“Pleasantly surprised”

The Cheesecake Factory
Ranked #43 of 94 Restaurants in Rockaway
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This is a new location. When I lived in California a number of years ago Cheesecake Factory was very popular. This is my first visit to one in 10 years. It's BIG. I didn't realize how huge until I walked in. We got a booth for two (a small booth). The menu is ginormous but we focused on salads. There are three different salad sections in the menu - one under salads, one under superfoods and another in a separate "skinny" menu. We passed on all but a tiny piece of bread which was especially delicious since I hadn't eaten for a very long time - and it did not stand a chance. Both of us ordered different salads - mine had arugula, kale, and salmon with some other add-ins. Salad was decent size and fresh. No complaints. We had a bit of a wait for the salad but not crazy. Parking in the area where the restaurant is located is scarce - you are competing with the lower entry to Lord & Taylor and the mall entrance (right near the Apple store). Drop off anyone who has mobility issues at the door before you park cause it will be a hike. For a chain restaurant I was impressed. Our waiter was a young fellow who did a good job to check in on us.

TCF_Guest_Services, Guest Relations Manager at The Cheesecake Factory, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hi B, Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear that you enjoy our menu options and we can't wait for your next visit!

Reviewed 6 April 2018

When we first walked in there were plenty of open tables but the front seemed a little busy and disorganized. We (a 2 top) ended up getting sat before other people who were there before us(a 4 top). Those same people were sat shortly after us and near us. Another table was sat shorty after that (4 top). After waiting a server finally came up to the third table sat. She then came to use to take our order...never getting to the second table . After ten minutes (or more) of seeing no one ever going to up that table we found a random server to tell that those people were never greeted. (They have no idea that it was because of us that they finally got service.)
We gave our drink order and food order (because we had had plenty of time to look over the entire menu twice) . We were ready.
A few minutes later our server brought the *third* table sat bread. She then comes to us and say that fresh bread is on the way. Okay great, thank you. Five minutes later she comes with two small loaves of cold hard bread. Now I don't have silverware so I wait for her to ask her for some and to let her know that I'm sorry but the bread is hard and cold. (literally not able to be chewed) She says sorry and explains that she brought us the older bread while waiting for the fresh bread. And goes to get silverware for us, and the other two tables. Fortunately for them , we asked for some so they could have some too. So here we are . 45 minutes in...no food, no bread, annnnnd the other two tables get their appetizers. At this point were done. I'm afraid of what the food is going to be like. I'm annoyed that we would be paying for this experience. I can't imagine why a medium burger and Thai lettuce wraps were taking so long. The whole experience seemed unorganized and frankly, strange. We weren't difficult. We weren't demanding. The server was nice and apologetic but just didn't seem capable. We finally said to another server that we were just going to go. Without knowing what happened she apologized. I don't know if our server had tables inside, I don't know if it was the shift change, I don't know. I wouldn't recommend this place if you aren't planning on spending hours at the mall. I understand it's a sit down restaurant and not fast food but this was a slow Tuesday night. From the greet, to the drinks, to the bread, to the silverware, to the meal that never came...we won't be back . It's too expensive to deal with such incapable service.

Hi Jessiemc82, We are so sorry for the service that you received from us. We would have felt the same way as you did about this visit. Our service should have been much better and all of this could have been avoided if our team was more attentive. Please know that we will address this with our staff and hope you can give us another chance! Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This is the second time we have eaten at this rather new Cheesecake Factory and the second time we received abysmal service. The first time was on a Saturday and they were slammed so we were willing to cut them some slack. But today was a Thursday and the place was perhaps 2/3 full and the service was just as bad. 15-20 minutes before a waiter even came to our table. Ordered drinks and appetizers. Another 10 to 15 minutes to get our drinks (none of which were alcoholic) and another 10 or so for our appetizers. And yet another 15 before our entrees were served. And my daughter’s salad did not contain either of the two grains the menu promised and my Santa Fe chicken salad contained only a minuscule amount of chicken and none of the “crispy fried onions” promised, merely some taco chip slices. Needless to say, we didn’t hang around for dessert. Something is seriously wrong with management at this place.

Hello Drack1, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback about your experience. We're so sorry we did not meet your expectations, and we would welcome the chance to speak with you more about this visit. If there is anything else you would like to share with us, please visit our website's Contact Us page. Select “General Questions” from the drop down and allow us a few days to get back to you. Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 29 March 2018

My daughter and her friends waited for a table until 8:52pm. There were 9 girls and I understand a bit of a wait with a large group but they submitted their name at 6:10pm. I believe that because they were young girls ages 14-16 they were taken advantage of. Other diners got seated with parties of 5 and 6 long before they did. They checked with the staff many times to be told the same thing " it will be only a few minutes longer" Almost 3 hours is unacceptable.

TCF_Guest_Services, Guest Relations Manager at The Cheesecake Factory, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Hi Annietomk, Thank you for your feedback about our Rockaway location. We know it is hard to wait while you are hungry and completely understand your frustration with us. Our team should have better communicated any delay with the wait and please be sure that we will be sure to address this with our staff. Thanks again and we hope you can give us another chance!

Reviewed 22 February 2018

Service was friendly even though our order got mixed up with someone else's.
The food is tasty and there are plenty of choices that should satisfy everyone.
The Santa Fe salad is quite good, chicken, black beans, corn and tomato over lettuce with tortilla chips. The chicken salad sandwiches are very good and the mushroom soup special was delicious. Did not try the cheesecake, will have to visit again.