“If this is one of the best in Taos, I don't want to try any more”

Orlando's New Mexican Cafe
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in El Prado
Price range: USD 0 - USD 10
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch
Reviewed 13 September 2016

I stayed in Santa Fe for four days and made a day trip to Taos and the Rio Grand River Gorge Bridge. I just had to try this highly rated place between these two attractions. I arrived around 1130 am on a Saturday and expected it to be very crowded. There were a few bikers seated in the patio outside, but I chose to sit at the bar inside. The bar stool was uncomfortable and the inside chairs looked just as uncomfortable as the patio chairs as well. This is not a place that invites one to stay for a while. However, all of the staff were extremely friendly. I was the only one seated inside until more bikers started to arrive. These are not outlaw bikers, but RUBs (Rich Urban Bikers).

I did my advance research on this place and chose to order Los Colores, which was three enchiladas with three different sauces and three different meats. The red chile with ground beef was the most pungent I had ever tasted and was not hot. The other two sauces of green chile and caribe(?) were hard to tell apart. The shredded pork was very tender, as well as the shredded chicken. Seasoning on these meats is minimal. This was also my only chance of getting to try posole and I liked it very much. The pinto beans were also very good. I chose a bottle of Zia Root Beer to wash it all down. The price was also about average when compared to the other four restaurants that I tried back in Santa Fe.

1  Thank Paul B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,411)

Reviewed 13 September 2016

Both my husband and I enjoyed our experience in Sept. 2016. I ordered the chili rellenos: I received 2 rellenos made with anaheim peppers accompanied with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes drenched in very mild red chili sauce (all delicious). The rellenos were stuffed with typical cheese but they were breaded and fried to a delicate crispiness. I have never had them prepared in this way and I loved it. Also included was pesole (very bland) and pinto beans (good). My husband had the beef chimichanga drenched in green chili. He said it was pretty good. The green chili had a very minor bite of heat and was flavorful. The chips cost EXTRA ($4), which was a shock as it is usually free at every other restaurant we have been to, but they were very good and fun as they serve 3 colors of chips with their tasty salsa. The service was delightful and they all seem to work as a team. It did take about 15 minutes to place our order and we were the first in for dinner, but we didn't mind waiting as the staff invited in others who filled up the inside of the restaurant in that time frame. Decor was colorful and quaint. Price was moderate. Our bill before a tip was $31. We would go again if we didn't live out of the state.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

We spend every summer in Taos. Visit Orlando's 4 to 5 times each year.

Traditional New Mexican cuisine. Well done and consistent.

Creative, no......traditional, yes.

We will always visit.

Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

I have had dinner at Orlando's many times and the food is always delicious and consistent , and the company of friends is always entertaining .. One of the Best Native New Mexican cuisine in Taos ❤️ Defiantly a great place for lunch or dinner .

Reviewed 11 September 2016 via mobile

We very much enjoyed our dinner at Orlando's. The shrimp enchaladas and the chicken burrito was superb, while being reasonably priced. The margaritas, made with agave wine, were smooth tasting and satisfying. Service was attentive without being obtrusive. Highly recommended.