The three of us (my wife and I and our eleven year old daughter) are vagabonds in search of experiences and we normally do not stint on anything. So when my wife booked Dulini purely on the basis of the reviews I was not aware that we were letting ourselves in for such a delightful holiday experience. Let me put this in point form so that I do not miss anything:
1) The place is magical - small, quiet and low key. The lodges are large and luxurious, including a private pool. Nyala roam the lawns and the whole place is teeming with bird life.
2) The staff - pleasant, very polite and very solicitous. They seem to be happy where they work and it shows in their attitudes. If I have to name a few - Jessica was very helpful and made us feel at home, James was our butler and very warm.
3) We are vegetarian - they made sure we had interesting things to eat all the days we were there. Great food and great wines to go with.
4) The game drives - Martin and Jaryd were just fantastic. Jaryd was very knowledgeable about the bird life in the Bush. As experienced safari-goers we often find rangers to know about the quadrupeds but not much about birds. Jaryd knows his stuff. Between Martin and Jaryd they combined so well to look at tracks, listen to calls and figure out what was going to happen. Its a different matter that we saw great sightings but we believe the drives would have been exceptional for us even if we had not seen so much of game. Jaryd's enthusiasm for his passion is infectious.
5) The company - we were very lucky to be part of a group that formed around the Defender driven by Jaryd. Alex and Jake, Joe and Nicole were all great fellow travellers. There was a lot of mirth and song. You guys made the trip great.
6) The hosts - Iain and Sue Garratt - were warm and great company talking about South Africa, politics, game, etc.
We were genuinely sad to leave the place. We made some friends there - Jessica and Jaryd and Martin ("Mack the Machete") will always be in our memories.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Under a leafy canopy of ebony trees, six luxurious stone cottages grace the banks of the Mabrak River. As one of only 12 guests, you feel instantly at home in this quiet retreat, where classic interiors enfold guests in quiet style and elegance. Generous private plunge pools and shady decks look out onto the dry riverbed. Large, welcoming sofas and African sculptures fill the gracious guest areas. Dine under the ancient jackalberry tree where skilled chefs serve delicious meals or steal away for an intimate dinner in the well-stocked wine cellar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with South African Hotels so you can book your Dulini Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- And Beyond Dulini Lodge
- &Beyond Dulini Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve