“Good choice for families”

The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort
Ranked #15 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed 10 January 2017

The hotel is nice...it's Wildwood, so I'm not going to say it's the Four Seasons...but it's perfectly nice. The real advantage is the location.

We usually go with 2 or 3 families...the kids always have enough to do, and the parents are able to relax. Shuffleboard, ping pong, a few arcade games and pool are all in the hotel, in good shape, and and accessible. Rooms have various configurations to fit your need (we've seen a few variations...probably not all). Rooms have a kitchenette, so you can hit the grocery store (Shop Rite just off the parkway is our choice) and keep some basic snacks and basics in the room. Beds are comfortable...even sofa bed is serviceable. Cable is good, WiFi is spotty, but they've gotten better. Parking is tight...but that's pretty standard for all the hotels in the area. They do a decent job with service, and the rooms are cleaned quite well.

The location is great, though. Beach is right there...ball field next door...basketball court on the next block. Fairly private public playground a few blocks away. walking distance to the boardwalk (but not so close as to catch any noisy overflow). Bike rentals are super close (again, not too close). 2 ice cream places within a few blocks...and a very short drive to some of the nicer restaurants in town. The peirs are a 5 minute drive (give or take)...or take the tram (10 minute walk to the end of the tram line).

We've been taking our kids there for years...literally from when the kids were infants all the way to their late teens. There's always stuff to do...very few "I'm bored"s over the years. It's changed over the year, but the basics are the same. Pool, beach, bikes, soccer, frisbee, touch football, or plain ol' catch in the park (little kid catch turned into serious BPs over the years).

The hotel on its own...solid 3-stars. The location...a confident 5-stars.

Room Tip: Go for the closed end of the walkway...facing the pool, street side, any floor. Like a private balc...
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Tom H
bruce hamlin, Owner at The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2017

Hi Tom thank you for taking the time to comment on the Crusader. As new owners we look forward to meeting you and your family this Summer. Bruce Hamlin

Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

This was the first time I and 3 other friends stayed at the Crusader. Our other 4 friends stayed there ever year for The Irish Festival They insisted we stay there as well. They said we would love it
So, we stayed and we did love the hotel
The minute we met the people at the front desk, we knew we were at the right place They joked with us and made us feel us comfortable. Each time we left or came in the hotel. They would greet us, with a smile and a greeting
We loved our rooms. They were clean and had everything we needed. I loved the design of the room. It was so clean
We went to the pool. Again, perfect! The temperature was perfect Nice and clean. Towels were available A very pleasant lifeguard
So, in a nutshell. The hotel stay was perfect I can't say enough great things about the hotel
My only compliment would be the restaurant. The breakfast was part of our package. The first day, my friend and I went down for breakfast We waited for someone to greet us. In fact, I asked if we just sat ourselves We then waited quite awhile for our food. When we got our food it was cold. We didn't say anything
The next morning, I went down myself. My friend didn't want to go. He wasn't feeling well
I went in. It took a little while before I was seated. I sat down. I waited quite sometime for someone to come over to me
In fact, I had to stop the hostess to ask for some coffee When the waitress did come over. She was good about getting my food and made sure t was hot. However, she never came back to ask me if I wanted more coffee or if I needed anything else.
I do have to say the coffee was really, really good!!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
Bruce h, Owner at The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2016

Thank you for the kind response. We hope to see you again in 2017.

Bruce

Reviewed 3 October 2016

Very friendly staff. Pool was large and kid-friendly. Lots of pool-side seating. Right on the beach! All rooms have a balcony with seating. We had a suite with a whirlpool tub. The trolley stopped by right on the corner and we took it down to the boardwalk. $18 for the four of us round trip.

Room Tip: We were 3rd floor over-looking the pool and had a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank alibell929
Bruce h, Manager at The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2016

Reviewed 27 September 2016 via mobile

Was greeted by an older woman upon check in. They were kind enough to let us check in a tad early, however, she didn't really try to see if our room was ready until I asked a 3rd time after arriving.

I then got the list of "rules" read to me aloud. Yes. Rules.
About drinking. Smoking.
Being loud. (I'm 32 and have 2 small kids, don't drink or smoke, either)

I may look young but I don't think the profiling that I "look young so I must be trouble" attitude towards me, or any guest is really necessary.
She could have easily handed me the paper and let me get back to my family waiting for me in the car to unload.

The room layout works, again if you have little kids and need the bathroom accessible after bedtime and to not worry about balconies or doors in a bedroom.

The sink and floors were really gross. Grout also looked so dirty.

They only give you hand towels as bath towels.
I asked for extra towels at the front desk the first night.
You'd think that knowing there were 4 in a room, they'd give you a few more towels. No. When I asked for them though, the gentleman at the desk told me to bring down the dirty ones that same night cause they want to wash them first thing in the morning!
Are you joking? My "hand towels that should be full size but aren't towels" aren't being hauled anywhere once I'm done bathing my kids for the night. I mean really, what an absurd request.

Black weird stains on the sheets. If you like to sleep on a bed that feels like a Broken trampoline well this is the place for you. It was awful. The bed is the absolute worst.
We both woke up exhausted and in pain each morning.

Their parking stinks. If you have a larger vehicle they make you park on the street.

There's really nothing positive or memorable about this hotel. We will have to continue our search for one that's a little more worth it & grateful for business rather than being reprimanded the moment we check in.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Summer3317

So sorry to hear of your experience. I can assure you as a new owner (Oct 11) we will do everything in our power to ensure your next experience would be a vastly different one than the one you experienced in 2016. Bruce

Reviewed 9 September 2016 via mobile

If you looking for a great location in wildwood this is the place to go. It was clean and the pool was fantastic. They had a great cafe for breakfast and lunch. Everyone was amazing. Can't wait until next year to visit again

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Jana B, General Manager at The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2016

Hi Chrissy,

What a delightful review! Thank you for joining us and taking the time to write.
We appreciate your business and look forward to having you with us next year!

Have a beautiful Fall & Winter season...

Jana