“Shhhh!! Oh - how surprising ! Oh - how good !”

Chico's Mexican Grill
Reviewed 30 May 2016

would like to keep this place a secret. but not fair to not share this gem.
funky atmosphere, only a few small tables.
order at kitchen service counter - meal then brought to your table.
BYOB. THIS IS NOW MY GO TO MEXICAN SPOT.
a busy buzz ambience(?) but very organized kitchen and efficient server(s) - saw only 1.
OH- ABOUT THE FOOD ? my wife and I were blown away ! FRESH, TASTY, NICE PORTIONS. moderate prices. quality and value
chips and green mod. hot salsa were kitchen made and delicious.
chicken mole and seafood enchiladas were outstanding !!

will try take-out next time if passing by but it's fun watching all the action while dipping chips in salsa and sipping your tequila and modelo especial. A MUST TRY FOR LOCALS - WE WANT THIS PLACE TO BE THERE FOREVER. sssssshhhhhh enjoy.

Reviewed 22 May 2016

This place was recommended to us by friends who go frequently and love it. It is a very small place with under 10 tables. I would say it has the feel of a quick workday lunch place , 3 TVs , large front counter . They do offer local delivery, if you live in Morris Plains. The service seemed slow considering that only three of the tables were filled and there were just a few people picking up takeout. I received my order about 3 minutes before my husband received his, which might be expected at an 8+ table, but not a table for 2... mine was lukewarm and his was too hot to eat.
I am solidly mild/medium when eating Mexican food , but I felt that my food lacked flavor, heat and salt. The "Fresh Made" tortillia chips were tricolor and slightly stale, I am not so sure they were made in house. This would be a good Mexican place for people that don't like spicy food and/or are on a salt restricted diet.
The staff was very friendly and the place had regulars in it, so it is popular. I would say the food was certainly pretty to look at and the price was great.
My husband enjoyed his food , but this isn't a place that I must go back to.

Reviewed 31 January 2016

This is a small (7 tables) hole in the wall place. We are constantly searching for a good Mexican place in NJ. This was quite a surprise. We ordered a smothered burrito and fish tacos. The fish tacos had a fantastic taste; fresh and light tilapia with a hint of sweet from the pineapple salsa. The smothered burrito was tender chicken with a burst of flavor. Delish. We went with the green sauce, and will try the red next time.

Definitely worth a try.

Reviewed 23 January 2016

Can it be, beans that are not mushed together? Each element adding a taste you can...taste. Nice people. BYO. And the mole sauce, one of the best period. Take out busy, but plenty of seating also unlike Carmel Haifa across the street (good food, but take out only recommended) and without the crazy crowds squeezing into Arthur's.

Reviewed 15 December 2015 via mobile

Just found Chico's, might be my new favorite place for Mexican Food. It's bring your own, friendly service, the food was excellent. We had the chicken mole enchiladas and the churrasco. The steak was cooked and seasoned perfectly. The mole was very good. Rice and beans wonderful. Can not wait to try again.