“Authentic Amazing Food”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 December 2016

This food is AMAZING. You know you are in an authentic Portuguese restaurant when English is not the spoken language.

I went there for the oxtail but they were all out by dinner time. I ordered the BBQ chicken which is something I never do at a Portuguese restaurant. I always get some kind of seafood. This chicken was amazing and now I know why so many people order it. The half chicken was more than enough food. My friend got pork and clams. The presentation itself was picture worthy. The sangria was great. Nothing we had was short of amazing.

Parking on the street can be tough but across the street from Portugalia is a huge parking lot to use.

Reviewed 1 December 2016

We were in the Newark area and went here to celebrate a birthday. First, the place is not imposing from the outside, you will feel as if you are sitting in a cafe, restaurant in Portugal, maybe in Lisbon. Everyone around you is speaking Portuguese. The food is good, and portions are generous, but it is not outstanding. The location is not glamorous, service is friendly, bread is wonderful, food maybe a tad over salted. The desserts go for the Flan it is delicious.

Reviewed 17 November 2016

If you are interested in eating authentic Portuguese food, go to the Portugalia Bar & Restaurant in Newark, NJ. Don't be afraid to try something new and for those less adventurous, our waiter was more than willing to modify our selections, within reason. Waiter was VERY accommodating even when we asked him to call a cab as we were going to a show at the Pru Center. He even waited outside with us in the cold for the taxis.

Reviewed 21 March 2016

Newark is well known for its collection of Portuguese restaurants. They apparently come in s variety of guises. We chose this one since it was highly rated in Tripadvisor.
The decor might be described as simple and functional - nothing worthy or any remarks. When we arrived at 8 pm on a Friday night every seat was occupied and the diners genuinely seemed to be enjoying themselves. After a short wait we were seated. My companion and I had considered a first course, but when ordered the Portuguese sausage the waited indicated that it would be enough for two, so I succumbed tot eh temptation. Indeed it was a large and succulently tasty portion of sausage. His red snapper with sides included was also a treat. My "paella" (this is a Portuguese restaurant!) was huge, packed with lobster, clams, mussels, shrimp, etc. and a few more slices of sausage along with a delightfully seasoned rice. Not elegant, but very tasty and a real treat. I finished less than half, I think, but another colleague enjoyed what I took away. The waiter suggested glasses of a very suitable Portuguese red. The whole bill for the two of us came to less than $85 before tip. All in all a very tasty and very hardy meal in a really neighborhood atmosphere. Would definitely return there if I end up in the Newark area again.

1  Thank Joel_Tzipi
Reviewed 17 December 2015

I went there with my brother-in-law Tony (he is Potuguese)because he invited me and my friend for dinner.The food very good,the service ok and the atmosphere ok for a family restaurant in the heart of the Portuguese community the service not so good i had a very nice dinner but not what i really like so i can can go there again,but a good family oriented place for some Portuguese.

1  Thank Chrischris111

Been to Portugalia Bar & Restaurant? Share your experiences!