“My dinner at Legal Sea Foods”
Review of Legal Sea Foods

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: JFK Parkway
Description: The signature dish at Legal Sea Foods – really fresh fish. Our restaurant is located inside The Mall at Short Hills on the lower level. You may choose to beach yourself in our dining room or at our bar. Either way, we’ll think you walk on water - be sure to see our aquarium of koi fish built into the floor. Legal Sea Foods has long proven that a consistent, high quality dining experience never goes out of style. With over 40 varieties of fresh fish and shellfish available throughout the year as well as an award-winning wine list, there’s no doubt why legions of fans have fallen hook, line and sinker. We’ve received a boatload of accolades including the honor of serving our legendary New England Clam Chowder at every presidential inauguration since 1981.
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

We visited Legal Seafoods on a very busy Saturday nite and the restaurant was packed with many people waiting. It’s a lovely restaurant. They even have a fish tank in the floor ! That being said, the front staff where you come in and leave your name are as an inept bunch as I’ve ever experienced. After leaving our name on the wait list we were told 45 minute wait. After an hour and checking back we were told 6 ahead of us. Another half hour later still 2 ahead of us. Finally we were called but left to stand there while this inept bunch called the next party and seated them leaving us to stand there. Finally one woke up and found us a table. We told the waiter the story which he conveyed to the manager and he treated us to an appetizer which was great. The waiter Brandon was great-couldn’t have had a better server. The food and the dessert were nothing short of delicious. If you can get into this place I recommend eating there, especially if you’re in the Short Hills Mall. Just keep bothering the front staff if you have to wait or you’ll never get seated promptly. I suggest reservations for sure ! Also the prices of their dinner choices were great !

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

I don’t know how it’s possible to ruin seafood so bad, sometimes the simplicity is the key and this restaurant forgets it. Our calamari were snaked in cheap sweet chili Chinese sauce, at least put it on the side...
I have never in my life ate such ruined scallops. The salad were horrible, sinking in oil, why on earth you would ever put such amount of it?? Canned corn in the salad is not cool too... they use to use it in Soviet Union when wanted some exotic. Just add cherry tomatoes, fresh cucumber or avocado, rather than cheap canned goods. Really bad food for people that just want to stuff themselves with no matter what.

1  Thank Elena V
Reviewed 30 April 2018

On a business trip this week I ended up in Jersey close to where a friend lives! We were able to go out and she suggested Legal Seafood. I was good with that. We went in and sat at the bar it was happy hour. I was not into the cocktail choices on the happy hour menu so I asked for a lemon drop martini, the bar tender suggested a Pama lemon drop and I was glad she did. It was fantastic, made perfectly, icy cold with the shavings. Then I ordered a lobster roll, they have both the cold mayo type and warm buttery. I went with warm buttery for dinner and could not have been happier! It was so good. Every bite! For dessert I had another Pama lemon drop! Great food with a great friend mixing business with pleasure! Cheers legal seafood!

Reviewed 18 April 2018

We have gone to Legal Seafood for 10 years +. And were quite happy, The food still is good but now the service is becoming terrible: the reception lady was fascinated by her PC screen and did not take care of us, the barman visibly does not like is job as he is permanently unsmiling and looks very upset, the waitresses are not duly trained and the service is very rustic ... but at least they are smiling and nice . Well ? this place is on the hedge.

1  Thank HenriNYC2
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Yes, here, as almost everywhere else, you get the best service when it's busy. And, despite efforts by top management, there are differences in this chain, from food to service, location by location. My wife and I hadn't been to this location in many years, but, during a mall visit, expected great food and decent service -- we got both. Noise? Only from a loudmouth at the next table -- otherwise it was bearable at dinner. Two glasses of Albarino, in generous pours ($11 each) were wonderful, as were the Cotuit oysters ($3) each -- which were identified for me by the server -- unlike the case at the Cambridge, Mass. Legal Seafoods. My wife loved her New England clam chowder cup ($6.95). Also unlike the Cambridge location, the table was cleared of starters before the mains arrived: Grilled Haddock ($25.95) for me with sides of cole slaw and roasted mushrooms; Grilled Mahi-Mahi with sauteed spinach ($25.95) for my wife. Both great and satisfying -- and at prices that look more and more like bargains, compared with similar offerings from other restaurants.