“Not bad but expected better”
Review of Mariscos La Playa

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mariscos La Playa
Ranked #17 of 50 Restaurants in Espanola
Reviewed 27 June 2017

Given the rave reviews, I was expecting better. The menu is extensive -- mostly seafood as you'd expect from the name of the place -- so perhaps I just chose poorly from among the many options or maybe this is indeed the best authentic Mexican food that Española has to offer (I only ate here so have no basis for comparison) but I wasn't impressed. The service was good but we were the only diners in the place so we had our waiter's undivided attention.

Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

This is the first REAL Mexican food we have found in the area. The flavors were great! Seafood was fresh. Salsa Yummy! If you are in the mood for authentic MEXICAN eat here. Not NEW MEXICAN which is an acquired taste. As we have discovered.

Reviewed 30 June 2016

First of all this is not a New Mexican restaurant, it's a traditional Mexican restaurant. It's a unique place, plenty of options and a very friendly staff. I like their large shrimp cocktail. For me that's a meal. No te Rajes! is my other favorite choices. Octopus and shrimp served in red tomato sauce with onion and jalapeños with cheese.

If you're looking for something different try this place!

Reviewed 3 February 2016

Can you believe they have fresh oysters. Plus they are large and fresh. The other meals we had were not up to the same standard. One was the shrimp and chicken fajitas and a shrimp dish, which I can't remember. Wasn't impressive. We would go back just for the oysters. Some days the oysters are half price. Good Margaritas.

Reviewed 9 November 2015 via mobile

I'm really surprised that this restaurant has so-so reviews. My husband and I loved it! We ate there two nights in a row, first night we had red snapper soup, it was fresh and delicious. Next night we had seafood cocktail, it was authentically Mexican! We will definitely eat there again on our next trip to Espanola. (The only downside, I was really craving a margarita but they don't have a liquor license. They only serve beer and wine.)

1  Thank Catalina S