“OK”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 19 September 2014

After we bought a Groupon my husband checked the recent reviews. They were not good, so our expectations were not high. We sat outside on a Thursday evening around 6 PM and the place was empty. The owner, who many reviewers found rude, was very pleasant and welcoming. We both ordered the mozzarella with roasted peppers and found it good but not inspiring. The bread was different, and served with olive oil that would have been helped by a little crushed pepper. My husband ordered penne with vodka sauce and said it was good. I ordered veal. The veal wasn't bad but it was smothered with COLD bruschetta - chopped onion, tomato and cheese -.not bad but not inspired. I'm the kind of cook who sees what I have and throws it together even if it doesn't "go". This veal dish could have been made by me! Dessert was coconut sorbet in a coconut shell and it was delicious! All in all, a meal priced well over what it was worth. With such a beautiful outdoor piazza, this restaurant could be so much more!

1  Thank Jerseygirl46772

Reviewed 18 September 2014

After walking by La Piazza's inviting patio for a few years, we finally gave this place a try on a nice day when we could take advantage of the outdoor seating. Sadly, sitting down was the highlight of our visit.

The bread they served was hot and fresh, but it went downhill from there. The famous "Mozzarella Della Casa" was drowned in mushrooms that were doused in a thick balsamic reduction that was completely overwhelming to the point of being funny. While the rigatoni with sausage entree was passable, the chicken dish my wife ordered was underdone and covered with a greasy sauce. We would have sent it back, but service took so long it wasn't worth it, just like the visit itself. In a town full of great dining options, I'd suggest just walking on by.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We recently visited La Piazza with a Groupon. I ordered the Chicken Parmigiana and it was delicious !!!!! Great sauce !!!! The place was cozy, and the waiter was attentive and pleasant. I found them in Groupon again, and plan to return very soon !!! I am not sure what people expect with a groupon, but this was definitely a great deal !!!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My veal marsala was skimpy with a very lemony sauce. My friends dinner was a special and was better than my entre. Both were over priced. The atmosphere borders on seedy with dirty windows.I will not go to this restaurant again.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

First of all this was not our first time here so something had to have happened to make this place go so far down hill.
To start we sat down and were told we had to place our appetizer and entree order together and they wouldn't take our order until we were ready with both. Then we ordered drinks and had to ask several times for sweetener for the iced teas.
Ordered calamari app, salad and polenta. The calamari lacked any quantity. I know it was an appetizer order but it looked like it was a plate taken from someone else's table with leftovers. The polenta was supposed to be grilled and wasn't and was very bland. Thank G-d for the salad.
Dinner orders- salmon, veal, a grilled chicken dish, chicken parm, ravioli and shrimp risotto.
Veal, salmon and ravioli delivered - then we sat and waited for between 5-10 minutes for the other dinners. When asked they stated they were short handed , my husbands response are you discounting the food then? We only saw one waiter, a bus boy, a bus girl and the manager. Really on a Saturday night?
Never asked if we needed drink refills. Finally got our drinks after three members of our party were finished with their meals. Food was good but veal was not the proper temperature, risotto had only 5 of the smallest shrimp I have ever seen.
Asked if we wanted dessert and said no only ordered a couple coffees which the manager comped but then we were charged for the refills on iced tea and soda. NEVER EVER have I been charged for a refill in New Jersey.
It's really a shame because this small charming restaurant in ridgewood makes for a nice family gathering on a pleasant summer night. Guess we will have to find a new place!