“Eccentric hotel experience”

Ranked #29 of 110 Seminyak B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Eccentric hotel experience”
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Casa Artista is definitely for those of an artistic bent ...both for painting & tango.
It looks most charming Argentina meets Bali but it has a few flaws. The cleaning is a bit haphazard - the bathrooms could be scrubbed a bit more. There is too much chlorine in their lovely pool.
There are many mosquitoes inside the room - why hotels don't use mossie nets in Bali I don't know particularly as there is a rise in dengue fever.
The tango music on their tango night is great until it goes on & on until 2-3 in the morning with accompanying loud chatter.
The food is quite pleasant & inexpensive.
The owner is very unfriendly.
And the massage offered is an acquired taste.
It's in a great location though & it is very pretty. It's expensive for what it offers.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank SatineSydney
TangoBali, Owner at Casa Artista Bali, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
Hi valued customer,

did we ever met? My apology that we did not meet your satisfaction.
My staff is trying their very best , but that was not good enough.
My name cards are everywhere in the rooms and my guest can contact me directly by email anytime , if they have queries or claims. It is a pity you did not make use of this, I could have arranged things that you could enjoy your stay with us.
You write viewable for everybody , that I am "very unfriendly".
I am sad to hear this.I always try to keep a very personal relation with all my guest except I am very busy or not at home. Probably I was very busy and did not see you. My apology .
Regarding the Tango nights, well this is what a Tango guesthouse is about.
My website says that very clearly and customers, who are not into Tango and very sensitive better to choose another place to stay.
I wished we had met in person,
warmest regards,
Stefani K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dili
Reviewed 21 January 2011

I booked this place based on the rave reviews it received, however, I'm not sure how that is possible!

The rooms are ok, but the scuff and finger marks/stains all over the walls are off-putting to say the least! The scuff marks where also throughout the rest of the common areas of the hotel. Some of the lights didn't work either and the mini-bar was spartan. The bathroom was dark – even with the lights on and the room was not that clean either.

I had the Fit and healthy breakfast, which was nice, however, on the third day I had to ask for the bread to be toasted and for the tomatoes that usually came with the meal!

I agree with RotterdamBali. The place is run by the two dirty dogs, not hotel staff! They live in the kitchen during the night (yes, your meals are prepared in the same room). They bark during early ours of the morning and it echoes throughout the property. While I was sitting in the front foyer, I noticed yellow puddles under the chairs on two mornings (I suspect it was dog urine, what else could it be??) and the hotel staff did not clean it up until later in the day! The foyer floor was dirty most of the time too.

Hotel staff don't speak much English and they are average on friendliness. The massage was not that good either.

With more hotels/villas available then you can poke a stick at in Seminyak, offering better facilities and more modern style, I couldn't imagine why someone would want to stay here, let alone come back!

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Roxhan
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 January 2011

What can I say? My best guess is that it is all going a bit to easy for the owner of this hotel. And mostly that is when the trouble starts.

When we arrived (on time) the staff made us wait for more than half an hour. In our room were still other guests one of the staffmembers told us. Apparentely it had something to do with the owner having friends or relatives over and forgot to tell the staff or just did not care. I don't mind waiting a little bit (even when I am on time and just travelled for more than twenty hours) but don't tell me it will only be for "five minutes". And just oppologise. It is really not that hard.

Furthermore the owner (never saw her though) has two (small and dirty) dogs. And apparentely these dogs have free acces to the enitire hotel. They even walk in the rooms when the door is not closed, begg for food when having breakfast in front of the room and even have a crap right in front of you (no kidding!!!). The dogs barked enough to wake us up twice (of five nights). Get rid of them, please!

The bed is fine, but the rest of the room was not. There was dust on most of the furniture. The ventilator in the bathroom was almost black (once it was white, I'm sure). The free daily two bottles of water were not deliverd twice.

Breakfast was ok and served outside the room. But once finished it just stood there up to several hours. With the dogs and the temperature it wasn't a pretty sight.

When other guests were playing very loud music, strangely enough seemed to enjoy it and did not asked the guests to lower the volume. But perhaps the staff did not notice because of the loud music they played themselves when were cleaning rooms.

et cetera.

When we left the hotel, a couple of wrong bills (laundry) where attached to our roombill and we had a pretty hard time convincing the staff they were not ours. How rude! When that happened we did not feel the urge to help make this hotel a litte better by telling the staff what we thought (and think) can improve. What a shame!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RotterdamBali
Dear valued customer,

my apology , for the bad experience you had.
First of all, Casa Artista is my private house and a guesthouse for tango and arts. It is not a hotel.
Well, my dogs, who are still puppies can be naughty from time to time.
In general I have always a good relationship with my guests, many of them have become my friends now and many of them love my dogs and see a good company in them.
When I call my dogs back they even urge me to let them stay with them. Like I said, we become friends, my guests, me and my dogs.
Your stay was in the peek season and we were very very busy.
Our staff is quite well trained but probably they could not catch up with their work properly as they use to do.
My name card with my email address is placed everywhere in the house and it is a pity you did not contact me directly, when first problems showed up. I could have instructed staff and I could have arranged better conditions for you that your holiday would have been more enjoyable.
My website will in future featuring my dogs, that people have a better impression.
I love my dogs. I will never get rid of them.
warm regards,
Stefani K
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We had the good fortune to stay at this gem of a little place for two nights and we're not unhappy that our taxi driver had not heard of it (tip - print map when you book). You never really know what you'll get booking online but we were really pleased - my wife never knew I had such good taste! After a long day of travel we arrived late-ish and were greeted warmly and shown to your lovely room without any delay - infact we still haven't actually formally checked in!

Casa Artista's rooms are set out around a charming, quiet and stylish courtyard which has a clean and well sized pool as its focal point. Towels are provided for the comfortable sun beds and it's hard to to actually drag yourself away and out of the neighbourhood. Speaking of neighbourhoods, its location is excellent: set back at the end of a cul de sac, it is a short walk to restaurants and popular bars such as ku de ta or hu'u. drinks and food are also reasonably priced in-house and breakfast is fresh, uncomplicated and sets the day off on a positive note.

We will defintely stay here next time we're in Bali and hopefuly for more than two days! Enjoy.

B&R

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Tokyo
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Lovely design house, few rooms, stylish in a quiet location far from the hectic Seminyak centre.
Paid 100$/room per night.

Pros:
- Big, nice rooms
- Breakfast is great
- Very quiet location, ideal for relax
- Lovely swimming pool, if you swim during nightime you can see a lot of stars
- Adorable local staff - never met the european owner though !

Contras:
- A bit secluded from Seminyak, taxis might have difficulties finding it, although a walk to Seminyak is 12mins
- Beach is far away