“The best museum!”

Deming Luna Mimbres Museum
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Deming
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This is one of the most interesting places I have ever been. It is known as the "Smithsonian of the SW" and for good reason. It is also totally free. I bought a lot of stuff in the fine gift shop there to support them including an amazing turquoise and silver necklace for my daughter that was exquisite.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"hidden gem"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 31 March 2018

This place could take up several hours of your time if you wanted to really do it justice. There is so much to see and a really wide variety of exhibits. I especially liked the small areas that were set up like shops and a dentist office. There's a quilt room, doll room, and lots of Mimbres pottery, of course. They have a few old fire trucks and lots of memorabilia from Deming over the years. Someone in the local visitor center told me they call this place the Smithsonian of the West. I can see why. Plan enough time to really take it in!

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Found this place today because we needed something to do for a few hours in Deming, NM. What a treat! Incredible displays of Mimbres pottery and artifacts plus much much more. Displayed really nicely and there are things here that would interest everyone. We were here 3-1/2 hours and just barely saw it all. Huge variety. A must see.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

I recently visited the Deming Luna Mimbres Museum while in the area, and I loved it! I was passing through Deming and had read great reviews, so I had to check it out. It was definitely worth the stop if you're driving through or staying in the area. I wasn't familiar with Deming prior to my visit, but the museum has an impressive amount of local history and local items, in so many categories. Highlights for me were their collection of Mimbres pottery and the section that had the old store setups. But they have so much more! I spent about 2 hours here, could've easily spent more.

As others have said, it's free to get in, but they accept donations.

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

So glad this museum was recommended to us by the park ranger. If in the area it is well worth a visit. My wife and I spent 2 hours touring the museum but given the range of exhibits it would easily take many hours to see everything in depth. Amazing such a small city has such an amazing museum. The city should be proud of this collection.

Been to Deming Luna Mimbres Museum? Share your experiences!