All reviews free breakfast the owner secret waterfall table tennis at home braai nights place is clean surf spots communal space private twin room staff were super friendly j bay surfer vibe enjoyed my stay local shops traveling alone a great sea view
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed here with a few of my mates on our trip through the garden route! Was definitely my favourite hostel that I stayed in! All the staff are super friendly and easy going and the vibe is great! We had a braii one of the nights which was great as it gave us an opportunity to meet some of the locals and have some good food

Date of stay: April 2018
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Ubuntu felt like a home away from home. I actually came back twice after my first 2-night stay, once for a week and then for 3 weeks. Peter (mgr) and Darren (owner) organize regular braai nights (they provide fire, and sometimes a selection of side dishes for R60, you bring what you'd like to grill) to encourage mingling. The volunteers and staff are super friendly (shout out to Eva, who I kind of adopted). I stayed in the 6-dorm all but a few nights when I was in a double - the beds are comfortable and there are a few lockers available (does need more lockers). The staff clean daily. There are two lovely dogs, Vimbi and Indah, who sometimes let you get them but mostly they laze around adding atmosphere, haha. Breakfast is just bread and cereal, but it is enough to get you going. My favorite things other than the people are the swings and ocean views/sounds - a porch swing on the balcony, and chair swings in the patio area, two big balconies. When the weather is good (most of the time) you can always find some little nook for privacy (there's even a little tree nest). If you're musical, you'll find drums and guitars to play, and they play awesome playlists during the day. People are chill, this isn't a party hostel, although they will sit out by the fire for a while. I do recommend ear plugs if you're a light sleeper though - doors squeak, walls are thin, etc. They also offer surf lessons and tours with Gabe, who is great. Man, I left yesterday and miss it already. Next time I go to SA, I'll definitely visit Ubuntu again.

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Terry S
Reviewed 20 March 2018

They offer very good surf lessons. We have been there for three days and took a lesson each day. It was awesome and we can highly recommend to everyone.

The hostel at it self is pretty nice to with a breathtaking view on top of the balcony and the staff is super friendly. We definitely would stay here again.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank eyert
Reviewed 12 March 2018

Excellent hostel, nice facilities, better crew, nice location just near the beach. Has a really nice balcony where you can braii with a great sea view. One of the best hostel hostels I ve stayed ever.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank agrusk275266
Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

Located very close to the beach and local shops and fab restaurant just a 2 minute walk away. Located at the quieter end of Jeffreys, ideal for surfers and those wanting a more chilled atmosphere. Self catering and BBQ facilities and several cosy common room areas.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank pres94