“One of the few good hotels”

Sasco Blue Lagoon Resort
Ranked #90 of 113 Hotels in Phu Quoc Island
Reviewed 7 December 2011

It's seems that in Phu Quoc, Duong Dong there is no such la lot of very good hotels at all. We stayed in Sasco Blue Lagoon for 4 nights at the end of December.
Saco Blue Lagoon is in a good location - near the good sandy beach and walking distance from city center. Hotel surroundings is green (lot of plants), tidy and cozy. The pool area was poor and worn-out. Also there was no animation or some activities at all. However our group was almost the only clients in hotel...
I recommend to book the rooms in villas or chalets. It's better rooms than in main building. The breakfast was good, but as in 4 stars hotel it could be better. The lunch and dinner in some resort restaurants or taverns was much more better and cheaper.
The hotel staff was friendly, but difficult understant in english:)
It was very strange about the electrical troubles all the evenings and be careful with the expensive stuff, because I leave my Ipod near the hotel computer for few minutes and somebody stolen it.
As summary, I can say that this hotel is a good choice if You want to spend the quite holidays in the nice beach with the book :)

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank AGNESSSE

Reviewed 2 December 2011

We fled the Paris Beach Hotel for this location. (long story, maybe I should review that hotel later). I note from other reviews several people fled from their first choice of hotels on this island.The Blue Lagoon brought over a nice van to transfer our stuff to their resort. Had a really good massage but went back the next day at 5:30pm with 4 people standing around they told me they were busy and that I should come back a 7pm, I told them that would not work. Not good. The breakfast buffet was pretty good with fresh cooked pancakes and omelets. The pool was probably the best feature. Or maybe it was the great beach with free use of their Kayaks. My son and I enjoyed the little local restaurant across the street. The family, 2 brothers and a sister from the Mekong delta area are really nice, if you stop in say Hi from Gil and Kyle. The food is good and reasonably priced. Be sure and book the snorkeling trip to the southern islands and the river cruise of the National Park with the brothers at this restaurant. Reasonably price, especially since we booked the private tours and had a huge boat to ourselves for snorkeling instead of the usual 20 other people and the River cruise had just started this year. The brothers were excellent tour guides and very polite. Don't miss the night market in Phu Quoc. It is clean, well lighted, lower pressure sales, and good prices if you bargain. The van service, Sasco, is the company that owns the hotel so not hard to get a nice van at a good price to use as a taxi.

Room Tip: closer to the beach was best for us
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank GRC761
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Stayed at sasco for 2 nights. Negotiated the price down to 75$ a night incl breakfast. Friendly and very helpfull personel but limited knowledge of english.

Spacious clean and well maintained rooms ( ac, fridge, shower, tv and safe ), nice garden, large pool, tennis court
and a clean beach with free chairs and beach towels. The in-house restaurant however is way overpriced but there are excellent vietnamese and western options just across the street.

To western standards certain aspects might require a refresh or small update but these are only minor issues. And it seemed to me they are working on it as we speak ( repainting certain areas, landscaping, ...)

Considering the price i would certainly recommend this hotel. Im sure the are even better and nicer places in Phu Quoc but not for 75$ a night...

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank W0ut
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Even we stayed at this resort during the off-season (early October 2011), we were shocked with the high price, it was almost double what we paid 2 years ago. I have no complaint about the room service, security guards and cleanliness. However I did not like the fact that they wanted me to pay 50% of my total stay of 5 nights when check-in, something new to me again. I was glad that I asked if it would be refundable in case I changed my mind and checked out earlier; I was told that I was still responsible for 5 nights because they could not rent to other cuatomers and/or denied new reservations, eventhough it was only 30% occupancy. So I changed to 2 nights, and everyday I request a one-day stay. Save the best for last, when I checked out, the receptionist gave me the invoice of the full amount and forgot to deduct my 50% pre-payment. I still ave her the dubt that it an honest mistake.
I was dis-appointed about the in-frastructure in Phu-Quoc, there are lots of hotels and restaurants open to serve the increasing tourist, but there were no improvement in sewerage system and paved road; travling around the island on motobike was very difficult, tiresome and stressful specially when the dirt roads are wet and muddy (very slipery). The worst of all, I have hotels bery their trash in the sand at the beach, during high tide, these raw trsh spread all over the beach make it very disguting to swim with plastic bags, cigaret buds, and who knows needles.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lamnguyen58
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We arrived on Phu Quoc pre-booked at The Sea Star Resort...luckily we did not pay in advance, as the price we received per night via internet was $90USD a night...which is crazy for what you get there...we negotiated down to $60 a night, but they told us the rate would go up to $70 a night on October 1st. We only stayed there one night (as it was a torrential rain storm from a Typhoon), and walked down the beach the next morning to see if anything else was available.

We negotiated one of the rooms at Sasco Blue Lagoon (I believe it was a standard with 2 beds)...which was much better than Sea Star's prices. I thought it was great for the price. We are the only people who swam in the pool, and it was a nice pool. The grounds were immaculate...beautiful gardens and trees. It was probably the only stretch of beach that was cleaned daily (we walked up and down the beach from Sea Star to the end multiple times, and it was pretty dirty, but Blue Lagoon had a clean beach). The rooms were nice, though our room did have a hint of cigarette smoke smell, but it was not bad (but worth asking for a non-smoking room when you book). Breakfast was included for all of us 2 adults and 2 kids under 5..which was nice (since Sea Star charged us for our 4 year old every day for breakfast). It was a vietnamese breakfast, but they did have fruit, and a few types of bread. Overall I thought it was good for the money, but not as pricey as some of the other high ends resorts, but much better than some of the lower end resorts. Service was ok, we had to ask for things several times...and they didn't have any baby cots (even though they advertised that they do) but the grounds and pool made up for this lack of service. Something to note is that the waves were incredibly high (I am not sure if it was the Typhoon that was several hundred miles north of Phu Quoc), or if year round they have large waves...there was too big of a rip tide for our little girls to go into the ocean the entire time we were there (in fact it dunked my husband pretty hard when he went into it), so it is also a good thing we stayed at the Blue Lagoon for the pool.

I recommend renting motorcycles and driving around the island (I think we paid about $16USD for an entire day to rent one bike)...be prepared to ride through a lot of dirt roads though, since only part of Phu Quoc is paved (but that added more fun to the ride). There is also a good Greek restaurant near the hotel we liked, and a Pizza place (there are 2, but the better one is closer to Sasco Blue Lagoon)...skip the Vietnamese Cuisine restaurant near the hotel...we love Vietnamese food, but everything we ordered there was not very good (it is actually called Vietnamese Cuisine).

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family