“Delightful surroundings! ”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

I'm not normally a big fan of Mexican food but this place definitely keeps knows how to serve up a good dinner. Portions are substantial and I was satisfied with an appetizer. Regular entrees come with a sopapilla. The building is quite interesting. Prices are a bit higher but the food is worth the increase. Service was rather slow the night we went but there were some large parties in attendance, so this is not usual.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

A group of us met here for dinner. The server, Jannelle, was wonderful. The food was great. The prices tend to be on the mid to high side but worth every cent. If you're in town visiting or passing through I recommend this place. They have an excellent representation of New Mexico food. Try it, you'll like it!

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

We ate here during an overnight stop in Española based on TripAdvisor reviews. It turned out to be a delightful choice. It is located in a rambling old facility with quaint rustic Spanish colonial decor and covers most of a city block. The menu has a wide range of southwestern and New Mexico fare. The food was delicious and the service (ask for Helen!) was superb. Definitely on the list for a repeat visit. Try the margaritas.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Staff member at one of the area casinos recommended El Paragua to us. I am so glad she did! It seems we had passed by the restaurant a few days before on our way to Santuario de Chimayo and completely missed it. We were staying North of Santa Fe, so the drive to Espanola was not a long one. El Paragua is located on the right side of the highway and is right on the corner. The parking is a little confusing since you turn in and the parking is behind what seems to be a small compound of small homes. The yard and dwellings are quaint and very nice. When you walk in to the restaurant it's like stepping back in time. The home is divided up into different dinning rooms. You feel you are in New Mexico. Our server, Helen, has been with the restaurant off and on for years. She is amazing. My friend had flautitas and I had their special of the day, enchiladas de carne picada (ground beef), calabacita (green squash) and corn. They were topped with cheese and Christmas chile. They were delicious! The sopapillas were great. Service was good and we will definitely go back.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

The ambiance of the dining room is great - an older home with southwestern flavor. However, I found the food to be middle of the road. The chile was extremely hot - more than what is reasonable for a typical customer. I was also disappointed in the chicken enchilada where the layers of tortilla filled the plate, but there were only 2 small pieces of chicken in the very middle of the dish. Beans and rice were pretty standard. Not at all what I'd hoped for. I grew up in New Mexico, lived there until my early 20s, and I've visited the state often over the past 30 years. I know what good New Mexican food should be, and this restaurant is merely average. I won't be going back.

Been to El Paragua? Share your experiences!