“Close to Mahhattan.”

Howard Johnson North Bergen
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in North Bergen
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I chose only for sleep , shower and take the bus at $3 to Manhattan in 30 minutes.
WI-FI not secure enough. My cable TV in Central America is clearer than in this hotel. One kudos though, my dad left his cellphone at the room, when I call back, they were aware of it and kept until we picked it up.

Room Tip: Please choose any other hotel around same area.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank MariluCarvallo

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We were in town for a Tony Robbins seminar at the Meadowlands, so luckily we only had to be here for a few hours per night for sleep. Upon arrival, we were given a room on the backside of the building where the reception desk is. The door has a clearly marked "no smoking" emblem on the outside, but once we stepped inside the room smelled the the bottom of an old wet ash tray. I immediately went back to reception and the clerk, Habib, gave me a new room. It was in the building to the rear, which is accessed by a hill so steep you almost need a rope and pulley to walk up and down. Steep enough when you drive it you should put your hands up in the air and scream... like riding a roller coaster. The noise outside at night is TERRIBLE, and you can hear everything from one room to another. The mattress is the only thing on the good list for this hotel.

For those who previously rated and said they missed the breakfast, I can tell you one thing...

No, you didn't.

The breakfast is anything other than decent. Milk is keep in unrefrigerated dispensers from 7-10 a.m. The orange juice isn't fit to be given away free (orange colored sugar water), and the cream cheese looks like cottage cheese because it was frozen for who knows how long.

Sleep in your car instead. Same experience... but it won't cost you any money.

Room Tip: Book in another hotel. Best advice I can give you.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank nmpd2611
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Traveling to the country on my own...hotel all prepaid for...what did it look like something from the film "guest house paradiso". Awful smell, plaster coming off the walls, staff not giving me directions to the room (or offer to give me a hand with 2 heavy suitcase) you have to walk up at 90degree angle to get to the rooms to begin with. It felt like i was going to get dragged backwards by the cases at one point. At the top of the slope or MOUNTAIN there was no signs for which way which rooms were...I got told I was on the first floor...was I hell as like!!!
Finally after what felt like an hour just to find the rooms, I went in to find the bedding had stains on it and there was a weird smell, also spiders webs round the outsides of all the windows, dirty curtains/netting

OVERALL AWFUL AWFUL place to stay...and the staff arent very useful either!
Thank fully I didnt stop the night there, I dont think I'd of slept anyway the doors/locks didnt seem that safe!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank slt216
Reviewed 20 January 2012

The hotel arrange a shuttle service into NYC which was really handy. The hotel looks good on it's website, but is actually quite poor. Our room was dirty, as was the hot water (it was coming out brown and we had not been warned by reception). The heating didn't work too wel - we had a choice of either being far too cold or far too hot. The hotel was RIGHT NEXT TO a very busy highway and consequently we were kept awake by traffic noise all night. Soundproofing between rooms was also a problem and there was no remote for the TV.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wanderer2012
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Pros: Big room, easy check-in & out, free parking, 20mins drive to Manhattan, free breakfast
Cons: Room needs update, they look run down, WiFi very weak

Stayed here just after Christmas'11 when visiting New York with my brother. We just needed a decent place to shower & sleep close to Manhattan. If you're looking for a cheaper place to stay than Manhattan but close by, check this out. Manhattan is a short drive via the tunnel. There's a PATH train station some place close, but we drove. Woke up too late to try the free breakfast, there's a Dunkin Donuts & a Wendy's close by too. Great if you just need a place to stay, the room we stayed in was really big (2 queen beds). The place needs a general update, the furniture, carpet, etc were old. It seemed as if no care of taken when maintenance was done. If you'd be spending time in the room or have someone who's fussy, look elsewhere. There are lots of choices nearby - Comfort Inn, Days Inn, to name two.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2.7 km away
Meadowlands River Inn
Meadowlands River Inn
#2 of 15 in Secaucus

Been to Howard Johnson North Bergen? Share your experiences!