“Authentic Portuguese cuisine”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 August 2017

There's nothing fancy about this "joint" but the food is terrific. When in the area, I always have a meal at Portugalia.

Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

Great food great ambiance. Real Portuguese food. Great lunch place . Try the prego. Nice steak Sandwich with a glass of red.

Reviewed 2 December 2016

This food is AMAZING. You know you are in an authentic Portuguese restaurant when English is not the spoken language.

I went there for the oxtail but they were all out by dinner time. I ordered the BBQ chicken which is something I never do at a Portuguese restaurant. I always get some kind of seafood. This chicken was amazing and now I know why so many people order it. The half chicken was more than enough food. My friend got pork and clams. The presentation itself was picture worthy. The sangria was great. Nothing we had was short of amazing.

Parking on the street can be tough but across the street from Portugalia is a huge parking lot to use.

Reviewed 1 December 2016

We were in the Newark area and went here to celebrate a birthday. First, the place is not imposing from the outside, you will feel as if you are sitting in a cafe, restaurant in Portugal, maybe in Lisbon. Everyone around you is speaking Portuguese. The food is good, and portions are generous, but it is not outstanding. The location is not glamorous, service is friendly, bread is wonderful, food maybe a tad over salted. The desserts go for the Flan it is delicious.

Reviewed 17 November 2016

If you are interested in eating authentic Portuguese food, go to the Portugalia Bar & Restaurant in Newark, NJ. Don't be afraid to try something new and for those less adventurous, our waiter was more than willing to modify our selections, within reason. Waiter was VERY accommodating even when we asked him to call a cab as we were going to a show at the Pru Center. He even waited outside with us in the cold for the taxis.

Been to Portugalia Bar & Restaurant? Share your experiences!