“Far exceeded our expectations!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Samaya Bali Seminyak

The Samaya Bali Seminyak
Ranked #3 of 137 Hotels in Seminyak
Melbourne, Australia
“Far exceeded our expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Recently my husband and I celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary at this hotel. I have to say with all my trips around the world, this was the best I have ever experienced. Our villa was amazing and far exceeded my expectations and the service provided by all staff was beyond anything I have experienced before.
I have never gone on this site before but felt I needed to share our story so others can enjoy this same experience. I will recommend this hotel to everyone I know and we will be back next year for sure!

Room Tip: Courtyard Villas are very large and spacious.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sue C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We spent 7 nights in a Royal Courtyard Villa including my wife's birthday. With only a brief mention at the resort's Breezes restaurant during booking dinner for two the day before her birthday, the news spread throughout the staff like wildfire! Next morning the most beautiful large presentation of red roses was delivered to our villa followed by a delightful birthday cake for two! Birthday wishes from staff who greeted us by name went on through the day. In the evening at the end of dinner there was the marvellous surprise of the entire restaurant staff converging on our beachside table singing happy birthday and delivering more cake – and yet another presentation of the finest red roses! On top of this general manager Ray Clark took the time to sit down and chat. Wow – this charming Englishman has the Semaya running like clockwork – and in the midst too of a major, but very discreet and cleverly disguised refurbishment. And to think we were disappointed we couldn't get in to our usual place. The Semaya is our 'usual place' in Bali from now on!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank David_Jo_12
Taichung, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

This is the 2nd villa we stayed during our 5-day trip in Bali.

Pros:
1. Villa is beautiful, clean and spacious. We enjoyed the pool a lot.
2. The breeze restaurant is nice and food is good as well. Anyone can go, not just the villa guests.
3. The staffs are friendly. ( but only friendly)

Cons:
1. Tap and shower water is salty. They explained it's because their hotel is located to the beach!? Is it possible? If so, then this is not a five star hotel.
2. Many of their staffs, including reception, spoke English with heavy accents. That’s acceptable. But, many times they didn't understand what we were saying. I am not a native English speaker but we have no problem communicate with foreign customers as doing international business also in the first villa we stayed. They should train their staffs better.
3. We ate first breakfast in the villa restaurant, Brasserie. My wife and I ordered two juices, but they were from concentrate, not fresh squeezed until we asked. No restaurant or villa in Bali ever gave us juices from concentrate but only here. How come a 5-star hotel will do that.
4. I make a local phone call from the room to reserve a spa in Seminyak and at checkout they charged me 314 RP. about 4 cents USD. Gave 1000 and asked them to keep the change. The tips I gave to their staffs were several hundred times more than that. Why they care about this local phone call.
5. The internet disconnected for couple hours and the speed is slow.
6. There's a waterfall of the pool. 1st night, I called them to turn off the pump because it is a little noisy when we tried to sleep. 2nd night, I have to call again, but this time it took them half hour. then in the morning. it was turned on at like 6 o'clock in the morning and made some noises. I wonder which best service hotel will do that???
7. When we were leaving we booked a free shuttle and told them we will go Duty Free Shop first before going to airport. They said their shuttle cannot wait in the DFS but they have a contract with blue bird for free ride to DFS. But the truth is the blue bird cannot wait in DFS either and DFS has cooperated with many hotels not just Samaya. They just want to save the ride to deliver us to the DFS and let us to deal with blue bird directly. So cheap.

Generally, this is a good villa. But with $500 per night, just not worth the money.
We stayed in Kayumanis Ubud for the first two nights, not perfect either. But, simply with better service than Samaya.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CH H
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I concur with most of the reviews that samaya is a nice luxurious n private villa. But my mood was upset by 1 incident.

I needed to print some urgent documents desperately n requested to do so at the counter. The counter staff told me smilingly "sorry the printer ink is expensive. We have to charge u 5000rupiah per page (about 50cents US)." I tried to explain that I'm not printing a book, just a few pages n he said sorry he was just doin his job n following rules.

I told him nicely that samaya charges us$500 a night n I'm upset that he is quibbling with me over printing a few pages. He then called his boss up n then said "ok we'll charge u a special rate of 2000rp a page."

I left.

It's not that I can't afford a few cents but It really pisses me off that they're getting petty over a few cents when I'm paying 500bucks a night!

If the villa is reading this, pls relook this policy.

Other than this, most things r nice.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank etyx
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Well we came back and weren't sorry !!
Again an amazing stay. This time I was unwell for a couple of days and my partner could not believe the genuine concern from all staff, from our butler and breakfast staff right tioo the top Ray Clarke !!who guarenteed my wellness with concern, medicine and the best chicken broth !!!!!
We will be back and cannot wait too stay at the new villas at the end of the month.
We will always stay at The Samaya for the location for the service and for the total luxurious experience.

• Stayed February 2012