“Different from what you expect”

De Vagebond Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 41 Restaurants in Swellendam
Price range: USD 4 - USD 17
Cuisines: African
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Under New ownership since 1 December 2010, it became a Family Restaurant serving Local Cuisine and Traditional South African Dishes, including; Bobotie, Game Pie, Kudu Fillet, Springbok Shank, Malva Pudding. We stock some of the regions finest wines and have a fully stocked bar. A big fire will be burning in the evenings if the weather allows to welcome all to a romantic night of the best South Africa have to offer.
Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

For lunch, we chose the Vagebond cottage which was on our way. It is a nice little restaurant near the so called centre of Swellendam. The weather allowed us to sit outside.

We ordered kingklip fish (unfortunately it came out of the freezer), pasta which was really good, burger which was huge and good, mozzarella salad (mozzarella was crispy fried and different from what you expect to have as a salad), it was nice and the vagabond salad with chicken fried. The waitresss was very kind and helpful. If you want to have dinner here, it is advisable to make reservations. Parking nearby.

Reviewed 23 July 2018

Having read some of the reviews before going to eat here, i can only surmise that Tripadvisor have many complainants submitting reviews - I also dont think people submit reviews when they are happy which easily creates bias. This restaurant is my "go-to" in Swellendam.

Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

Me and my friend went there for dinner tonight. We asked to sit next to the heater at the open table because it was cold. While we were eating black men came in and I could see they are friends with the manager. The manager came and took the heater away next to us and put it at the table next to his friends. Not even saying a word to us.
We ordered soup. The butternut soup was terrible. Looks like purity and taste even worse. The service was so bad. We waited so long for everything.
This was definitely my first AND last time visiting this restaurant.
It so expensive and you get nothing for your money.
My rating for this restaurant is 0.

1  Thank sunshine197506
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Me and my husband had a delicious meal at De Vagebond. The portions are big and the food always tasty. Hannes the owner always makes sure we are well taken care of and the staff is so friendly and knowledgeable. I would gladly recommend De Vagebond!

Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went here for a meal and were left a little disappointed.
I had the bobotie and she had the Cape Malay Chicken.
The monitor was flavourful and as I expected but the other meal consisted of chicken thighs with only flavour on the skin little, flavourless meat.
For dessert we ordered Malva pudding with Amarula ice cream and a panacotta. The Malva was swimming in custard and the ice cream was pure vanilla. The panacotta was very strongly flavoured with coffee, which was overpowering and not mentioned in the menu.
The restaurant was kind enough to remove the panacotta from our bill.