“Authentic Portuguese Food!”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 November 2016

If you are interested in eating authentic Portuguese food, go to the Portugalia Bar & Restaurant in Newark, NJ. Don't be afraid to try something new and for those less adventurous, our waiter was more than willing to modify our selections, within reason. Waiter was VERY accommodating even when we asked him to call a cab as we were going to a show at the Pru Center. He even waited outside with us in the cold for the taxis.

Reviewed 21 March 2016

Newark is well known for its collection of Portuguese restaurants. They apparently come in s variety of guises. We chose this one since it was highly rated in Tripadvisor.
The decor might be described as simple and functional - nothing worthy or any remarks. When we arrived at 8 pm on a Friday night every seat was occupied and the diners genuinely seemed to be enjoying themselves. After a short wait we were seated. My companion and I had considered a first course, but when ordered the Portuguese sausage the waited indicated that it would be enough for two, so I succumbed tot eh temptation. Indeed it was a large and succulently tasty portion of sausage. His red snapper with sides included was also a treat. My "paella" (this is a Portuguese restaurant!) was huge, packed with lobster, clams, mussels, shrimp, etc. and a few more slices of sausage along with a delightfully seasoned rice. Not elegant, but very tasty and a real treat. I finished less than half, I think, but another colleague enjoyed what I took away. The waiter suggested glasses of a very suitable Portuguese red. The whole bill for the two of us came to less than $85 before tip. All in all a very tasty and very hardy meal in a really neighborhood atmosphere. Would definitely return there if I end up in the Newark area again.

1  Thank Joel_Tzipi
Reviewed 17 December 2015

I went there with my brother-in-law Tony (he is Potuguese)because he invited me and my friend for dinner.The food very good,the service ok and the atmosphere ok for a family restaurant in the heart of the Portuguese community the service not so good i had a very nice dinner but not what i really like so i can can go there again,but a good family oriented place for some Portuguese.

1  Thank Chrischris111
Reviewed 14 December 2015

Oh boy, we loved this place. We did a lot of research for a Portuguese place to go and we were NOT disappointed. I am still dreaming of the Garlic Shrimp Appetizer and my husband was in love with the Mussels Marinara -- nothing like any you'd get in an Italian place. Then I cut some pork tenderloin, I think and my husband had a steak -- both were so very good. We had so much to take home and enjoy again!

1  Thank trvel4fun
Reviewed 29 October 2015 via mobile

Hands down best food in newark, quite ambiance, great service and good prices..
Im a regular there very family friendly and portuguese orientated

1  Thank Hnc S