All reviews family reunion get away terri office alert heater microwave unit
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

People here are extra nice and great to work with. Cabins are clean and well equipped. Some of them have been recently updated and one is nicely outfitted for handicapped accessibility.
We have thoroughly enjoyed our visits in this little mountain town!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2018

If you want to unwind, Spruce Cabins is a great get-away location in quaint Cloudcroft, New Mexico. Just remember, these are cabins, not the Four Seasons. I've stayed in quite a few rustic lodgings which is to say that I love fresh air, singing birds and peace & quiet. I would say that it is a great location for a family reunion or a base from which to explore the beauty of the Sacramento mountains. One note of caution: this winter was very dry so the area is on high fire alert.

Room tip: Speak with the proprietors and describe what you're looking for. They will be able to help you select the best cabin for your get-away.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
ttscott1160, Owner at Spruce Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2018

Glad you enjoyed your stay. It is unfortunate about the fire danger but we do have two community propane grills available for out side grilling. We are all praying for rain. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 29 December 2017

We are returning spruce customers so on that note it shows that the first time we visited we were very well satisfied. We didn't have to deal with management at all because everything was just fine and we were satisfied. The only time we did deal with management was when we were about five hours away and we received a phone call fr the office telling us the mountain was closed in and out because of record snow. She was very helpful in giving us alternative directions and left the key on the door of the office.

This trip was not so great. We booked our trip on Nov. 13 and payed the deposit that was required of $100.00. We were involved in the recent Harvey floods and homeless and displaced for the last four months. We honestly had to scrape together enough money to come but decided it would be good for our family to get away. Sadly there was no snow and that was something we were really looking forward to. Ive stayed in touch with ski cloud croft and messaged them sev times to check on the snow. We decided since the main reason for coming was the snow and there was none we would be better stewards of our money and not make the trip. When we called to cancel we were told the money had been drafted and there are no refunds. As a business owner myself I understand. What I cannot tolerate are liars. First we were told that was on the website all along stating that during the holiday dates that the balance would be due a month prior. If that were on the website at the time I overlooked it but considering we don't have any money to just throw away I would not have neglected to do my part and cancel. However, I can't promise that was an oversight on my part. What I can promise is that they did not reach out via email as they stated they had. First, Trish at the office told us that she had sent an email to tell anyone staying during holiday dates the money would be deducted for the balance. After checking all my emails to verify that and finding none after being questioned she then admitted that email had not gotten sent after all. She then gave us the number to Terri ----- the owner to contact. Again nothing. She showed no compassion to us as Harvey victims. She did however, insult me by saying that she too had suffered personal loss due to a fire and sorry about ya luck. I told her she didn't try very hard to reach us to discuss the balance. She also told us that she had called us today and left voice messages to tell us the balance had been taken out. I checked my messages and there were no voice messages nor missed calls fr Spruce Cabins or Amigo reality. Another little white lie. My question is why did she try to reach us if the website stated the policy and if the email had honestly been sent? Her tracks should have been all covered. It seems like she's full of hot air and really bad excuses. Which after reading her reviews and responses to other dissatisfied customers is apparent. Not one bad review was backed up with my apologies and lets make this better instead it is one case after another on how the customer should have done it differently. Wow, bad business character. So not giving the cabins bad reviews but am giving a bad review for the management and the moral character of the owner behind the cabins. I even offered to meet her halfway since we were a bit neglectful in communication. To pay for housekeeping and any other expenses to them but she was very rude and wouldn't even consider that an option. Please just do your research before hand and be your own advocate and keep very good communication records so this doesn't happen to you.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
ttscott1160, Owner at Spruce Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

