“Great place to vacation”
Review of Ala Kai Motel

Ala Kai Motel
Ranked #43 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed 10 July 2015 via mobile

When we arrived we were greeted by the manager Jay who helped with everything. The room was clean and comfortable with brand new mattresses. The pool is great. The oven is right next door. Beaches here are beautiful and safe. I have seen beaches in many states and countries and this is one of the best. We had a great vacation at the Ala Kai . Thanks to the staff. It was so reasonably priced too.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 July 2015

Only stayed here for a night about 2 years ago but I always considered going back. Its not easy to get a room for one night anymore and the lady that checked me in was extremely nice and helpful. Very clean as well and it was cheap for a room at the end of July.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2014

Let me start off by saying this place is spotless and that is the main thing. We stayed end of season and the place was spotless. Other than that...there is not much more I can say.

We had a two room suite . It was spacious but there is only one A/C unit in the bed room. Since it was incredibly humid and hot the weekend we stayed, we had to leave the door open so our poor daughter could be comfortable at night. This defeated the purpose of getting a separate bedroom for privacy. Even with the door open she was so hot in her part of the room she opted to stay with friends in a different hotel the next night. That was not the only A/C issue.

We returned to our room on a Saturday night to find a distraught family outside the room below us, fire alarms blaring and smoke coming out of the A/C I called the emergency number on the office door and instructed the family to unplug the unit. The smell overheated electrical wiring was strong. But, it was clear that the hotel was not on fire. In hind sight, I would probably not have gone to sleep since I know wiring can burn inside walls for a while before an actual fire starts but I was so bone tired, I fell into bed and went right to sleep. $ AM I wake up to the same awful smell and our AC smoking slightly. Again, so very tired, I just fell back asleep. Again not smart. I woke up around 8, packed and checked out. I mentioned it to the lady in the office and she replied with "I live on site, why didn't you call?" Huh? That was all. OK . We left. My guess is the unites they have which appear to be new, high quality Fedders units are too powerful for the current wiring the building has.

The bed was rock hard with no mattress pad. My husband can sleep anywhere but I like a little give where I sleep. Also, the mattress was wrapped in plastic, which is great for keeping unwanted critters out of the mattress but not so great when there is no padding and the plastic is crinkling under you.

The sheets were bright white and almost sparkled, that's how clean they were. this place in centrally located, very close to the beach and very quiet. it has a nice patio and the pool looked clean. Too bad the pool closed at 6PM. Would have loved to have been able to use it at night when we got back.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. There were too many little things wrong packed into a 2 night stay to make me want to come back. Plus the sketchy wiring scared me. If they said they added plush mattress pads and showed me proof the wiring was redone I might... JoAnn, the owner, could not have been nicer when we checked in and did I mention the place was spotless???

Room Tip: If you want privacy from your roomates and to stay cool you need to get two separate rooms since the...
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LadySith
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Stayed for two nights. This motel, while old and somewhat outdated, was extremely clean! Also, the bathroom was a decent size, compared to those in other motels I've stayed at in the Wildwoods. Would recommend for anyone seeking a low key vacation.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulinek
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights last summer. Room was clean and had basic amenities plus a kitchenette for those staying longer than 2 nights. Friendly staff and good sized pool to swim in. Overall a decent place, affordable and close to the beach.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple