“We wouldn't stay anywhere else.”
Review of Nassau Inn

Nassau Inn
Ranked #40 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Johnstown PA
“We wouldn't stay anywhere else.”
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We have been going to Wildwood Crest every year since 2005. We have stayed at other hotels, but we have stayed at the Nassau since 2007. We alreays book an oceanfront room. The view from the private balcony can't be beat. The staff and Pat have always treated us like family, and we have always enjoyed the Nassau dogs: first Zeus and now Brinkley. We are looking to 2012.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Guilderland, New York
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I stay @ the Nassau Inn each year and for the most part I think it's a great place to stay but the need for new beds is necessary.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Boothwyn, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 August 2011

* Horrible Beds
* Disgusting & Nasty Staff (Owner "Pat" & Head of House Keeping )
* Terrible Service & Accommodations
* Unhealthy and Hazardous
* No Parking, No Internet, No TV, Sometimes No Electric
* No Privacy - No Security Staff Barges into room and bathroom at all times

Warning Do Not Go To The Nassau Inn, I stayed with my wife and 2 small children and they ruined our family vacation. We stayed in a Ocean Front Room which was over priced and was falling apart with many safety hazards. At first meeting they will be very nice and pleasant to you when checking you in, ( Don't let this fool you ) and they will tell you that you can have a late check out as we had requested upon check in. But then they will have you pay for the entire stay up front in advance for a reason, upon checking in, because once you have moved into your room the nightmares will begin and there nice pleasant demeanor changes into condescending arrogant remarks of no concern about you, because they already have your money. They do not take American Express Credit Cards because they know that if they did, American Express would make them refund the charges, so therefore they will demand a cash or visa payment because then you have no recourse to get a refund with them for there rip off charges, terrible service and lousy accommodations. They do not stand behind there accommodations, they are very unprofessional, and they will not give refunds once you have paid them up front, which is why they demand payment in advance so they make sure there paid for there AWFUL Accomdations & LOUSY Service.

The nightmare started immediately after we checked in, as soon as we got done unpacking the luggage the kids wanted to watch cartoons on TV but the TV would not work in fact it was stuck on one news channel that you could not even change or lower the volume on, we notified the front desk of the problem and it took until the afternoon of the next day for them to come and take care of the TV, this means the kids could not watch their Disney channel cartoons for almost 2 days. This seems like a small thing until you add in all the other inconveniences to be mentioned in just the first two nights alone.

As if hearing the kids cry about the TV was not bad enough, then I myself could not get any work done due to the internet service not working in my room. It appears that all the ocean front rooms have a problem with getting a wireless Internet signal and yet all the cheaper street view or pool view rooms get Internet service, there way of remedying the problem was to tell me to go the lobby area to get service which is inconvenient because I should have been able to work online in my room while my 2 small children would take their nap in their beds and thus watch them and work at the same time, but no the management did not care about inconveniencing us. You can not even get internet service on the balcony or porch breezeway area. They tell you they have internet service in all the rooms and that is a blatant LIE.

The BEDS are HORRIBLE !!!, the first night my wife and I did not get one minute of sleep, and we had to wait until the next day for the management to get us some extra pillows because they only gave each bed 2 skimpy pillows per bed. Every other hotel we have ever stayed at always had at least one extra pillow and blanket in the room but not here. Even with the extra pillows we could not make the beds comfortable enough to get a good nights sleep. In fact, I may have been better off sleeping in my SUV.

Speaking of SUV, forget adequate parking, the first 2 nights their we had to park ILLEGALLY on a sidewalk as there was no where else to park. Furthermore, We have a registered handicap plaquered and there are not even enough parking spaces for non handicapped people let alone for us with a handicapped permit. This means each time I had to park ILLEGALLY due to the lack of parking spaces I was risking being ticketed and towed away at my expense. Furthermore, what parking spaces they do have are so tight and narrow and many have obstacles which make it hard to get in and out of your car or worse yet end up in door dings all over your car due to people trying to climb out of their cars. After complaining about the parking issue I was told they would let me park in the building maintenance superintendents spot and that they would put a cone in it to reserve it for me due to the handicap issue. Well the superintendent left for the day and no spot was ever reserved for me and thus resulting in me having to go and get a cone from someone else to reserve a spot for myself to park in on our third and last night. I do not recommend this aggravation for anyone with a disability or even no disability for that matter, as it is un called for.

On our second day there while trying to prepare dinner for our children the power in our room shorted out and we were without power for a while until they got the fuses repaired. There response to this was " well it happens and we deal with it when it does at least you don't have a leaking window like all the pool view rooms have " well fact of the matter is as a paying customer I should not have to deal with there improperly wired building that looses its electric in certain rooms constantly. Furthermore all those other guest who have pool view rooms should not have to deal with leaking windows either as that is a sure tell tale sign of Mold Contamination being present behind the walls, thus leading to dangerous health risks.

