“Very kind and helpful”

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Hillsboro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 25 February 2018

I was riding my motorcycle through town low on fuel and stopped in at the tasting room. Everyone was so kind and helpful. I got fuel and also a very fine bottle of wine (bonus) thx soo much, i would highly recommend visiting here, all the way from Canada, onil

nodell, Owner at Black Range Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Thanks for checking in Onil. We wondered how you fared and the Rocket Inn was just perfect. Glad you enjoyed the wine.
Nicki

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Small winery that offers tastings and simple snack type foods. I loved the Sangria! The owner makes it in small batches and you can't buy it in a bottle. Must order it and drink it there. It is delicious! I came back three days in a row for a glass of it. I wish it could be bottled so I could've brought it home. Or at least give me the recipe! It is a bit pricey costing over $8 a glass but very worth it! I recommend checking this place out!

Reviewed 5 January 2017

A day visiting ghost towns in Southern New Mexico, it was cold and we were hungry. We entered the "ghost town" of Hillsboro...not really a Ghost Town as about 150 living, breathing people live there. But there was some great ruins of the old Socorro state capitol building, a jail, and the graveyard, which really tells a powerful story about the thriving town that once was.
Anyway, cold and hungry we drove into Hillsboro to discover just about everything closed except a vineyard tasting room that seemed a little out of place We decided to give it a try. Beautiful New Mexican atmosphere, art gallery, comfortable wine tasting area and some damn fine wine. Clean and minerally - almost effervescent. The Black Range Vineyards wine is only available there - we bought a bottle of the El Gallo Loco to bring home. In addition to the wine, there is a small but fantastic menu of scratch made delicious small plates. My husband enjoyed elk tacos while I had the tomato soup made with preserved tomatoes grown by the proprietor. If you find yourself near Hillsboro or you're seeking out wines not available elsewhere, put this place on your list.

3  Thank Jennifer30308
Reviewed 20 December 2016

The Black Range Vineyards is right in the middle of downtown Hillsboro, New Mexico, population approximately 125. The owners, Nicki and Brian O'Dell are a down-home, but a lovely and engaging couple. You will feel at home there right away. Their beverage list includes New Mexico wines and beers, champagne, sodas, tea and coffee. Some of their wine is made from their own grapes grown just up the hill at their residence. They also serve great snacks (tapas) you can easily turn into a nice meal or you can purchase a daily special of hearty chili or chicken and vegetable soup - always delicious, always homemade.

Nicki is famous in the area for her homemade green chile chutney. If you try it once you will probably leave with a jar or two to share with friends back home. You might also fall in love with some of their New Mexico wines and take some bottles home with you to remind you of your magical visit with them in the lovely, little town of Hillsboro.

3  Thank Inga M