“Some of the best sushi around”
Review of Benihana

Benihana
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 35 Restaurants in Short Hills
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 2 June 2016

The service and the characteristic of the place is nice and it is a good place for lunch or dinner. It is a great place for holiday occasions and all. I went here for my birthday a couple years ago and they did a great job. They really made it a memorable experience. If not I would not be writing that in this review right now. Also, if you are singed up on there website on the chefs kitchen then you can get a $30 gift card in the month of your birthday and when you buy two dinners you can use that $30 gift card, so basically one dinner is free.

1  Thank Jacob L

Reviewed 16 May 2016 via mobile

Celebrated my birthday here and had a good meal albeit with a bit of a delay. After attending hibachi in Disney not too long ago my expectations were too high. The food and the meal were good but the whole package just wasn't there. We had a 7 pm seating, were ushered to the table around 7 15 and sat for 15 minutes before even being offered a drink. No menu explanation was given. The chef arrived with his cart and introduced himself and did the standard knife tossing, the onion volcano, the beating heart rice and tossed the shrimp tail in his hat and pocket. That was it. No other interaction. Good thing I had great company with my dining companion and the food was tasty.

Reviewed 8 May 2016

I have written reviews praising Benihana. Although a chain locatoin, its fare is scrumptious. During our last visit we inquired about the dining area that is closed off from the main area with the serving tables. Well to our surprise, we discovered that the area is for those you have seen 'the show' before or are simply not interested in it. This is a great secret they have.

If you don't want to be seated at a table with strangers. If you don't want to forced to wait an extraordinary amount of time for a table to be ready. If you want a more 'intimate' experience. This is the choice for you. The same food without sharing the experience with 6 or 8 strangers, or children or simply people whose eating habits leave much to be desired. Moreover, you can get your food faster than usual and not 'experience' the show that you've seen your last 4 visits.

1  Thank NewarkScubaDiver
Reviewed 4 May 2016

Although I have been in these types of restaurants, the show is always better than the food.
Our chef was great and his performance was amazing, especially to my grandson whose visit was his first. We had the shrimp and the chicken and the steak, all of them were fine, the largest portion being the rice, and the smallest portion being the meats and fish.
I like it there because we get to sit with other interesting people and usually the chef talks to us, this one just performed. I would go back, since my expectations have been nullified over many visits. I would recommend this restaurant for its culinary experience and the performance of the chef.

Reviewed 5 April 2016

I enjoyed this well established franchise.

Highly unusual for me to go to a franchise.

We enjoyed our meals, lobster, shrimp, the premium filet mignons, their premium NY strip, they call the Imperial Steak, sushi, and it was all good.

The service was friendly, and efficient, although the chef was a man of very few words. I'm more accustomed to more banter from the teppanyaki chefs, as part of their performance.

It's a bit tired, not sure when it was established, but looks 70's.

Recommended.