“Beautiful Balinese Hospitality”
Review of Hotel Vila Lumbung

Hotel Vila Lumbung
Ranked #41 of 148 Hotels in Seminyak
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This hotel is very different with the other hotels I've ever visited, real Balinese hospitality service. Even this hotel was old but it has tremendous appeal, everything is very themed with Bali. The garden looks so lush with beautiful garden arrangement. Cleanliness was good, rooms are spacious, breakfast fantastic, and the staff are very friendly. We can easily find the convenience store and also some restaurant near the hotel. Spa at the hotel is very cheap, I tried Balinese massage and it was the best massage I've ever tried. I will come back to stay here again, and would recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StuartCollin
Write a ReviewReviews (1,145)

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Nice Hotel ( especially the garden and the swimming pool ) however the rooms are average in the main buildings ( good size but a bit dirty : the sheets are full of stains, the bathroom was old and not really welcoming ... ).
Good 3 star hotel but don't deserve another one.

Room Tip: book a bungalow instead of a room in one of the main buildings.
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We just returned from Bali. Our first four days were at The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, so arriving at Vila Lumbung could not have been any different. Vila Lumbung is extremely quiet considering it is just off the main road. The pool area is of average resort size, but large enough considering it is only a small resort. We stayed in an upstairs bungalow which was very traditional and lovely. Large area and the bathroom was adequate. Clean and traditional aswell.. The restaurant buffett breakfast was fine. Fruit, pancakes, eggs, bacon - your typical breakfast. Food at the restaurant for dinner in which we only ate once was really good. It was around $6 for Nasi Goreng which was one of the yummiest i've ever had. A small walk away is a little cake and coffee shop called 'Bali Catering Company'. They sold amazing cakes, biscuits, Macaroons for 80cents, pizza etc. Sooo cheap and good coffee too. Further down is a few great restaurants/bars with cheap meals also. They heart of seminyak is a bit of a hike in the heat, but a taxi ride is only $1.50. Shopping we found good at their flea market, otherwise a $5 cab ride to Kuta is the way to go. Beach is lovely, but also a bit of walk from the vila lumbung. Only way in is thorough a place called Ku De Ta in which they will check your bags first. Not sure if we will stay again as I am more of a resort person, but it was cheap enough and overall good for the price. Think the sun lounges need a bit of a revamp. Oh, we had a massage at the in house spa and it was great. Just $16 for an hour....

2  Thank Simone S
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I'm sitting in the lobby waiting for my lift - and thought I'd waste time by coming here and saying how seriously awesome this place is :)

Upsides: There are so many! I'm only in a 'superior room' (not a Villa) but it's well appointed, the bed is comfy, the aircon is awesome and it's a great size. The bathroom isn't spotlessly clean but I'm not too fussy about that stuff - definitely nothing I'd complain about. I love the Balinese feel to the whole place, the open-air lobby is lovely, as is the open-air restaurant where breakfast is served. The pool area is probably smaller than I'd expected but it's a double-level pool with a swim-up bar and a waterfall. There's plenty of lounges and it doesn't feel crowded or noisy.

The staff are really friendly and welcoming, and everything I've needed has been attended to straight away. Breakfast wasn't the hugest spread for an Asian hotel but there's little pancakes, fruits, cold meats, cheese, make-to-order eggs (I had a delicious omlette this morning), juice and hot Asian-style food. I'm going to have some Spa treatments tomorrow so can't comment on that yet, but I did go for a wander up the street and found the prices to be heaps more reasonable than others out there.

Location is good, at the top end of the street, I went for a stroll on foot this morning (beware, there are no footpaths and some corners can be a bit nerve-wracking!) and I when I got back to the Lumbung sanctuary I breathed a little sigh of relief. You wouldn't even know there's crazy traffic outside.

Downsides: The WiFi is free, but reception from my room is dodgy - hence me sitting at the computer in the lobby ;) The safe in the room is also a bit finicky and once I went out thinking it was locked but it wasn't - this was my fault though, and I'm not actually worried about safety here as it's all pretty secure with staff at the gate monitoring comings and goings.

Overall I'd really rate this hotel, especially with what I paid for it. It's not 5* luxury but I actually prefer this style of hotel over pompous plushness - so if you can grab a room or a villa at a good price, go for it!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank star_236
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have been to a couple of four and five star hotels before and I was told that Vila Lumbung Hotel is a four star hotel but this is not what I was expecting. Rooms are very old and dirty, towels and bed sheets are for a million years ago and above all this hotel is not safe at all! The first day we arrived here, we put a lot of cash is the safety box of our room and after 4-5 days we realized that we have been robbed, the worst part is that this hotel is not taking the responsibility for what has happened and just asked us to talk to the police! Unprofessionalism of the manager was even more upsetting. We were told by the hotel's staff that we are not the first couple that has been robbed and I believe we are not the last. I thought people have the right to know about my story before choosing the hotel. I have the police report to confirm my story.

Room Tip: do not choose this hotel
5  Thank MASOUD H
HVL469404, Manager at Hotel Vila Lumbung, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear Masoud,

Warmest Greeting from Hotel Vila Lumbung!

First of all thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, and we are apology for the inconvenience caused you during your stay, in regards of you comment for our security and service, we had concern it and follow up accordingly, we are on processing to increase our service and doing our regular maintain for all of our room..
And for the money robbed, we are so sorry to heard that, as procedure we had investigate this case trough the staff and with you, and as procedure too, we had report to the police about your problem, the police has done their report and there is no prove that our staff robbed your money trough your safety box, our staff has been working with Hotel Vila Lumbung for almost more than 10 years, and we are sure that our staff doing their job as procedure. However by this case we had inform our security team to do their check to all hotel area and doing body check more deeply regularly, It is positive feed back to us for increase our future service and increase our security service.
Once again thank you and kind regards,

The management.