“Night out with friends.”
Review of Shanghai Jazz

Shanghai Jazz
Reserve with OpenTable
Shanghai Jazz is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 74 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: USD 20 - USD 45
Cuisines: American, Asian, Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

We had lived in Madison,NJ for a short period of time and had the opportunity to meet the owners of this restaurant Shanghai Jazz. My husband became friends with Dave and his wife Martha. Shanghai was in walking distance from where we lived so we were there at least twice a week. Outstanding Jazz musician's from the tri areas. Had the chance to meet Freddy Cole, brother of Nat King Cole, oh my!!!! Now the food, very tasty, and the Snapper, wonderful. Unfortunately, Dave and Martha sold the restaurant to a young man, we met him last Saturday and was very satisfied. He was very pleasant. We have had birthday parties there and just a nice restaurant to visit. I would reccomend this restaurant to my friends and family.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I love Shanghai Jazz!!! It’s been remodeled and I love the new colors, the new “stage” area and the new piano! Check out the cocktails list, I recommend the Buena Vista. Also they have chicken wings now!! Stop in for dinner or just come later for a drink. Highly recommend.

1  Thank JazzSooner
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

There’s 2 reasons why I have to rate this place harshly. One is that my parents have told me multiple times how good this place is. The other reason is that our favorite Chinese restaurant is Sang Kee in Philly, which has received has received many awards for the best Chinese food in Philly so I hold Chinese to a higher standard. I also must say that the jazz was awesome but I am not including the quality of the music in my review. The review is based solely on the food. The food was bad. Let’s start with the special wonton soup. Broth was bland. Pork was tough and not juicy enough or flavorful enough. Most likely frozen from another vendor. The pasta in the wontons was thick and not delicate like high level Chinese wontons. The filling was average. The spareribs were not hot and low quality meat. The hot and sour soup was average at best. Entrees. The $38 duck entree was not good. First of all why would I want my duck wrapped up like a burrito?? And the duck itself was dry and needed a thick sauce which was too sweet and obviously not homemade. I’m used to duck chopped up with a cleaver and still on the bone and requires no tick sweet sauce to moisten it. My sisters dish chicken and eggplant was drowning in a sauce that was too sweet. Even the lemon sorbet was too sweet and not homemade and tasted like it was a 99cent option at a rusty ice cream truck. If Gordon Ramsey ate here, he would be screaming and yelling at the owner like crazy!!

Reviewed 27 March 2018

We had a party of six dine here this past weekend. The food was great and the music was fantastic! Ty Stephens and his band entertained us with music and did a fantastic job singing renditions of Stevie Wonder's most popular songs while we celebrated our daughter's 28th birthday. The food was just as good as the music, as we began the night with a Dim Sum Sampler for six (see picture below). For entrees, we mixed it up as we ordered six different dinners. Beef short ribs (see picture below), Chicken & Basil, Filet Mignon in garlic sauce, Shrimp with Snow Peas, Firecracker Beef, and the Triangle, which was my favorite and consisted of Pork, Chicken and Beef strips in a spicy garlic sauce. For dessert, we ordered the Special Dessert Sampler, which was presented on a platter with birthday candles. A very special dinner with dear friends and family. We'll definitely be back!

1  Thank Tom E
Reviewed 26 March 2018

I took my husband here for his birthday and right away the owner introduced himself and wished him a happy birthday. The service is amazing! You can tell the staff is happy to be there as it seems they help out with all the tables. The food is very good and the music was also great! It wasn't too loud either which is pretty impressive. It's a good sized venue, but still felt cozy.

1  Thank Barbara S