My Husband and I have struggled with this review as to if we should respond if any response to untrue facts. We reached out to Trip Advisor because there were several items in this review that are not with in the guidelines. The only thing they were will to do was to remove my last name which in our eyes alters the review the customer wrote and becomes a review from Trip Advisor. Their statement in an email to us was that they are not fact checkers.
Of course we are always concerned for people that book a reservation and then tragedy strikes. However, Hurricane Harvey was at the end of August and these customers book themselves through our online reservation system in November. When you book online you cant move forward in booking without agreeing to our policies. The first one being at Christmas time we take the full amount one month prior to your stay with no refunds. This policy has always been in place since we purchased the property in 2006. Second point, that is not correct we did have winter play stuff to do in Cloudcroft. It is unfortunate that it was not at the levels these customers wanted, but our ski area and tubing run are still open and so is our ice skating rink. We did receive over 5 inches on December 22 and they were to arrive on the 28th. The way that it all came to fruition was that there were two customers with the same last name arriving on the same day. When the first party arrived the front desk lady ask which one they were because we had two arriving. They stated that they thought the other party wasn't coming and the front desk lady stated she would give them a call since they never cancelled. Before she was able to call this customer called an stated they were not coming. She let them know and informed them of our policy of no refunds on the full amount. We had sent out an e-mail to all our customers on November 9th for the customers that had booked at Christmas before this date. We did not realize at first that they booked themselves later. I assume this is the confusion over the e-mail they didn't get. However, this e-mail is just a courtesy since our policies are clear. They then stated not to cancel the reservation and wanted to speak to the owner. I received a call from the husband who was very courteous on my cell phone. He did state it really didn't have to do with the snow but because they were displaced from the hurricane. I did state unfortunately our policies are there for a reason and we are just a small family owned business. Next thing his wife gets on the phone. She was very rude and stated I was not a Christian for being this way and the we had no compassion. I did state that we have been displaced also because of a fire, I didn't go into to detail that this fire killed my husband's parents. Now in her review she makes light of our compassion as if it was a joke. This customer did stay with us once before at Christmas in 2015 and we looked back and their credit card was run for the full amount then also. We did have more snow and called them for an alternate route to the cabins. We did receive a voice mail that we kept from her before this review that she used the same derogatory comments in which come across at trying to defame our names. We are not sure about her comments about checking her voice mail and not leaving her messages. We did however leave a key for them every night of this year's stay because they told us not to cancel the reservation.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

On our recent visit we found these cabins to be very homey and comfortable. They are somewhat rustic but extremely clean and well kept. The office folks are very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful whenever we needed something.
They have one cabin with roll in shower etc for handicapped access and some others with comfort height toilets for those of us who are less than flexible.
We will definitely be returning to Spruce whenever we are in the area.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ttscott1160, Owner at Spruce Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

We are so glad you liked your stay. We work hard to have the cleanest cabins and make each one of our customers happy. Thank you again for the wonderful comments

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

I'm not one to ever leave negative reviews but this one needs to be put out there. I booked a stay for my family and I in Spruce Cabins after reading several good reviews. Arriving to the cabin, it seemed cozy and clean. First night there, started to pull back the covers to crawl in bed...only to find the white sheets wrinkled, dirty and covered in tiny little black hairs!!!! Called the emergency line that was listed in our room. Waited to get a call back and once we finally did, no apologies were offered for their oversight of CLEARLY not changed sheets. They did come to change our bedding, however still didn't own up to the mistake and NO apologies or anything! We were told it was 'no big deal' and that when sheets are folded, they pick up debris from the floor! This was NOT debris, it was disgusting hair from God knows who/where. Also, upon checking out, we decided to bring up the fact that we were never offered and apology for the issue and we're still told it was no big deal since they fixed it 'right away'. Unacceptable and horrible way to treat customers. We won't be staying here again and I advise you to check your sheets before you lay in these beds!!!

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank kmt724
ttscott1160, Owner at Spruce Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2017

I hate to have to put this on a public forum however Trip Advisor doesn't have any other way to respond to lies. This customer did stay with us two nights. After checking in they called and stated that they felt we hadn't change the sheets. (however, we the owners clean our own cabins and change out the bedding every time) Within 15 minutes we came and changed out not only the sheets but all the bedding to make the customer happy. We did state that we change the sheets every time but the customer felt we were not telling the truth, my husband did state we we sorry but the older lady was upset and I guess only wanted an apology from myself. The next whole day of their stay they never came in to say they felt they needed a better apology or a refund! It wasn't until they checked out that day that the customer told front desk receptionist that the sheets were dirty. The receptionist stated if we had only know we could have changed them and apologized. It was then that the customer stated we had but she felt she deserved a refund for being inconvenienced for having to call. The receptionist stated she could not authorize a refund. I was in the other room and she called me to the front desk to speak with her. At that time the customer stated that everyone else had apologized except me and that she needed one from me. She threatened us that she had pictures and video of the bed and if she didn't get a refund she would write negative reviews. I did state we corrected the problem within 15 minutes and would not be giving a refund but did apologize myself for her being upset. She stormed out and left. We walked up to the cabin where she left dirty diapers out side and the door wide open.. We did take pictures as she turned furniture upside down and threw all the sofa cushions, bedding and trash all over the cabin floor(There were shoe prints where they had walked on it). We did place her on our do-not-rent to list. Not sure where I can send you the pictures but would ask for this review to be deleted as it is not correct and unfair for our business. In the past when we have had negative reviews I have always felt that we were concerned for our customer's thoughts and politely responded. However, This customer is just stating falsely and is not fair to our business and staff.