The appearance and upkeep of the room had very little to be desired, in fact there was peeling paint on the ceiling which I hope was not lead based paint due to having 2 small children in the room at the time. Walls had damage to the drywall which was clear evidence of water damage behind the patchwork, but makes you wonder how much mold is inside the wall. The Small Tight Kitchenette has walls that are peeling apart. The kitchenette is only 2 feet away from the bed this means that the trash cans, stove and refrigerator are only two feet away from the bed thus being loud and smelly. Not very hygienic. Upon our first night checking in the carpets were not vacuumed and have all kinds of dirt and sand in them as well as the furniture being covered with a light dusting of sand . Even out on our balcony we had to deal with the water from the upstairs air conditioning unit pouring down and spraying all over our balcony making it hard to sit on the balcony without getting wet.

Noise from upper level in the morning there was constant banging and pounding which startled the kids, and was very annoying.

On our third day there due to all of the inconveniences that we had encountered throughout our stay, I had gone to the front desk and spoke with a tall lady with short hair named " PAT " who is believed to be the owner and expressed my concerns about our stay. I told "Pat" that the hotel should issue us some type of credit or another room or something for all of our troubles that we have gone through and Pat said with a condescending smile " she can't do that because then she would have to refund everyone else who was having problems also". Pat said she " was not going to do anything - it is what it is - other rooms have problems too so deal with it - no big deal " Well it is a big deal because I don't go away to stay somewhere to have a bunch of problems and to pay for problems on top of it all.

Furthermore, I had confirmed a late check out with Pat so as to have time to get the kids ready to go and pack only to be told that I need to ask the housekeeper. Well on our last day we asked the housekeeper and she said she would start at the other end thus giving us more time to get ready, but that did not stop the head of housekeeping at the direction of Pat from barging in our room scaring our children and exposing them to the public.

The head of housekeeping was Extremely rude, Arrogant, Nasty and Pushy. In fact she barged into our room as both our young children were being bathed and continued to push her way into the room as we told her we were busy bathing our kids. Even with our kids being naked from bathing them she did not have the common decency to back away and leave the room she just kept pushing her way into the room further, thus scaring both of our young daughters. It is bad enough that as soon as you open the door you are looking into a bathroom, but if that door is open then everyone outside can see who is in the bathroom and therefore because of the head of housekeeping everyone outside in the stairway pool area could see our children naked. Which is a disgrace. The head of housekeeping and Pat have the common courtesy and or decency of an ant , which means they have none whatsoever. PLEASE if you have kids and care about their well being stay away from this horrible place.

Save your self Money and Aggravation Do Not Stay at the Nassau Inn do not trust anything Pat or anyone else at the front desk has to say about the hotel as you will regret it dearly if you stay. Remember, that once you pay up front for what will most definitely be lousy service and lousy accommodations you will have no leverage or recourse to get a refund or credit later, as they know they already have your money and at that point there is no reason for them to be concerned about you and they will just give you the run around and blow you off.

Bottom line STAY AWAY, Run Far Far Away, from the Nassau Inn because if you check in there you will have to check in somewhere else just to recover from the nightmare you had at there facility, and your kids may require counseling from there disgusting behavior. This is not a Family Friendly place. Buyer Beware - Stay At Your Own Risk !!!

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else but this hotel. You will not get what you pay for. Run Far Away!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank Java G
New Jersey
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The Nassau Inn has to have some of the best prices accommodations in the Crest for the location. The hotel is oceanfront and you can get Oceanfront efficiencies for just over $200 a night, which is a very good price in Wildwood. We stayed in a small "F" style room which was a very basic small motel room. The price for in season was only $145 a night and for a couple looking for a basic room just to crash in at night and this is a great deal. No frills but we didn't need any as the whole day was spent at the beach and boardwalk. The staff is very friendly, we were greeted warmly by a gentleman at the front desk and got to meet Brinkley the owner's adorable dog. The pool is clean and the room was as well. I didn't move any furniture but no weird smells or stains and the bathroom was very clean and well lit. All in all if you are looking for basic accommodations with a great location I'd recommend the Nassau, the prices are some of the best I could find for a beachfront hotel and the place is run well and kept in good shape.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2011

stayed there 1st week of august. took a 5th floor room with private balcony facing the beach. payed 205$/night. the beach was beautiful. great swimming and boogy boarding. the view of the beech from the balcony was also quite stunning. the room itself- small, dirty and poorly organized. very old and quite disgusting carpet that was poorly cleaned daily. one of the maids proudly told me that there's 3 of them cleaning the room every day and that's why it takes them only 10 minutes to do that. well, it shows. poor job overall. the "kitchenette" is actually a frige, a sink and a stove next to the bed. literally, you could tun on the stove without getting out of bed. if you open the frige, you'd have to crowl over to the other side of the bed to get out. the bed iteslf... the mattress was horrible. we had to take it down to the floor and sleep on the floor to give our backs some rest. when we moved the other bed in the room we found an "untouched by vacuum cleaner for at least some months territory" under it, yet another point about cleanlinessless of the place. the outside grounds were fine. the terraces very comfortable and overlooking the beach- beautiful. the pool reasonablly clean. can dive. safe kids zone. overall, about 30-40% overpriced but a reasonable choice given the facilities, the beach and the boardwalk deal. also, not bad compared to the nearby places. all in all a solid americana beach vacation. may be coming back. there's also a double room suites available. may be a better option.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family