 17 May 2010

This one of the few camps I have visited (of many) that truly has an authentique bush camp setting.The staff are unpretentious yet proffesssional and the camp is very well kept.The game drives were excellent and we managed to find 4 of the big five (I will be back to find that leopard!) I Loved the fact that we saw no other game drive vehicles in the three days that I was there.Great value for money! Thanks to Dave,Laura ,Enoch and Gerti!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
21.6 km away
Simbavati River Lodge
Simbavati River Lodge
#7 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve

Been to Shindzela Tented Camp? Share your experiences!