“Despite a few hitches, a very good meal”
Review of Roca Restaurant

Roca Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 100 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: It just seems meant to be that the location of Roca on Dieu Donne is actually translated as Rock on God Given land. This becomes apparent on first observing the iconic views of the Franschoek Valley from the upper deck of the double volume Roca Restaurant. The visionary behind the Dieu Donne wine estate, Robert Maingard, has no doubt inculcated the dynamic restaurant proprietor, Craig Sherrell, to use the space in which the energy of sacred geometry has been introduced. A visit here can be lengthy as the beauty; the food, the wine and the service have an amazing effect. The upper indoor space, seating 120 covers has its special aura, complimented by the Seed and Flower of Life and the Cross of Loraine.
Reviewed 19 June 2018

Ate at Roca recently with family for Father's Day. The restaurant was generally lovely, and the food excellent (the ribeye is very good), but we had issues with two dishes of seafood paella. They were dry and the mussels disintegrated from being cooked far too long. Our server handled the situation well, the chef personally visited the table to find out what was wrong and then cooked two killer paellas with big, fresh mussels. That's how you handle a mistake!
The views, by the way, are incredible.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,132)

Reviewed 19 June 2018

The view from our table was breathtaking and the food sublime. I ordered the ostrich with peppercorn sauce and my boyfriend ordered the sirloin steak. My ostrich which I ordered rare came slightly medium rare instead but I actually enjoyed it more as it was cooked to perfection and seemed to melt in my mouth, while the mash and baby root veg perfectly complimented my ostrich. My boyfriend enjoyed his sirloin steak but seemed to really enjoy his malva pudding he ordered for dessert. I would definitely recommend this restaurant preferably when the weather is good so you can enjoy the view while you eat.

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

As soon as you walk up the romantically lit stairs and the restaurant opens up in front of you, you know you have made the right choice. A welcoming smile, a friendly greet and one is transported to a magical experience. The food looks as delicious as it tastes and the setting just adds to the whole setting. Definately a big thumbs up, thank you for making a memory.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

We had booked a different restauarnt for a lunch with some friends we were traveling with who were born in South Africa. I was perusing tripadvisor and found Roca Restaurant- not as highly rated, but it somehow struck me as more "authentic" and looked like the view from their outside tables was beautiful. So we changed reservations at the last minute. Then we found out that some of John's family from Cape Town were going to join us.

In the end, we were all very happy with the choice. Friendly service, terrific food (Mozambique chicken with Peri Peri sauce and Kingklip) and beautiful ambience.

Thanks to all at Roca who helped make a really nice afternoon.

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I were doing the wine country and our guide suggested eating at Roca. He said the view is just amazing and he guaranteed we would like the food. He was right about the view. It was spectacular. The restaurant was pretty empty because it was low season so it made it seem that much more intimate. My wife and both chose the ostrich medallions. We also ordered a Cabernet from the winery the restaurant resided on. The ostrich was just out of this world. Tender, juicy, and prepared with a very nice peppercorn sauce. The wine topped off the meal perfectly. It’s a shame I live halfway around the world. I would love to make it one of regular restaurants.