All reviewsrustic cabinchama riverclean roomsthe ownerlodge
Reviewed 31 May 2017

I have been to the spruce lodge now five different times and each time has been perfect! clean rooms, hot water, pet friendly, close to down town and stores. The owner is right there and is quick to see to any needs that should arise. nice river front and easy access to the river front trail. always a great job!

Room Tip: If you like to cook outside, save a few dollars rent a cabin without a kitchen and bring charcoal with a few favorite meals,
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2017

All the accom in Chama look like interesting places and as we pulled out in the morning, we both wished our itinerary would've allowed us to linger a while longer.
And we drove the length of the main street a bazillion times going "what about this one?" "how 'bout here?" "this looks interesting, dear" finally getting to... "oh, crikey: just pick one already!" We chose here and got the cabin on it's own, closest to the little river. What a score!
Our en route bicker melted away as we settled in here. Had dinner at the Elk Horn (another good pick) and spent the rest of the evening at the rustic cabin. We had a "let's have a cup of tea, love" time, rather than "crack open a bottle will ya?" So much so, we relaxed on the verandah, melancholically talked about the deep stuff, imagined we were at a hunter's gathering, and thought about how lucky we were.
You can't help it.
The morning walk was sensational with wildlife right in town and right at your doorstep. (Bummed I couldn't cross the bridge behind us ;) )

The cabin? It's tiny, with tiny quirks. So what. It's fine.

Room Tip: Couples should pick the back cabin, closest to river
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2016

We were pleased with the cool weather and riverside view at the Spruce Lodge over the 4th of July weekend. The cabin we stayed in has a view of the Chama river out the window and was very clean, with a very nicely redone bathroom. Our cabin did not have AC which we were aware of and to be truthful it wasn't needed! There was a fan Satellite TV, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and WIFI. We stayed in cabin 12, which is good for 2 adults. The property is a nice rustic setting on the River! We were pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2016

Nothing fancy, and not child friendly, but the cabin was cute and clean but be prepared for not much room Lots of trees for shade and the rushing river is delightful to listen to. Prices are fair in comparison to other cabins. We had no airconditioning but didnt need it

Room Tip: different room have different set ups. some have kitchens and some not
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2016

I ended up having an unexpected long weekend away from work and decided to go to Chama for a spur of the moment adventure with my dog. I had been interested in Spruce Lodge for a while because of its very rustic appearance and location right by the river - and dog friendly, even for large dogs like mine!

First, when they say they are at the banks of the Chama River, they mean it - probably 20 feet from my cabin (#14). The river was running high and fast due to recent rain and you could easily see and hear the river from the very charming and rustic cabin.

Cabin #14 is set very close to the river, has two queen (I think - maybe full sized?) beds, private bath and what the lodge refers to as a kitchenette. The beds, while clearly not brand new and set VERY low to the floor for a tall person like me, were remarkably comfortable. The bath is updated and was spotless, but only supplied soap - no shampoo or conditioner like you would expect in most lodging. The sink is deep, which was needed for washing dishes (since the kitchenette did not include a sink to wash BBQ tools and dishes). There was a coffee pot with coffee, creamer, sugar, sugar free sweetener, coffee cups, etc. To my surprise there was a television with DirecTV as well. The cabin was configured with a bed/kitchenette in one area, the bathroom, and then another bed and the television. There was a covered porch with a couple of chairs as well as a couple of picnic tables and grills on the side of the cabins.

There were a few issues. First, the shower was HORRENDOUS. Although the water came out quite strongly in the bathtub, when you switched it to shower, that was another story. Quite literally, it was only a trickle. I have very long, thick hair and it was a nightmare trying to wash it. We were checking out in an hour so I didn't notify the front office so they didn't have an opportunity to fix this problem - can't say how it would have been handled. The other problem was the grill by the cabins. They were uncovered and rusty. The grates could not be removed to be cleaned so it would have been pretty unhygienic to use - thankfully, we brought our own grate that we could rest on top of the grill.

Bottom line, this was a very charming, rustic, peaceful spot for a very reasonable price and dog friendly. I will absolutely consider this for my next stay in the area.

Room Tip: Cabin #14 was good sized, had lovely view/sound of the river.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo